“At the casino, but nothing special”
Review of Hilton Lac-Leamy

Hilton Lac-Leamy
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Gatineau
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“At the casino, but nothing special”
Reviewed November 21, 2007

It's only okay, and is expensive. Won a two night package that included quite a nice breakfast, and I suspect that since this is Quebec regular room rates might include this. I've stayed elsewhere in Ottawa/Hull for a lot less than their regular rates and with as much to offer (other than the casino)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Finnish first
Abington, PA
Reviewed October 16, 2007

Stayed three nights. Excellent hotel in all respects. Very clean rooms with very attentive staff. Beautifully decorated lobby. Excellent breakfast and dinner buffet. Free morning newspapers.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank WisteriaWay
Hackensack
Reviewed July 24, 2007

The Hilton Was GREAT
This is a great hotel. Very Clean and the staff was great I love it.
If any one complains about this hotel they are just picky people
I rate this hotel a 10 Great job Staff :}

• Liked — The pool and the rooms they were good
  • Disliked — out side bar hours closed at 10pm . should stay open till 12mid
  • Stayed July 2007
1 Thank ocasey
Montreal
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I stay at the Hilton Lac Leamy regularly for business. I have stayed at the Hilton Lac Leamy 6 times in the last year and would recommend this hotel to business travellers as well as to couples seeking some R&R. The hotel is meticulously maintained and the staff go far and beyond in order to ensure that your stay is memorable.

There is a heated indoor pool and outdoor pool. You can swin into the outdoor pool from an passage inside the hotel so you do not have to go outside the hotel to get into the pool. The feeling and experience is absolutely amazing in winter when it is snowing and the pool is at 90 degrees.

The hotel is very glamourous and believe they have weekend packages for couples as well brunch specials which give you access to the pool for families.

They also provide turndown service with chocolates and bottled water at night which is a nice little extra touch.

I can assure you, this is a real 5 star hotel and you will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank SandSunandSea
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2007

My introduction to this hotel was on a business trip in January and we all loved it! The bathrooms were a big hit - very clean and roomy. The views of the lake in winter were very peaceful. We really enjoyed the outdoor hot tubs and indoor/outdoor pool. Lots of fun.

I returned in the summer with the family and now it is the whole family's favourite hotel. We upgraded to the deluxe room to get the bigger bathroom and it was well worth it. The pool and deck were wonderful and the steamroom great. We enjoyed the hike around the lake and a few games of tennis. At night my husband and I enjoyed the casino.

My only negative experience was the lack of a place to get a quick snack and/or coffee or a casual reaonably priced restautant. The restaurants were great for adults but did not offer much for kids - ours were 10 and 13.

We will definitely return but likely not eat on site (or take the kids to McD's first and then enjoy an adult only dinner onsite!). The casino did have some more casual dining options but unfortunately kids could not go in there to eat.

• Liked — Bathrooms
  • Disliked — Dining options
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled with family
2 Thank resortqueen
Windsor, Ontario
Reviewed May 29, 2007

My dad and I stayed here from 19 May until 23 May 2007 during our visit to Ottawa. Being a big history buff, my first choices would have been either the Chateau Laurier or the Lord Elgin, but Hilton's website was offering a daily rate of $185 plus taxes and including a buffet breakfast at this hotel. Furthermore, I checked Trip Advisor and this property had received excellent reviews, so here we stayed.

And I must say, I'm once again glad I listened to other people who have stayed here before me. First of all, in addition to the hotel's facilities, there is virtually unlimited parking all for free. I noticed parking rates in Ottawa proper were rather rich. Also, it has been 35 years since my last visit to Ottawa. It is no longer the sleepy little city it once was, and is quite a tourist destination in its own right. Being a Canadian holiday weekend and with Senators fever running high, I found Ottawa very crowded and it was a relief to come back to the peace and quiet of Hull and this hotel.

Our check in was quick and easy. Other people have mentioned language issues in the past. I was especially impressed and pleased with the younger generation working at this hotel. Whereas their initial greetings are in French, if they notice you speak French hesitantly (as I do) or if you respond in English, they are able to switch from one language to the other with ease and their English is as impeccable as their French. Such was the case with the young man who checked us in, and with all the younger staff at Restaurant Arome. Given our language issues in this country, I was especially heartened by the staff at this hotel for their perfect bilingualism.

Our room on the 16th floor overlooked the casino, fountain and the Ottawa skyline. The room and bathroom were both large, clean and there was plenty of closet space. We had nightly turndown service. My dad, who is 84, is quite fussy about how he wants his bed made up and once he explained it to the housekeeping staff, every morning our room was made up exactly as he wanted it. By the way, every morning we went down for breakfast, the room was made up by the time we came back up.

I didn't use the pool but just walked through the pool area and it looked very impressive. There is a business centre just off the lobby with two PCs that were free of charge.

The breakfast buffet at Arome was fantastic. We also had dinner our first night outside on Arome's terrace. There was no problem at all with the changes I ask for to my vegetarian dish and all the food was excellent.

The hotel is connected to the Casino Lac Leamy. We had dinner in two of the restaurants inside the Casino, one being Banco and the other Le Baccarra. Le Baccarra, the pricier of the two, has received five diamonds from CAA/AAA, and it is well-deserving of this rating. The service was very attentive and the food to die for. Banco on the other hand was rather a formal cafetaria and whereas my dad ordered prime rib, he received steak and even after sending his food back to the kitchen straight-away they still didn't get his order right.

Given how crowded Ottawa was, I've decided not to visit this city again during a Canadian summer statutory holiday (Victoria Day, Dominion Day, Civic Holiday or Labour Day). If you have a car, I strongly urge you to escape across the river into Hull, Quebec and stay here for the peace and quiet Hull offers relative to Ottawa and for the excellent staff and facilities of this hotel.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank MisrEmiri
Orlando , Florida
Reviewed April 9, 2007

I just returned from a weekend at this hotel. I went with my mother and sister and we booked adjoining rooms on the executive floor. The rooms were large with huge windows and good views. The bathroom was all marble with a huge walk in shower . The hotel has an indoor and outdoor heated pool and 2 hot tubs. We did not here another person all night . The staff was pleasant and helpfull. the location next to the casino is excellent. One of the best hotels that I have stayed in .

• Liked — room size, quiet
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank spyderwoman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gatineau
Byward Market Area
Andaz Ottawa Byward Market
Byward Market Area
The Westin Ottawa
The Westin Ottawa
#6 of 67 in Ottawa

Been to Hilton Lac-Leamy? Share your experiences!