“Worth the drive from Ottawa...”
Review of Le Baccara

Le Baccara
Ranked #2 of 657 Restaurants in Gatineau
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2014

While lately in Ottawa, we were dependent on taxi's. A relatively short drive from our hotel--worth the trip. Beautifully appointed restaurant and impeccable service. Our table was perfect! The food was elegant and well presented. Enviable wine list.

2  Thank Canukgal
There are newer reviews for Le Baccara

Reviewed May 2, 2014

We, our party of 3 ladies had our reservation for 6 pm. We arrived early and the staff took our bags and coats so we could spend some time in the casino before our meal. When we returned at the appointed time they led us to our table without delay. The place is beautiful, with a pleasant view of the riverfront. The staff is friendly and professional and the place is clean and inviting. We chose the 8 course meal with premium wine pairing. The meal was served professionally, and the wine pairing was expertly done. Throughout the meal, which lasted over 3 hours, we were treated with respect and courtesy. The food was amongst the best in both flavour and quality. The staff respected our allergy alerts and the meals were prepared accordingly. It was truly excellent. But, was it worth the (almost) $1000.00 for the three of us. As excellent as it was, probably not. Would I return? Without a doubt, YES. But this is a place that the average person would have to budget for. The entire meal was well prepared, the wines were perfect for the dishes served, the staff was well informed and welcoming and, perhaps, I am out of touch on the price point.

1  Thank peggy m
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Loved the atmosphere, the service was extraordinary and the food was exquisite.You feel like a million bucks when you are at the Baccara. It is expensive but compare to other restaurants in that catecory very affordable. Looking forward to my next visit.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Le Baccara is an exceptional restaurant and as close to a Michelin-starred restaurant you will find in the Ottawa area. The menu is not for the faint of heart - it has many unique features such as bison and duck - but there is sufficient variety to satisfy most tastes.

I had the langoustine to start - quite tasty but a very small serving - and the bison tenderloin as my entree - again, a small serving and a little on the dry side (bison is very lean so be sure not to order it cooked any more than medium-rare). Others in my group had the veal and lobster and the beef tenderloin. These were highly rated.

Dinner did include a few little extras including an amuse bouche (a beef tartare) and chocolates at the end of the meal. The wine list is extensive but if you're not a fan of French wines you will be disappointed as there was little else to choose from.

My main beef was the service. At first it was attentive but by the time we ordered dessert our waiter all but disappeared. He forgot to bring the coffee and tea that we ordered and we had to chase him down for our bill. A disappointing way to finish dinner.

Le Baccara is a great place to have a splurge dinner. Make sure to save your loonies and settle in for a a 2.5 hour session.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Went for dinner with some friends. This time I asked the waiter (Vincent) to make me something healthy. Grilled and less rich. I started with lobster salad and tartar. It was decadent! Main dish was a grilled veal filet with vegetables and was really good. For dessert I had sorbet served on a ice sculpture! It was OMG beautiful and delicious. I have been many times to this restaurant. Very rich and I found hard to digest but this time I wanted more healthy and grilled and it was to my expectations.