“3RD TIME STAYING AND STILL A TREAT”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Gatineau-Ottawa
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Gatineau
Reviewed May 30, 2014

This location is great to meet your expectations. We requested a room with a balcony as the weather was nice and we got it without any hassles. Great amenities and service and overall we are very happy with this hotel. For the price of a suite room we would not have even found a standard king for that price. It was amazing.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Just a some quick notes about the DoubleTree in Gatineau: 1) The facility is beautiful. 2) Book the breakfast buffet with your stay. They have a nice selection of fruit/pastries/cereals/hot dishes, etc. Worth the value. 3) Loved the soft bed. My husband that it was a touch too soft, waking up with a sore back, I thought it was great. 4) You will need a car to get over the bridge to Ottawa. Public transit from Gatineau across the bridge is non existent and they do not have a shuttle. Parking in Ottawa is expensive. 5) If you are assigned Room 107 verify that they do not have any events scheduled during your stay. If they do, ask for another room! On our third night the hotel hosted a wedding reception. The music was so loud we were able to sing along to all the songs played during the reception that went into the wee hours of the morning. That was after speaking to management twice, closing both doors and being in our bed with our heads pressed against pillows. Which is why they are getting a "average" rating. I would like to give them "terrible" from that one night but that would be unfair as the other two nights were fine.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2014

This is the first hotel room I've stayed in with all hard surface flooring. I liked that. It is much better than carpet in my opinion although it can be a little noisier. Spa slippers were provided. Thanks for that!

Our room had a seating area with a desk, TV, love seat and two chairs. It was divided from the bedroom by french doors. This amount of room was very much appreciated. WIFI was included and it was fast and never cut out. Hurray!

The location is easy to get to and the parking is included. Staff is efficient and friendly. Great value. We'll be back!

Our only complaint was that a group of students were staying on our floor and the teacher or accompanying adult came to our door about 11 pm, knocked and told us to get to bed. When I asked why she asked who i was. I gave her my first name and she said; "Oh, sorry." In the morning before 8 am she again knocked on our door telling us we had to get moving as we had to be at breakfast at 8:30. When my husband opened the door she said; "oh, sorry." again. He was not amused.

I am not sure why we were placed in the midst of a group of students.

NOTE: If you are travelling with a group please be aware of what rooms your group is using and keep the noise down in the hall as not everyone is so excited and ready to laugh and joke early on a long weekend Sunday morning.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Usually, a hotel’s description of itself on its website or marketing materials tends to overstate its beauty or facilities. Not so the DoubleTree, Gatineau-Ottawa. Its description of itself as “the magnificent DoubleTree” is clearly not an overstatement. Set against the background of an 18-hole golf course, the imposing building dominates the surroundings by its grandeur.

The hotel’s interior, with its dark oak panelling in the lobby, hallways and even in the elevator, continues the regal appearance. The same dark wood theme is extended to suites with their stained crown moulding and furniture. Unfortunately, the classic, almost regal look did not extend to the modern lines of the plain windows.

In the spacious suites, laminate flooring has replaced the carpet, to the benefit of allergy sufferers. However, some rugs would have given the suites a more homely, if not elegant look.

Good quality wallpaper covered all the walls and contributed to the appearance of a higher-end hotel. However, in some places, the wallpaper was showing its age and, here and there, was coming undone and looked ready to begin peeling off, contradicting the elegance associated with the hotel. Some items of furniture are also beginning to show signs of wear.

Checking in was very easy. With three staff on duty, guests were quickly registered and given the keys to their suites. Registration included the offer of a hot cookie.

It seems that someone has clearly implemented a policy to enhance the welcome experience. In addition to the cookie, there was a welcome card with my name printed on it and placed in a conspicuous location. Also, when the televisions were turned on, the first screen to appear bore another personalised welcome for me. I happily smiled, acknowledging that the efforts to make me feel welcomed had indeed worked. However, it was the clean, white linen on the bed that made me feel especially welcomed!

I was very impressed that the hotel took the time to provide a double-compartment receptacle for waste and for re-cycling, suggesting that it is conscientious about the environment. However, I was disappointed that there were no signs visible that indicated the benefits of re-using towels as some hotels do.

My primary purpose for my stay at the hotel was a seminar presenter in one of its banquet halls. It was here that the hotel proved its worth for me. Staff were extremely helpful in how they provided for my needs. I had forgotten a piece of equipment, and a staff member readily sought out and obtained a replacement for me. He even seemed happy to do so.

The friendliness of staff was also seen in the dining room/bar at breakfast. They were quick to respond with bright, warm smiles to the requests of guests. It was just as well, since breakfast was the usual hotel fare offered by hotels of lesser pedigree.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at “the magnificent DoubleTree by Hilton Gatineau-Ottawa”, and I will definitely consider returning.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Awesome beds and bedding! Clean and carefully decorated pool/hot tub area - felt relaxing NOT utilitarian. Great size locker rooms. All necessary room amenities thought of. Quiet. LOVELY and peaceful view of grounds, golf course and river. Spacious room - Standard two double. Lots of room to walk around and between beds. Well thought out furniture and furniture placement. DEEP tub!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 13, 2014

what a great place! from the moment we drove up to it IMPRESSIVE! Beautiful facility and grounds and so nice. The staff was great and the breakfast buffet very nice! This was a good deal and worth the drive; it wasn't too far from downtown Ottawa and very close to Carleton U. This was our first time staying here and will definitely be back. Having a Carleton U student that is also in the Canadian Forces and presently stationed in OIttawa we will be frequent guests. I can't wait to come back and stay again. The Pool and Spa are nice and everyone was so friendly. The chocolate chip cookie was nice but on my husband's behalf it would be nice to have a diabetic treat (just a suggestion) I loved the cookie. Thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: higher floor at the back - you get a great view of the golf course and river.