“Nice stay but bad customer service”

Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Gatineau
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at Crowne Plaza during a weekend in august 2013. The rooms were really nice and clean. Our stay would have been perfect before we realized when we arrived home that we forgot something really important in our room. We called housekeeping seven times, left messages for a few days before we finally got a call back. They told they us they haven't found anything, which seems to us almost impossible. In the end, I would have expected a lot more from this hotel regarding customer service. Only for this point, I would recommend you to stay away from this hotel, you never know when you will be the one to forget something...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Hi Mathieu L,

Though I am happy you found the rooms to your liking I would ask if you would contact me so I can ascertain where we had the communication failure on your lost & found request.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have stayed at the CP Gatineau on my past few busienss trips to Ottawa. For the price and location, it's a great value. Definitely recommend this hotel to travellers who want to be close to downtown Ottawa at a good price.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a weekend. Good location very close to downtown ottawa. The room was large and clean, but a mini fridge would have been great.

We booked on Priceline and payed far less than what the hotel was asking but were treated just like everyone else.

There was a wedding going on one of the nights....we didn't hear anything and your wouldn't have even know they were there.

Only problems we had with the hotel were minor. For example, when we asked for additional coffee, cream and sugar for our room we received sweetener and milk which was quickly remedied by a quick visit to the front desk. Staff in the hotel were very pleasant and accommodating.

The one place that needs work is the restaurant. We had lunch one day. There was no one else in the restaurant. The salad I was served was horrible. The chicken was way overlooked and appeared to be reheated. The tortila chips were stale, and half of the lettuce was rotten. When I advised the server I was told she would tell the cook and then proceeded to cheese me full price. We were in a hurry to get somewhere so I let it go until we got back from our outing.

When we returned I approached the front desk and advised them what happened. The front desk told me they would call me after investigating and roughly 30 minutes later I received a call. She advised me that they could not reimburse me for lunch because I paid with debit and instead offered us a coupon for breakfast on them. I was very hesitant about this as I was completely turned off the restaurant but they stated this was all they could do. I accepted and we attended breakfast the next morning. Very mediocre at best.

Overall, the experience was pretty good. I would return to the hotel but would not again eat at the restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Family of 2 adults + 2 yr old
Redeemed only 5000 PC points per night (Points Break promo), so ~$35 CAD/night, what a steal
Stayed in room 1207 - River view, 2nd top floor

Pros
+ Very nice, large room. 1 King + 1 sofa-bed + small kitchen (microwave & fridge, sink)
+ Nice view of Ottawa river
+ Location is close to everything by CAR, still a bit of walk that I wouldn't walk
+ Nice lobby with waterfall stairs
+ for 5000 points/night (~$35 CAD), what can I say
+ Lotus Royal Thai up the street (1 km?) has very nice Thai food (closed on Sundays)

Cons
- You need to ask for code PER wi-fi device (e.g. 2 code for laptop + phone)
- Parking is $16/day, but big tip - STREET Parking is FREE on the weekends (Fri-Sun?), so we saved $32 by parking 2 nights (Fri night and Sat night), and no safety concern

Overall
We loved our stay here for the price and would return if possible

Room Tip: Ask for higher up, river view room. Street parking is free on weekends
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Michael L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Hi JerryHung,
So happy that you enjoyed your stay.
Your comment about the Free Wi-Fi passwords is noted and fixed you can now have three devices on the same password.
Hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

* I became a regular at the CP Gatineau after my first stay during 2013 winter. The executive rooms I use seem, probably like all the rooms in the hotel, to have been renovated not long ago. They are of good size with kitchenette w/ frig and beds are all very comfortable. Staff welcome and support are always good, without being too much. Props to room service! These guys are very cool.
* Avoid rm 826 as the nearby tubing or something alike in the walls are a bit noisy for some reason.
* Walking distance from the hotel are many nice restaurants, a micro-brewery (Brasseurs du Temps) and a park by the river w/ bicycle/running path by the river right in front of the hotel.
* Nice gym and pool too.
* Never had a meal at the restaurant, but colleagues told me it was good, but breakfast were a bit expensive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Very nice and spacious room with fridge and microwave, in nice quiet surroundings. Had a room with a spectacular view of Ottawa and the river. Its surprisingly French so close to Ontario, like it or not, which shows in the availability of e.g. TV-channels especially for older kids. Very friendly reception and easy parking in the basement. Very good nearby (walking distance) restaurants and bars, excellent pool with the only comment that kids below 16y are not allowed alone there, even through there is a lifeguard on watch at all times, 12y would seem more appropriate. Take a walk over to the War Museum its worth a visit. Would not care to much for the in hotel restaurant – go outside for dinner, breakfast buffet is OK, but not great. Business center is excellent, even with free color laser printer and copy machine – not sure if scanning was possible as the user interface was in French

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

They redone all the rooms. Nice pool. Ottawa is across the bridge.This is the best value for the location. You can rent a bixi and ride your bike to Ottawa. The staff are helpful and very friendly. The rooms are big and modern

• Stayed: August 2013