“Great bbq place”

Le BBQ Shop
Ranked #4 of 11 Quick Bites in Gatineau
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

A semi self serve place where you order at the counter but the food is brought to the table.

Great selection of bbq sandwiches/burgers/poutine/plates. So great, almost hard to choose! A pulled pork mac'n'cheese is to die for.

For $20 got a dish and a beer. A little much but quality and taste justify it.

Plastic cutlery is a bit disappointing a detracts from the atmosphere /impression. It seems like the place is trying to maximize disposable serverware, but considering not everything is disposable, having normal cutlery would have been better.

Otherwise, would like to return.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed June 16, 2018 via mobile

As a regular and often suggesting this place to friends, collegues and anuone who wants good food in great portions, I have to say that I will no longer be supporting this business.
When it opened, it was awesome. Taste, service, portion sizes...etc. it was all there.
Now I look at my plate and realize I'll have to eat something when I get home. The taste has left the building. Not quite sure what happened but I'm done...

Date of visit: June 2018
Karim F, Owner at Le BBQ Shop, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2018

I Nicholas,

First thanks for your review we take it very seriously.
Let me just say that as the years went by the only thing that have changed really is the price, but all the recipes are the same and I'm still the one who does the prep. One thing I realize is that lately we've added some new staff and maybe we should of spend more time on training so the plates could've been consistent.

Thing I need to add is that as the years went by, prices increased and we needed to adjust our pricing and portions. A lot of clients were wasting some food because of our oversized poutines and portions and were ending paying for wasted food. We've adjusted the portions and pricing witch pleased some of our clients and disappointed some others. Note that it's still possible to order our bigger version of our poutine etc. but it's just not on our takeout menu anymore.
As for the taste, well, I would need more details because as I said all the recipes are the same and I've been doing all the sauces etc since we've open. I know my manager and I had to leave the shop for 2 weeks for festivals, but I can guarantee we've learned from that mistake.
Thanks again for the review and hope to see you soon
LE BBQ Shop

Reviewed June 4, 2018 via mobile

Guys, what have happened? We just ate there tonight for my son's birthday cause you are... were his fav place to eat.

first year you opened wow it was such a great concept and food was amazing. we would get cravings for it.

then as the years went it was still good but declining.Last year we came for his bday and you literally did not have ribs left. a cpl weeks later we called to make an order to make up for it and we were so dissapointed with the food. Def got less than the amounts ordered, was missing my little boy's burger and the food was all together cold even if we arrived to pick it up early.

a few weeks ago we came to pick up two bacon/cheddar burgers and literally waited half an hour and there was no other clients.

and tonight was just a disaster.

1- took a look at the menu that you changed so much, why would you do that? you had a great thing going on, a specialty. now you just blend in with all the other young hipster cooks that try to make scandalous meals. only one option for ribs now and you get four with barely any meat and lukewarm and dry. what happened to your fat juicy ribs swimming in your great sauce??? that even came with extra sauce??? you seriously suck for changing your menu. some options were straight up just dumb. so turned me off. if the overall quality declined so much i am def not interested in trying anything new.
the ribs and brisket and chicken by weight was amazing, the macaroni, the burgers and the deep fried pickles and mars bars was all you needed to be and stay a success.
WHY change that? i wanted to get pickles tonight but i saw someone's onion rings were burnt so i didnt risk it.
we should trust you to serve us delicious food everytime not worry to risk it.

so the one thing that was good was the poutine. no bad words on that. but all the rest... i mentionned the sad ribs, came with the worst coleslaw i ever had in my life i am not even exagerating. all it was and tasted like was old soft cabbage. no texture no dressing. i tried the "spicy" it had texture but no dressing either amd way waaaay too hot! my tongue felt burnt til the end of the meal from one bite.
i tried my mom' regular macaroni ( i used to be a huge fan of the jalapeno bacon one ) and it was terrible. no one liked it. when a 7 year old spits out a bite of macaroni and cheese you know theres asomething wrong.it tasted like expired cream. i also noticed in the prep area there was precooked macaroni overflowing and mushed and stuck in the crease of the prep area and another kitchen appliance. ick.
ugh. then no cornbread that was supposed to come with it.

GUYS LIKE, WTF?!? come on!!!

and service?
guy was nice. but no care in the world to offer good service. i waited for like 10 minutes to even get someone's attention from the back area outside the kitchen.
Our food came pretty quickly but that also explains the lukewarm meat.
we were 7 people and 3 never got their "included drink"

it just sucked. my son was super dissapointed and said he doesnt care to ever come back again. which dissapoints me.

we are not food snobs, i am not putting down the food comparing it to a Michelin star restaurant! i am simply comparing it to what it used to be. But i'm also not a trashy eater, i come from a family that loves food and everyone cooks amazing, my father was a real "Jean Claude chef cuisinier Parisien", i also have a college degree in chef training/restaurant management. we know what good tasty quality food tastes like and you had that. it was always worth the drive. but now? nope. never coming back.

Date of visit: June 2018
Karim F, Owner at Le BBQ Shop, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2018

The future is reserved for the adventurer and to those who listen to their clients!

