“Authentic”

Ranked #27 of 671 Restaurants in Gatineau
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2014

This is a small place, main floor of a house in Almyer. It's not elegant or fancy but it is authentic! The beer choice should be more extensive for this food but that is my only issue.

Tamales were great as a starter, as I remember from my youth in northern Mexico/Texas. Corn is the base and other flavours accent that very well. Rice dishes were super even if one style was a touch salty. I understand my tastes lean to less processed food so most won't mind that salt level. Lamb dish was super, tender and flavourful.

There is nothing to complain about or fault and I will return many times, I'm sure.

1  Thank Dave C

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I had dinner there last week and it was very good, and I would certainly go back. The ingredients were fresh with a homemade flavour. We shared two appetizers, the Papa Rellena and the Tamales. We loved these two appetizers and neither of us could choose which was our favorite. Both were delicious and I've been craving them since. For the main course we each chose something different so we could experience the different options, lamb, fish and chicken. All were very good. My only suggestion is to offer a different rice choice, as all three came with plain white rice, and offer a bit more salad. There was plenty of tomato and onion but add a bit more lettuce to fully enjoy the plated salad. Overall it was very good, very fresh and worth a second visit. One other suggestion, add the price to your wine list and ensure the white wine is chilled appropriately. I should also mention that the young man servicing was very courteous, polite and offered very good service.
One more note - this is not by any means a fancy restaurant. It's clean, colorful and basic.

1  Thank NJB96
Reviewed March 15, 2014

My daughter (age 10) and I ate there the other day and the way home from an outing. We liked it so much we got some takeaway for my wife and other kids that weren't with us.

We had three dishes: the Peruvian roast chicken with green rice, lamb with cassava and white beans, and the beef steak with onions and tomatoes. To drink we had the blue corn beverage. My 2 year old loved the green rice and wouldn't stop eating it and wouldn't stop drinking the cinnamon and clove spiced blue corn cold beverage which was unique and I would recommend trying. My 10 year old loved the beef steak which was slow cooked in savory spices with apple, tomato, and onions. It came with roast potatoes on the side and rice. My wife enjoyed all of it. None of it was spicy as found in other parts of Latin America but simple and flavorful. The chicken was not dissimilar to other roast chicken thighs and legs but the rice was very unique—similar to a Puerto Rican dish I've had before.

Incidentally, the couple next to us had the seafood platter which they thoroughly enjoyed and recommended to us—this not being their first time there.

For three entrees and a drink we paid about $48 including tax. The service was good and owner very helpful in selecting the items. The restaurant is small and cozy and would be a great date night for someone looking to get away from the noisy chain/volume restaurants. If I lived in the area, I would definitely come back and recommend it to anyone wishing to get away from the typical western restaurant food or watered down foreign food that Ottawa is so full of. If I am back in town I will certainly consider returning. It was a very nice change.

1  Thank bennrg2001
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Friendly, family operated gem tucked away. The selection is slightly limited, however, if they decide to vary the choices periodically, they should be around for a long time. The quantitiy and freshness of the ingredients are number one. The qunioa salad is above reproach. The lamb stew was amazing as was the chicken. Very excited that this family has come to share their talents and traditions.

2  Thank D442014
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Small Peruvian restaurant located in the centre of Aylmer at the bottom of a house. This is a real small family run operation so you should not expect 5 stars service or deco. Food is really good and all made from scratch. The empanadas were great though a bit more spices would have been better. The ceviche is fresh and just spicy enough. Prices are really fair for the size of the portion. Definitely a thumb up for me.

3  Thank Boutip