$186
Hilton.com
$137
$107
  • Pool
Auberge de la Gare(Gatineau)(Great Value!)
$96
$141
$104
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsacross the streetbyward marketcanadian historycorner roomparliament hillrideau canalcivilization museumnice hotelexcellent locationnice walkfront desk staffquiet roombreakfast buffetjacques cartier parkthe air conditioningnational galleryunderground parking
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We were looking for a place to stay in Gatineau that would be reasonably affordable, and close to the sites we wanted to take in and activities we wanted to do. If the place had a whirlpool that would be a bonus. At the time of booking, we thought we'd lucked out. Here we had a "deluxe" room (compared to "traditional" rooms, the deluxe rooms are on higher floors and supposedly updated/renovated more frequently) with a king size bed, the hotel had a swimming pool and whirlpool, and to top it off, we got the "Better Tomorrows" deal which means you pay full price for one night and half price for the next. Having previously stayed at the Four Points in London, Ontario and had a great experience, we picked it right away. Were we in for some surprises...

deluxe room had clearly not been renovated since the 80's
overhead fan constantly blowing makes it feel like you're in an airport hanger - impossible to sleep - if you disable the fan, you get no heat - not good with -20 temperatures
king size bed dipped in centre
oversized pillows impossible to get comfortable on
corner unit drapes inaccessible so you need to climb the desk to open and close the drapes; also very drafty windows
bathroom floor ice cold
not a drop of moisture in the air of this room
we ordered a single breafast for room service - very clearly marked and highlighted "ONE" only, and still got two

Before I continue trashing the place, I will say that it was reasonably clean, and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. The internet connection worked, and the toiletries provided were pretty decent. Robes were provided immediately after we checked in and they were fine. Good water pressure in the shower. Restaurant prices were average. Elevator was fast.

But let me continue... We had planned to do a full day of cross country skiing in Gatineau Park and then to return for a soothing whirlpool. After a long and VERY cold day of skiing, we were really looking forward to a soak in the whirlpool. I might add that since I had forgotten to bring my bathing suit, I had made an emergency shopping trip the day before to purchase one. We arrive sore and chilled, jump into our suits, and proceed down to the pool area, where we find a DRY whirlpool - yes, there was no water in the whirlpool. When we asked the staff, she said that they would be filling it the next day. No apology,. no explanation. VERY disappointing.

On a walk around the area, we came across a hotel called Auberge un Pied a Terre, and asked for a tour. The hotel is a converted old home with four characterful units. There was one room vacant, called the Mexican room, which had a cozy, tropical feel to it. It was small, but very neat, and ergonomic. The room included a stove with pots/dishes/cutlery, a small refrigerator, and a FANTASTIC shower with multiple settings. It also included a continental breakfast of muffins, applesauce, juice and coffee/tea, all set up in the room the day before. All for $85 a night. So we switched immediately and were able to get a great night's sleep in this cozy quaint little hotel which we would highly recommend.

Our "Better Tomorrows" deal was only better because our tomorrow was chez Auberge Pied a Terre. Call them right now and book.

Amhar

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2008

I stayed here for one night, then (after being away for a couple of nights elsewhere) returned for another 7 nights. My first night's stay was very poor - the customer service was extremely poor and all the little details seemed to be missing. For example, there's no fridge in any rooms - so you can't store anything cold. This means that they don't give you any milk, even though there are tea/coffee facilities. When you ask for milk, it is explained to you that you have been given whitener (which is true, but this is NOT the same as milk!). If you need a fridge (e.g. to store your own bought milk in) you must request it at reception. They will then deliver it to your room. However, they do not guarantee that they will have enough fridges so there is always a chance that you will not have access to a fridge.

Secondly, the internet connection wouldn't work properly in my room on both occasions.

Thirdly, when I checked out after the first night, I was asked to pay $50 for a meal which I had not consumed. I explained that I hadn't bought any meals at the restaurant. The girl on the desk didn't believe me, and went looking for the original receipt to 'prove' her point. This process took 20 minutes, in which time my taxi, which I had ordered, came and went. Eventually she found the receipt, and realised that it was neither in my name nor had my signature on it. I was really annoyed by this stage as I was late, the process had taken an extremely long time to resolve, and I did not feel that the staff member's manner had been very polite.

Having said all that, the basic facilities of the room are fine - good towels, reasonable toiletries, comfortable bed etc.

So it was in all, over the whole 8 nights, a reasonable stay but definitely nothing special. I'd look to stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Jill_Downunder
Reviewed October 22, 2008

Originally I had made reservations at the Westin Ottawa but when I arrived they were fully booked and moved me to the Four Points Gatineau instead. Very inconvenient, but in the Westin's defence they did comp my night here as well as paid for my parking which did make up for my trouble.

I want to say a lot of good things about the Four Points but all of it would surround their customer service. Upon check-in, I explained my situation to the front desk who after a call to the Westin understood and took care of me completely. Honestly, I was here only for the room given that this choice of hotel wasn't planned but I did check out the indoor pool (it's a bit small with really only enough comfortable play space for 1-2 families, and it closes at 10 pm) and restaurant for breakfast (typical American and continental breakfast, nothing special really). However, it's the people here who really excel and give you something to remember such as the front desk who remembered my name even when I forgot theirs and greeted me by name every time I walked past the lobby.

Like another reviewer said, the rooms are quite generic and typical. This isn't a bad thing, but this is why it's Four Points and not the Westin or Sheraton brands. The bed was comfy, the bathroom quite nice and internet was available via ethernet though I never tried it (I was told its free but I can't confirm this). The hotel is also located across from the Canadian Museum of Civilization (a great museum of Canadian history!) which is right across the river from Parliament. If you have a car it's really a quite convenient location to start from if you're visiting Ottawa.

I'd recommend the Four Points Gatineau for families, groups or if you're just looking for a simple, safe and very friendly place to stay. If TripAdvisor allowed it, I'd rate this hotel a 3.5 instead of the 3 I'm limited to.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank Smashing2
Reviewed April 11, 2008

I stayed twice, first in November 2007 and second at the end of March and beginning of April 2008. The experience was generic. The rooms were predictable. My first stay I drove and had a difficult time getting accurate directions from the front desk. The second stay I asked for a non-smoking room and my room smelled of smoke and I was able to get another room without any difficulty.

The building is modern and non-descript. It is connected to a complex that includes government buildings and an indoor shopping mall. More significant is that it is located across the street from the Canadian Museum of Civilization.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank bb_organic
Reviewed December 4, 2007

I made this booking for a friend of mine who was visiting Ottawa, and I was impressed with the Four Points. I made the reservations at home, and I went to the hotel before my friend's arrival to make sure the reservation was done properly and to check and see if the room is clean. I was actually very worried.
The front desk agent was incredibly friendly, and when I requested a room by the elevator, she did not hesitate to fulfill the request, and on top of it, she upgraded the room to the VIP floor. The only thing, is that I did not notice anything special about the room, but it was a thoughtful thing for her to do.
The surrounding area is not too fancy, but it is 5 minuted to downtown Ottawa. So, all in all, it was great value for a clean comfortable room and great friendly staff.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo