“Elegant and intimate” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arome Seafood and Grill

Arome Seafood and Grill
Ranked #19 of 639 Restaurants in Gatineau
Cuisines: French, American, Canadian, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Gatineau
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Elegant and intimate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We made a reservation at l'Arome a few days before the end of 2012 as it was all booked for the actual New Year's eve. We found the space to be quite elegant and intimate for a quiet dinner for two. We were not particularly adventurous in our choice of food as we both had filet mignon. The meat was well prepared and tasty as were the accompanying veggies. Two sauces were offered with the meal and both very good. The service was attentive and reserved. The wine selection is fairly extensive and the overall value was fine. This restaurant also has a beautiful terrasse (closed in winter) overlooking Lac Leamay and we fully intend to go during fair weather to appreciate the view. As there are fewer restaurants of note on the Gatineau side, Arome could be considered a good choice. The overall experience was very favourable.

• Visited December 2012

Ottawa
“Expected more...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I went to l'Arome this weekend for a dinner with friends. We had been there once before a long time ago and thought it would be worth trying it again.
First off, the setting is beautiful, with views of Leamy Lake and a nice dining room. Our table was next to a window but we did not feel the wintery cold from outside which was greatly appreciated.
The food we had was generally very good but not extraordinary. I must admit that, for the price, I expected a bit more. I had a "bavette", which was a bit tough. It was accompanied by a strange concoction that could only be described as a lobster poutine in a pie crust. The end result was OK but a bit bland. Everyone around the table seemed satisfied with their choices but no one had the type of exclamation you'd expect for a $80 - $100 per person meal.
One interesting aspect was the desert table (we could almost say buffet). As my meal was on the table d'hote, it included a visit to the desert table which was actually quite impressive. I had a few things that were all really tasty.
The wine list is extensive and I was able to find a very good, reasonably priced wine.
The service was hit or miss and a bit amateurish. Although our waiter was nice, I sometimes felt that his attention was more focused on other tables (he even dropped his wine bottle opener because he was not paying attention). Also, when our meals came out, the waiters mixed up the plates which one would not expect at this price point.
To conclude, I would possibly go back dometime in the future but I think there are better options around at that price point.

• Visited January 2013
Toronto
“What happened??”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have gone to this restaurant almost every Xmas in the last 4 years, and also held my parents 50th anniversary party in the private room. On all previous occasions, the food and service has been very good to excellent. This year was a disaster so I am not sure what happened. There were 10 of us, our reservation was for 6:00 and we didn't get out until 9:00. We waited an hour and a half after our appetizer until our main course was served. When it finally came, some of the food was cold. 4 people ordered the prime rib, which they have ordered before. At least 2 of the prime rib dinners were half to 3/4 fat. My husband asked for his to be replaced immediately, but my daughter tried to eat whatever meat she could find but still 3/4 of the slab was left because it was fat or grizzle. The waitress said she would talk to the chef. The chef's response was "tell her to order a lean cut next time she comes". Sorry, wrong answer, there won't be a next time. If this is a choice that should be made at order time, then the waitress should have asked our preference then. Who wants to pay $44.90 for a plate full of fat. The bill for all 10 of us, was just under $600. We didn't order much alcohol as we had a few people driving. So I hope this wasn't a factor in the poor service and attitude. Also we waited at least 15 minutes for our dirty dishes to be taken away so we could get up to get our dessert. For a fine dining establishment, this is below average this time, for both service and food quality. There are plenty of fine dining establishments in the Ottawa-Hull region that we can choose from for next XMAS, but it certainly won't be at Arome.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank dixiechick-TA
Iowa
“Nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

The steak was one of the better ones I have had in awhile. I ordered the Experience with steak and a stuffed half lobster tail. The oysters were tasty but not very large. It would have been nice if they were twice the size but I enjoyed them all the same. The service was pretty good and the servers were friendly for the most part. I don't speak a lick of French and they tolerated my hillbilly kewl. The price for the meal was rather expensive but the taxes charged were even worse. I think I paid $27 dollars in tax on a $60 meal or something close to that.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a disapointment !!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have eaten here a few times and the food was delicious. This past Friday we took our priest and his wife for a special Anniversary dinner and it was a complete disaster.
The oysters were the size size of a quarter, which was a disgrace, and the Prime Rib was soaked in what tasted like barbecue sauce, disgusting. The meat had no taste to it, the veal was tough and the seafood dish was only passable.
I can't understand how they can serve food like that and charge prices they do. We will never go again and cannot in good conscience, recommend this place to anybody.

• Visited September 2012