“Best brunch breakfast ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Odile - CLOSED

Odile
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“Best brunch breakfast ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is a place not to miss. Try the french toast, prok belly, apple compote breakfast for the best ever experience in food ever!!! Also even if you had enough, try the beignets with caramel salt!!! Another favorite. Do not miss this restaurant for sunday brunch. The best!!!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank PitMisha

Ottawa
“Not to be missed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

A charming little place in an otherwise unremarkable neighborhood. This was truly one of the best brunches I've ever had in Ottawa and area. South-West inspired pooled pork was delish, cornbread was surprisingly too, served with home-fried potatoes, an interesting twist of avocado salad with corinder, all topped with poached eggs. The service is friendly and attentive. The atmosphere is funky and relaxed. Will be back for sure!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank dougwOttawa
Gatineau, Canada
“A little disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I hate to be the one to break this establishment perfect 5 star review record, but I'm afraid I will have to do it. Four of us went to Odile with high expectations given the hype. I'll start mentioning the non-food part of the experience, the ambiance and service. I thought both were excellent, the place is tiny but cozy, totally unpretentious. The service was fantastic, I unfortunately don't know the name of our server, but he was awesome. Extremely friendly, in an excellent mood, and always there when you needed him.

Now, onto the dishes. We each had a different appetizer, so we had all four available on the menu and I tried them all. The Caesar salad with crispy pig cheek was good, thought some pieces of the pig seemed a little overcooked as they were a bit dry. The fried smelts were pretty tasteless, though the vegetables that accompanied them were pretty good. The scallops were good, though not excellent. The lamb meatballs were quite good, with the one general flaw that we could apply to all dishes for the night, lack of salt.

Onto the main course, we tried the short ribs, the duck breast, and two of us had the lamb. The latter turned out to be a mistake, as what was touted as white wine braised leg of lamb tasted like some boiled pieces of lamb that were totally bland. Luckily, everything else that accompanied it was good, the risotto was delicious and the asparagus was perfectly cooked. The short ribs were good, but not great, a little lacking in taste as well. The sauce was good though so that helped, as was the kale and yukon and celery root purée. The star of the night was the duck breast ballotines, which was absolutely delicious. It was the one dish in the main course that was perfectly executed.

For the desert, two of us shared the brownie with chocolate ice cream, which was absolutely fabulous. The other two ordered the pear and maple tart which was ok, but a little bland.

So overall, there were some hits and misses, and I might even have given the place 3 stars if it wasn't for the price. At $105 for two people (drinking only water and sharing a desert, not including tip), I would expect something better. This is not to say this place can't deliver a good dinner, clearly if all I had eaten was the duck and brownie, I'd be ranting and raving about the place. Unfortunately I didn't so I have to rate it based on what I experienced. Your mileage may vary.

Visited May 2013
6 Thank T M
Toronto, Ontario
“WOW! Five star quality in a casual unpretentious atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

THE FOOD - Wow! The food is excellent and this is amongst the best restaurants I have been to in the world. What makes the food so unique was that the ingredients were perfectly paired to pack a bunch of different flavours into each bite. The ingredients were all very fresh and the portions were generous. Presentation was also made with precision.

We had the following (see pictures):
- Trout fillet, with fennel, chorizo, pine nuts, warm fingerling potatoes and black olive salad
- Duck breast, stuffed with mustard fruit and pistachio, pancetta, beluga lentils, eggplant, lardons, gastrique, swiss chard
- Scotch ale braised rabbit thigh, maple syrup and grainy mustard, spaetzle with swiss chard, brussel sprouts with asparagus, lardons, fried leeks

THE PRICE - Very reasonable considering the quality of the food. Appetizers were $9-13 while entrees were around $30.

SERVICE AND ATMOSPHERE - It's a small restaurant with maybe seating for around 16 inside and some seating outside, so make a reservation if possible. We were surprised the restaurant was not more busy, but perhaps it really is a hidden gem and located in a quiet residential neighbourhood in Gatineau. I enjoy good high quality food, but it is usually difficult to do so with a toddler. However, Odile is the perfect place for those with children because it is such a friendly casual atmosphere. However, they do not have a separate children's menu, but that's fine because my toddler just ate off my plate. Service was attentive and top notch. Our server remembered us when we went the next day to Edgar.

OVERALL - I will definitely come back to Odile next time I am in the Ottawa region. I can't wait to try out the brunch as well.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank mintchoco
Ottawa, Canada
“Hidden gem of Gatineau”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Together with it's older brother 'Edgar', this place never disappoints: wether we go there for breakfast, lunch or brunch. Small and very home-like atmosphere, friendly staff and always amazing kitchen. If you are in Gatineau you have to give this place a try.

• Visited May 2013