“Exactly what a 5 Star should be - Great Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Lac-Leamy
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Gatineau
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, UK
“Exactly what a 5 Star should be - Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

I can see why the Hilton Lac Leamy is voted Number One, I loved this hotel, it is perfectly situated close to Ottawa but on a peninsula surrounded by a lake. Beautiful! We stayed the first week of March, (I arrived the day the Canadians won the Olympic Hockey gold so there was HUGE excitement everywhere!) During the day It was sunny and still possible to go skiing around the lake where people were ice fishing. The hotel is a short cab ride from the Bymarket shopping/restaurant district and I would recommend Highs where we had a great steak one night. (A grown-up steak house)! Nearby are the Parliament buildings and also the Museum which is well worth seeing, big, light and airy with a great collection of Canadian Group of 7 art amongst others, it is also walking distance to the Bymarket shops.
The room was spacious and clean, and the lounge downstairs was a great place to sit and relax for a drink before dinner while overlooking the lake. This hotel also has a cigar bar which is popular with the gents, although the smoke extractor seems to be non-existent. The service throughout is very friendly, very 'Canadian'! I really liked and appreciated the staff who were all helpful to a fault and all of whom spoke English (this is a predominantly french speaking area).
Also worth a mention is that the hotel is about 15mins to Park Gatineau which is beautiful and there are some lovely little rustic restaurants, walks and even some downhill skiing.
Finally, the restaurant is excellent I did not think it was overpriced, seemed fairly standard and food was well prepared and did not disappoint.
One observation is the current system at breakfast is for 1 person to check her computer to admit guests to the dining room, and this takes time, about 4mins or longer if the guest doesn't have a token, then she has to walk them to their table, meanwhile quite a line up of people are kept waiting, it might be an idea to have one or two staff standing by to walk the guests to their table and one staff member to do the computer/token check in. One day the queue for breakfast numbered about 25 people.
But overall this is a great hotel and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
ottawa canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2010

My husband and I booked a smoking suite,executive level with a gift basket for the week end to celebrate our anniversary. When we arrived we were given a suite non smoking no gift basket and not on the executive floor. To say I was upset would be an understatement, we were paying large dollars to just sit back and enjoy our weekend. I asked at the front desk for the errors to be fixed and was rudely told they could and would not fix it they offer no guarantee, I asked to speak to a manager who was not available(surprise) but the concierge was great he immediatly set to work and fixed everything and even send us a complementary bottle of wine and chocolate strawberries. We were lucky though because they only offer 1 floor for smokers with just one suite. We love this hotel but it really is not the first time they made a mistake and this is the first time they fixed it. Great food, and paying the extra for executive floor is very worth it..

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Gatineau
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

I was there this week end for one night, I book a room for smokers, on the phone they tell me the price $269.00, When we arrived at the looby to register, tgey tll me that no smoking rooms are available, oh!!!!! but when I called the said that I will get a room for smokers (I no smoking is not good), so the guy checks in the system and says oh1 we have a duluxe room for smokers but it's 30$ more, I said ok we will take it for $299.00.

The room is very nice, the bathroom is the best part of the room, the bed very comfortable, but no refrigerator, the cream for the coffee was in the cabinet under the coffe machine, 3 little cream for the coffee wow!!!! come on, we went to SuperC accross the street to get cream for the coffee. I had my laptop with me, and was sure that the internet was free, noooooo more $$$$$. If you want breakfast in your room be ready to pay $20.95 for 2 eggs bacon and patato, per person, nice place but to expensive for nothing. I went to Marriott in downtown Montreal in October and for $119.00 per night it was a lot better than the Hilton, we had a full kitchen, dinning room table, 2 Queen size bed and breakfats buffet included, and free internet, next time I will know :)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

Went here in the summer for a weekend and loved it. Front desk staff were friendly and efficient.

This is a newer property with nice sized and beautifuly-decorated rooms.

The bed is very comfortable and the linens are great. The bathroom was HUGE - like the Bellagio bathrooms in Vegas. This hotel is lke a mini-resort and has excellent views of the water.

The restaurant was very good (but very expensive) and has nice tables outside overlooking the water. Overall a great hotel, but a little overpriced.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2010

This is a beautiful building and the surrounding view is lovely of downtown Ottawa. The grounds have gorgeous lights at nights. Food is cheaper if you go down to the Casino's Cafe and is reasonable there. The conference facilities are nice and the food there was good. Amenitiies of Crabtree and Evelyn in the bathroom make it a nice addition and the room was spacious. It is a bit isolated in location, but if you have a car, you can easily access all stores and go to Ottawa downtown.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Calgary Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

After spending 8 nights in the hotel, I feel more than qualified to comment. The rooms are lavish, the beds very comfortable. I slept well. Quiet and private. A great shower in my deluxe room. It is most certainly a fantastic hotel with it's note worthy $3 million chandeliers in the lobby.

You can expect to find the exceptional customer service that would be expected of a 5 star hotel.

That aside, I will get into my few complaints, one being that that the rooms were cold, and the heat did not respond when raised. I called for maintenance to repair it, but it was not of any help. I ended up not spending much time in the room itself during the day, but when I did I wore a sweater.

I would have also liked to see a continental breakfast offered as an option. The coffee in the rooms was poor quality as well.

I also think that free high speed internet would have been a nice touch. It costs upwards of $6 per day.

The pool and gym facilites are very nice, however I caution use of the pool as the pool floor is very abrasive and several of my collegues, including myself were injured there. Minor scrapes/abrasions for the most part, although I did sustain more severe lacerations. There is little security control there as well, and I was alarmed to see guests with glass beer bottles at the outdoor hottub.

Also, just a note should you be considering a longer stay here: the hotel is rather isolated and it is impossible to really walk anywhere for variety of food or for things such as banking, liquor, etc. There are some facilites about 10 minute walk away, but it is not very convenient. The hotel/casino does offer 5 choices for restaurants, and concierge is more than helpful for recommendations.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marabear
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

We were there for on only 1 day but we took advantage of everything. We had a booked a package with the hotel. It included room, buffet breakfast, dinner at the high end restaurant in the casino, cocktails and 20$ to play at the casino.

The room was amazing. The bathroom was very luxurious, the bed very comfortable and we had a great view over the lake. The buffet for brunch was very very good, something for every taste and it was warm! The dinner at the casino restaurant was truly delicious. I hadn't eaten this well in a long time and the service was very professionnal. We had cocktails at the casino, again very pleasant. We're not much into gambling but we enjoyed our 20$ each and had fun with the slot machines.

The next day, we were lucky with weather and enjoyed the pool area. Very nice place with great chairs.( If you ever want to go only for brunch on Sundays, it gives you access to the pool also!)

And the next day, since we were in Ottawa, we enjoyed a little trip in the country and also went to the museum. Everything is close by so you can do a lot in a short time.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gatineau
Byward Market Area
The Westin Ottawa
The Westin Ottawa
#5 of 67 in Ottawa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,981 reviews

Been to Hilton Lac-Leamy? Share your experiences!