“Quiet, clean, comfortable, affordable.”

Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Gatineau
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This hotel met our needs, it was affordable for the area, was fairly central(but without being in a noisy downtown area) and the room was clean, comfortable and spacious. There is not a lot around it in terms of eating, and for breakfast, but we were just there for one night to visit family so it worked perfectly for us. I would book here again if we are in Ottawa to visit again. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't want to drive and want to see the sights. It is very close to the museum however.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Danielle S

Reviewed December 7, 2013

It would be better that the front desk is more fluent in English. The gym is very basic. It would be good if they had towels in the gym. The hotel is quite remote, it was a distance drive to get food. The parking spot was busy and hard to find a spot. The overall hotel is ok for my business trip.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Nathalie T, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Molefeet,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we appreciate getting feedback from your recent stay. We take pride in serving our guests in both official languages and realize that although our staff are bilingual, English is, for some, not their primary language. They are however always ready and able to assist with local dining recommendations especially in the Byward Market which is only 2km away from our Hotel. Our 24h gym does offer a variety of equipment and was completely renovated in 2012, what would you recommend to offer a more balanced experience? I hope to have the opportunity to discuss further with you. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me on your next business trip.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 30, 2013

The hotel is just across the river from Parliament Hill and across the street from the Museum of Civilization. The day I arrived the place was over run with children! But thankfully they put me on the 7th floor where it was quiet and child free. Others said they were woken too early by children playing hockey in the halls. There is a small cafe but it is not always open. The staff might send you through the tunnels to the food court at the mall but it closes early on Saturday. There are a couple of places to eat in the museum and the hotel has a few snacks. My room was very nice. I really appreciated the very good and extra coffee that was in there. It was nice and clean and very comfortable. If you want to be in the swing of things in Ottawa, best stay down by Parliament Hill. They also charge $15 per day for parking!!! I did not find the staff that helpful.

Room Tip: They charge $15 for parking. If you want quiet make sure that they put you on a floor without a lot...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear ganeshWinnipegCanada,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. It is delightful to know that you found our room accommodations to be modern and comfortable. I am sorry though for the issues you encountered with parking.

We appreciate your feedback and your business and hope we get the chance to host you again soon.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Very well maintained hotel at very affordable rates.
very spacious room with luxury amenities.
possibility to park down the street instead of using underground parking (15$ saving)
A very good alternative to downtown Ottawa hotels

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I usually stay at this hotel when I am visiting family in Gatineau. Location works well for me, however I would agree with the other reviewers that there is not too much to do around the hotel. The hotel has recently undergone a transformation from a Holiday Inn to a Crowne Plaza. While the renovations were badly needed and long overdue, they seem a bit half-assed.

The rooms are an interesting fusion of new and old furniture, ancient carpeting, wallpaper and trim from the former hotel. Bathrooms have been redone entirely but it looks like they opted to keep the original tubs and tile around them. The new exterior looks quite nice, but the front desk area is lacking in size and splendor. Bar is a joke. The server/bartender constantly had to go into the back to get the keys to the cabinet just so I could get mixed drink and had to refer to the recipe book to make it. Restaurant seems mediocre, breakfast buffet is pretty standard.

The things that disappointed me were 1) Lack of recognition for being an IHG Gold Elite Member at check-in or in room, 2) No hotel directory in the room, nor was I provided with one when I requested it (wanted to order some room service), 3) Sloppy Housekeeping: Bed was sloppily made, desk was not wiped down (bits of takeout from the night before all over), glasses that that looked like they had been wiped down with a filthy cloth, and towels taken but never replaced. The bathroom amenities look like standard issue for a Holiday Inn and not a Crowne Plaza.

I won't deny that this hotel is a great value considering the rate, but it seems to fall quite short of the standards you would expect from a Crowne Plaza. Simply put, there is no 'wow' factor. It's a shame because this hotel has great potential given its size and location. Not sure if I'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators. The damn things beep constantly when they are going up and...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear chilihead911,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Again and Again... this hotel provides an excellent value for business in the Ottawa area... convient location... clean rooms... friendly staff... As a Platinum member I continue to be greeted personally...

After reading some of the other reviews... I must agree tho... there isn't much to do in the area after a day of working... may be nice for a managers reception area for IGH members... why not chat with other road warriors and frequent travellers.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The front desk staff were very welcoming, the room overlooking the river was wonderful and clean. However, breakfast in the morning was a disaster. The service slow. Instead of taking a breakfast order, the staff shrugged that the buffet was over there and did we want coffee. I asked for poached eggs which arrived cold after twenty minutes (and two reminders).

Room Tip: Ask for river view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Michael L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Hello Ed-S-west,
Glad to know that we made you feel welcome and that you like the room experience. Good to know as well that you were here for business meetings. I am truly disappointed by you impressions of the restaurant staff. Can I ask that you contact me so that I can determine with whom we should be speaking about the impression that you left with?