“Fantastic, great experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Brantford, Canada
“Fantastic, great experience”
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I stayed at the Hilton Lac-Leamy for a 3-day conference in June 2010. The hotel blew away my expectations completely. rooms were perfect, the location is breathtaking - great restaurants and the Casino was fun! I loved that there was even a low-scale dining option in the lower floors of the Casino for a burger and fries! I used the fitness centre and pools, saunas. Everything was immaculate. I would love to visit this hotel again when travelling to Ottawa/Hull.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Finnish first
Joliette, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Booked a suite for three nights. Arrived on a Monday. They seemed understaffed. There was no one at the service desk so had to lug my luggage to the lobby desk which is 200 feet from the entrance. There was a storm at that moment, the entrance canopy offered little protection.
The suite was comfortable, the view of Ottawa is very nice. Employees are always greeting you in hallways and public areas.
One complaint was with the cleanliness of the shower. Once in the shower I noticed quite a lump of previous guests hair floating around the drain, plus an unseemly gross lock of hair on the marble seat of the shower - And I mean a BIG lock of hair - It couldn't have casually been missed. I called the Governess ( yes, they have a governess...) and the bathroom was redone for us. The drain to the whirpool bath needed some adjustment, but being handy, I fixed that myself.
The tv's are nice though you need to be a sharpshooter to change channel's with the remote.

The restaurant and room staff are extremely helpful, courteous and polite. it's a dream to be served by them. The reception desk is another matter, especially on departure when we had to wait while the receptionist was giving a computer lesson to some colleague on the phone and then we we're rapidly brushed off for a more familiar guest.

We needed directions to get to Ottawa but, though they have a concierge desk, twice in the middle of the morning none could be found.

Despite the lobby, The Hotel is a team effort and the rest of the staff made for a very enjoyable stay. We will return soon.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Everything was perfect: extremely clean premises, fantastic room and restaurant views, very polite and helpful staff, superb facilities. Simply an excellent hotel!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Virginia
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I don't think I can say anything bad about this place. Perhaps a negative would be that it's pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Staff: Everyone we met there was very friendly and helpful. If you don't speak ANY French, don't worry; everyone always spoke French first, but repeated themselves in English immediately. If you want to try French, they will be happy you at least tried, especially if you're American. I took six years of French, but my last class was eight years ago, so I was pretty rusty. Everyone I've met so far seems thrilled (and extremely surprised) that an American is at least trying. The reactions are pretty interesting.

Room: We had a deluxe room on the eighth floor overlooking the lake, which is where fireworks are set off on Wednesday evenings. Make sure you have a camera if you are there for that! It was beautiful! The room was extremely nice, and the bathroom was HUGE with a sit-down shower separate from the bath. You couldn't hear much from outside the room. Our first night, there was quite a party in a room across the hall and a few doors down. We only heard it from the hallway when we returned from shopping, and that's because they had the door propped open. Once we were in our room, we heard nothing, and they had been pretty feisty from what we could tell.

Food: We ate in the room most of the time. The food from room service was excellent, although expensive. There's a 24-hour cafe at the casino, which had a good variety of options. The soup was very good and is all you can eat all day.

We didn't visit the casino, other than the cafe, so I can't say anything about that. We walked down to the pool and spa area, and it looked very nice and very well kept, exactly what you'd expect from this hotel. Also, the Chihuly glass in the lobby and by the stairs is gorgeous. At night, the fountains outside rotate colors and make for a great photo.

We absolutely want to visit again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coralorchid144
nunavut, canada
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Stayed @ Hilton Lac Leamy for 2 nights while attending a congress. We had a room facing the lake, 2 queens, LG 42 inchs screen, very comfy room. The view was great escpecially in Sept-Oct period when the leaves change color. One fun option in these rooms is the sound level controlled in the washroom, wow! Staff was pleasant, parking rather pricy, casino was a nice plus, restaurants rather expensive. Location was good, very quiet hotel athought it was sold out for the weekend I stayed.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank charles33
Boston
Reviewed June 28, 2010

This was our second visit to what can only be described as one of the nicest hotels we've ever stayed at. There's really nothing bad to say at all. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, the room spacious and elegant, the bed was comfy and it was very quiet at night for sleeping. Our package included buffet breakfast which was top notch both in terms of quality and variety. Dinner at Arome restaurant was also superb with great service. The attached casino is smoke free which is a huge plus for us non-smokers. The location on Lac Leamy is great for walking and seeing wildlife. Just a top notch place to relax and have fun.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RickURI73
Philadelphia
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I stayed at the Hilton Lac Leamy in Gatineau for the 2nd time recently. Again I was upgraded to the Executive Floor where the city views are spectacular. The lounge was open all weekend for breakfast, light dinner, and evening snack. I don't see this a lot in the U.S. The food was delicious and plentiful. The staff member Vincent takes great care of executive floor guests. I have been traveling to the Gatineau/Ottawa more frequently and I really like the city and the Hilton there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Philigirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gatineau
Byward Market Area
Andaz Ottawa Byward Market
Byward Market Area
The Westin Ottawa
The Westin Ottawa
#6 of 67 in Ottawa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,038 reviews

Been to Hilton Lac-Leamy? Share your experiences!