First we would like to thank you for your constructive review. I took the time to ask questions to my employees to see what happen that weekend since both my manager and I (I'm the owner) were out of town at a Festival with our BBQ Shop Mobile Kitchen. One of our strength in my opinion is definitely our sensitivity to our clients satisfaction and recommendations. We respect your way of expressing your opinion on Trip Advisor and want to address all of your comments. However, being that you have been a client of Le BBQ Shop for many years, we would have also appreciated a little comment when you were at the restaurant if the quality of food or service wasn't the same as before. I’m sure that our employees would have taken it a constructive way and they would have corrected the situation right away, or at least try to make it better.

I’ll Try to response to all your comments point by point

1- As for the quality of food and the years that have past, I think one thing we actually did right is improve our recipes and kept our winners. I’m still the main cook, making all of our sauces, home made with local ingridients since we’ve started 5 years ago. The staff only needs to assemble and provide the client with good service.
2- As for missing items on the menu that could happen even in your Michelin star restaurant since everything is smoked and prepared daily, good and fresh, which makes it hard to predict what items could run out during the day. We smoke our ribs in house, and this takes 6 hours. Therefore, if we do run out or have big orders, we still need some time to adjust and serve our fresh products.
3-As for the take out orders, there is no magic recipe to keep the quality of food and keep everything hot and crispy. There is definitly a delay by the time you get home and this is just the reality of it. We still provide that service to our clients, but we definitely prefer to serve you on site.
4- For the missing items on your take out orders, I understand your frustration and this is totally unacceptable. Staff can sometimes misplace an item or put it in someone else's order, which is an error, but it still should not happen. That’s why when it happens you need to call us right away and we will find a way to get your items ready right away or take action to reimburse you.
5- As for the Burger, this is one thing that we have improved and for which we get incredible ratings. We now have fresh, thicker and juicy patties but the down side is that it take a minimum of 10-15 minutes to cook them and the staff must tell you that there is a wait and that's it's definitely worth the time.

6- As I said one of our strength is our openest to the critic to improve our service and menu, but we prefer constructive criticism and won't accept to be insulted and treated of 'dumb people' for playing with our menu presentation. As far as I know, it’s still our restaurant and it’s not a big chain. That being said if you would’ve ask the staff or look more closely you would’ve noticed that all of the items you mentioned are still on the menu and you can still order the meat by the pound. As for our trio or combos, this came from listening to all our our clients who wanted those options to complete their meals. This new menu offers you a variety of fries or rice, coleslaw and a drink and you get to play around and even have add-ons or switch things up and get poutine, mac and cheese, fried pickle or name it. This is what the 'new menu' is all about, a blend of our classics, that have not changed in 5 years, with new additions and combos for a better and greater offer, all based on clients feedback.

7- As for the overcook onions rings you saw I think I’ll let that client judge the quality of is food, I can comment on something we didn’t see and if you would’ve order your pickles my staff would’ve definitely try to satisfy you with nice, juicy, fresh and home made fried pickels.

8- As for your bad experience with the quality of food that night it’s totally unacceptable from what your telling us and we are really sorry about this unfortunate experience. I followed up with the boys to see what happened. The one thing I know that was out of our control is that our supplier sent us a different kind of back ribs that weekend and the boys told me about it just after I made the follow up. I can ensure you that the ribs are still fat, juicy and BBQ Shop quality approved now. It’s not an excuse, and they should NOT have served them to clients and wait for our supplier to fix the situation.
As for the coleslaw we shred our coleslaw every day and mix it with our home made sauce, therefore, I don’t know what happen there but it’s unacceptable. We are sorry about this
For the Macaroni and cheese again I followed up with them to have some answers and tasted everything right away and everything was fine. Like I said I make the sauces my self for the boys and we go true 100L of my Mac and cheese sauce every week so I can ensure you it was fresh.
As I said my manager and I were out for a week for the beer festival and It’s sad to notice that the service and quality of our long effort menu wasn’t as we expect will our absence.

9- As for the included drink I’m sure the boys just forgot, a simple mistake. When this happens, it's better to simply remind them and I'm sure they would have fixed the situation right away. Only trios comes with drinks if you decided to take items separately like mac and cheese or poutine, sadly it does not come with it on our menu.

10- I’m also disappointed of the service and quality you were provided on your last visit to the restaurant. We are not a michelin star restaurant, but we take are clients review really seriously and make sure to adjust the situation right away. So if you happen to come and see us again and something is wrong or you are missing items, our staff will be me more than happy to assist you. One thing I’m glad about is that a person as 'foodie' as you can notice the quality we served you with at your previous visit and that’s what we focus on. Stability is the key and we put all of our effort too serve the best quality as possible every time.

Thank you for you comment and we really hope that you will give us a second chance

Best
The management

Reviewed April 1, 2018

You will never eat a burger like this as it is simply the best in town...every time we go, we get out blown away by their cuisine....bravo!

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed October 26, 2017 via mobile

What a wonderful place to stumble upon during my last visit to Gatineau. I had occasion to be over on the Quebec side and put the words BBQ into my phone and uptain this really wonderful restaurant. Wonderful cozy atmosphere you can sit right in front of the food preparation area and watch these guys work their magic. I wanted something smaller for lunch so I had the personal sized mac and cheese which was delicious as well as a brisket slider which was quite delicious all in all a great place and will definitely make an excuse to get back over there to try out other menu items. After speaking with the head chef bbqr and telling him what a great time I'd just had he graced me with a peanut butter caramel and bacon cookie!!!

Date of visit: October 2017