“What a disappointment!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Sterling

Sterling
Reserve with OpenTable
Sterling is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 641 Restaurants in Gatineau
Price range: $24 - $5,875
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Canadian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: District des Riverains
Description: Our restaurant's name reflects the quality of the meat that is served. Sterling Silver's remarkable breeding philosophy produces the highest quality of meat in Canada. Not only does Sterling Silver ensure incredible taste and tenderness, it surpasses any expectations.
“What a disappointment!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

My girlfriend invited me there for my birthday. She was recommended by a friend of her's and she also figured that by the tripadvisor reviews it would be a good place... We were seated on the second floor, in the middle of the room. The restaurant looks nice, there's a pianist playing, our table was fine. We figured this would be a nice meal. Our waiter brought the menus and we took a look. We ordered beer. We immediately noticed that a lot of attention was being given to a private group of 20 or so people. Most waiters are in and out of that room constantly. After about 5 minutes, we had chosen our meal and deposited our menus on the table. Our beer arrived.

Then we waited...

30 minutes had passed with no one checking on us and taking our order. I kept looking at my watch, in disbelief. Eventually, our waiter came and asked for our order. By then I had almost finished my beer, which I was sipping. We both ordered a cold and hot starter each, as well as a 12oz Filet Mignon. We are big fans of steak and whenever we travel, we try each place's steakhouse. The waiter left with our order. After about 10 minutes, we noticed that a group, which arrived about half an hour after us had a basket of bread. Now, as this was already late in the evening and with the wait and all, we would have appreciated the bread. My girlfriend catches the waiter as politely asks for bread like everyone else has. Another waiter comes by with a basket of bread and leaves. Then we laughed because the porcelain butter cup was empty. So we asked our waiter for butter and he said "someone brought this empty butter cup?". Anyway, he ends up bringing butter and we tried the bread. We laughed again. You know when you cut a baguette and after a while it becomes dry on what should have been the soft part? Well our bread was so dry it would have easily passed as Grissol snacks. I'm not sure when they had cut the baguette, but it was a long time ago. We also noticed everyone was getting the "meat presentation" which is usual in most steakhouses... We never did.

Eventually our first starter showed up. I had 6 oysters and my girlfriend had the beef tartar. My oysters tasted good, although the citrus vinegar sauce was bland. Presentation was also poor, as they had mangled the oysters. For my girlfriend's beef tartar, it was a decent portions and came with enough biscuits. Unfortunately, it was missing a good kick in spices. In fact, it is wasn't for the capers adding an acidic taste to it, it would probably taste like plain raw ground beef. She's had quite a few beef tartar over the years and this one was her second worse.

For our next starter, I had the Fois Gras poutine and she had the Escargots feuilletés. This time we were both satisfied with our plate. My poutine was amazing, the fries were great. The Camembert cheese perfectly matched the Fois Gras. Good success there. My girlfriend also enjoyed the Escargots, which was a generous portion. Eventually came the main course of our meal.

The moment we were waiting for.

I had ordered a medium rare filet mignon with a baked potatoes and Port sauce on the side. My girlfriend ordered the same except homemade fries and mushroom sauce on the side. The plate itself looked decent, the meat wasn't bathing in juices and the sear looked good. We both had very different portions of the veggies that accompanied the meat though. As I cut my first piece, I noticed the meat is perfectly cooked. Even sear around the meat, bright pink and moist on the inside. I also, unexpectedly, noticed that it had a lot of fat and tiny veins in the meat. The filet mignon is usually the cut with the least amount of fat. And I've never had a filet mignon with veins in it. So I had a bite, and it was quite bad. It tasted extremely watery. It didn't taste like meat at all. My girlfriend's filet was also tasteless. I had to dip my pieces in the Port sauce just so I could eat it. I never eat steak with sauce unless it's bad. My girlfriend on the other hand wasn't so lucky as her mushroom sauce was also devoid of taste. After a while, we both just stopped and asked for the bill. This place is extremely expensive for what you get. We have been to places a quarter of the price and we left with a smile on our face.

At no point did anyone ask us how any of our plates were and if we were satisfied. We are not the kind of people that openly complain about stuff and maybe we should have. Now, I am aware that this place is 5th in Gatineau and therefore it is being enjoyed by a lot of people. What might have happened to us is probably bad luck/bad timing. That being said, I will never go there again, and will not be recommending it to my friends.

• Visited September 2012
9 Thank Nicolas B

“Amazing steak restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

You can't walk from centre core but well worth it. An amazing steak! If you like steak, well worth the cab drive.

Visited May 2012
Ottawa, Canada
“Too noisy but good steaks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

Very professional waiters, good steaks but we went on a saturday night and they had a pianist which was singing at the same time and it was really too noisy; my husband and I had to be very closed to each other to be able to understand what the other one was saying, so It would be better if they would just have soft music. (room was "Le Cellier")

• Visited July 2012
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Worth the drive... what an incredible steak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

...not only are the cuts here world class but the wine cellar is... well... very dangerous. Service is flawless. Do take the offered tour of the place. We went with a large group and were treated like royalty.

Visited February 2012
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Great service, high price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Sterling has professionally trained servers and it shows. They know just when to visit the table and just when to be discrete and let the conversation flow. On my second visit, the chef made a special lunch to fit my special diet and added all sorts of great extras such a bok choy, wilted spinach and rice to some magnificently grilled shrimp and scallops. My guest had the lunch table d'hote which was focused on the beef stir fry with peppercorn sauce. The only downside was the pride: 2 mains and 1 glass of wine (with seemingly obligatory Perrier water) was $91!!! Yummy but a steep price to pay even with the spectacular view of the Ottawa River from the outdoor terrace.

• Visited June 2012