“Luxury destination at a reasonable price” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Lac-Leamy
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Gatineau
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal
“Luxury destination at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

This hotel was out of this world. There were beautiful grounds with fountains and flowers surrounding the hotel. The lobby had a humongous glass installation by renowned glass artist Dale Chihuly...stunning! When I saw the decor of my room, I was amazed. The room felt like a $500 a night room but it was actually quite reasonable; more like $125 as I recall. The views of the river were gorgeous and the bathroom was state of the art! I am not a gambler but I went to the casino which is attached and gambled $5...and lost it. But it was entertaining to some degree to walk around and people watch The meals were quite good, buffet style. I think this was THE snazziest hotel I have ever stayed in. I give it a 5 stars! Ottawa is a stone's throw so I recommend it if you are visiting Ottawa. Bon voyage!

Room Tip: Snazzy hotel, great prices...I think because of the casino where they really want you to spend.
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank BoppinRobin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Swindon, Wiltshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights and it was truly excellent from check-in to check-out.

The room was big, nicely furnished with a very comfy bed. The bathroom had a bath and enormous shower.

Because of my hhonors status I had access to the executive floor lounge with drinks (pay for alcohol) and nibbles in the evening and a continental breakfast with a waffle maker in the morning, this had an excellent view of the area and lake from the smokers balcony.

We used the STO #21 bus (buy tickets from the casino cafeteria) to get into Gatineau and Ottawa. On boarding we got a voucher for a transfer to another bus.

It was hot during our stay so we returned to the hotel for the afternoons and enjoyed the very pleasant pool and pool area.

In the evenings we ate in the Casino Buffet restaurant which had a great selection, Fri/Sat evenings cost more but included crabs claws and other shellfish.

While in Quebec we were consistently greeted with a Bonjour but if we replied Hello we were always spoken to in English. Try that in France!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

My wife and I were upgraded to the Exceutive floor with a superb view over the lake and Ottawa. The room was very spacious with plenty of storage space and the bathroom was enormous. All the staff were exceptionally pleasant and went out of their way to assist. The food in the restaurant had ample portions and was reasonably priced with good service. In the Executive lounge there was an adequate choice at breakfast and in the evening. Children under 18 were not allowed in the evening and this made for a quiet time (although they were allowed to take food away). Later on cakes and cookies were left with soft drinks, coffee, etc. available all day.
Although the hotel is about 10 minutes drive from Ottawa there is a service bus from/to the adjoining casino at a cost of about 3 CAD.
The casino is good and, as it is connected to the hotel, you do not need to go outside.
There is an indoor and outdoor pool, both reasonably sized with a small but adequate deck area.
This is a well-run and exceptional hotel which woulkd gladly return to anytime in teh Ottawa area.

Room Tip: Check Hilto web site for advance booking and other offers
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

We went for the St Jean Baptist holiday weekend it was raining when we left and it continued right through till we got back home in Montreal.
The hotel is spacious and beautifully decorated very large and is attached to the casino. CLEANEST place I have been to in a very long time very accommodating as well. The rooms are very nice the flat screen TV LG needs an update very blurry and the remote was not working properly. Hotel safe battery went dead so we had to wait for someone to come and change the batteries however aside from that pretty great place to stay. I crashed an Indian wedding it was fantastic to see. I only watched the ceremony. The colors were spectacular. The bride and groom were very nice,,,
The pool an area where you can walk around, gardens is very nice and easy to get to.
We ate everyday at the buffet in the hotel it was an excellent assortment of food for breakfast.
We also travelled to the Ottawa side and walked around it was constantly raining so it was a bit of a drag to walk the byword market place. Hard to park and find parking...
you can buy wine and cheese and bring it back to your room for a little 5pm snack ,,,
We did go to the Casino and Montreal could learn allot about the design of this one that has over 1800 machines on one level. It is a happening place and it is very clean as well and well organized. With a band on weekends people were dancing,,,We played and did not win anything it was more of a vacuum cleaner of your wallet and pockets, we also ate at the casino buffet restaurant that was a bit messy and the food was not great so do not waste your money it was expensive over $30 per person wine was $10 a glass the restaurant in the basement of casino was better it is a small cafe ,better prices more decent food to choose from. The pizza there was wonderful.
I would recommend this for a couples weekend business not great for kids or families great for weddings though. I would go again it was a relaxing stay and very good bring a sweat shirt for the casino it is very air-conditioned and very cold.
Now for the service part it was fantastic everyone that works there is a team and they want your stay to be wonderful, when I got home I realized that I left something there they sent it to me the very next day and the person I believe was named Peter who was very polite and helped me find the article that I forgot. they get 5 stars for the service that they provided that is the way it should be for everyone going anywhere. Thanks Hotel Lemay I will return one day,,,,

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marlenegoesbyebye
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

While part of the casino complex, the hotel is separate and removed. It is a high rise with a great view of the lake and surrounding area. The hotel is modern and attractive with a riendly staff. I had business across the street so the hotel was very convenient. However, apart from a few stores and restaurants, this is a fairly isolated area. The hotel staff will get you taxis and downtown Ottawa was about a 15 minute ride. I business or pleasure brings you to Gatineau, this hotel is an excellent choice!

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Barbados
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

The hotel amenities are generally good. Unfortunately I was awakened at 4:00 am by a party next door. It seemed someone had some luck at the casino. Called front desk but the party didn't stop until 7:00 and my business session started at 8:00.

This spoiled an otherwise good stay. The executive floor access to continental breakfast was great - less traffic than main restaurants.

The only other downside - no dining after 10:00 except in casino cafe - think fast food not good food.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bajan_Mum83
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Hotel is in Gatineau with nothing close to it if you want to walk to other places.
Lake is a very pleasant walk around with a jogging trail connecting to Gatineau or Ottawa (6 kms plus).
Casino on the property although I did not visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gatineau
Byward Market Area
The Westin Ottawa
The Westin Ottawa
#5 of 67 in Ottawa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,981 reviews

Been to Hilton Lac-Leamy? Share your experiences!