“Great views but unreasonably priced breakfast”

Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Gatineau
Duxbury, Vermont
“Great views but unreasonably priced breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

My friend and I had a 10th floor room overlooking the river with great views of the city, including the Parliament House, Supreme Court and the western skyline. The room was clean. Heat was easy to adjust, but there was no air circulation. There is one exhaust vent in the bathroom, but it didn't seem to be drawing air.

The small kitchenette with microwave and fridge was an added bonus, and something we would have used were we staying longer than 2 nights. The secondary door, made the bathroom area more private and insulated the room from any hallway noise.

The bathroom was roomy and nicely appointed with two make up mirrors (do women really use those things?), but no hooks or towel bars. The toilet paper rolls were awkwardly mounted on the side of the vanity, which required contortions to reach. It's best to take the toilet paper roll off the rod and set it on the shelf right next to the commode. You'll prevent dislocating your shoulder.

The underground garage was reasonably priced and convenient. It was great during the early spring snow storm.

Although the staff was generally helpful and courteous, my biggest complaint would be breakfast. You have a choice of the buffet in the restaurant for $14.95 or buying muffins/croissants in the lobby bar. I just wanted something light so I bought a croissant ($1.75) and juice in the lobby. On Saturday morning I was told they don't serve muffins and croissants in the lobby, although I could get a small size muffin for $2.85 in the restaurant. The server told me she couldn't sell me the muffin for the same price as the ones in the lobby, because those are for the weekdays only. Huh? The pricing made no sense to me and left me feeling like I was getting ripped off, so I declined.

If you stay here, it's best to go out and sit in a nice patisserie or coffee house.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Ottawa and the river.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank puchochot1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Sarnia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

It has good bones... good location, great size, okay price.

It was 78 degrees in our hotel all weekend long. When we complained we were offered a fan. The fan did not help. Seems they don't turn their AC on until next week (and were not willing to adjust this). They had a completely full hotel with hockey teams ... sweaty, stinky girls and their best suggestion at 120.00 a night plus parking was to not use a blanket. The room was so hot, we could not even keep ice in the ice bucket over night.

Multiple people in our group had problems with our keys to our room not working. Myself, I had to go back and forth 3 times before they finally gave me 6 keys to our room. Yes. 6 keys.

We were consistently given only 2 towels for our room with 4 people in it and 1 washcloth.

Ate in the restaurant two times during our trip. Service was horrible the first time. It took us 45 minutes to get our food and just as long to get a drink. After a very long trip from SW Ontario to the hotel... this was unfortunate. The food was very good but not worth the wait. The second experience was for the breakfast buffet... it was very good and decently priced.

The rooms were very big and comfortable with a great view.

The elevators shut with our kids in them many times.

The parking garage had multiple problems. Seems that the blue card you got to get in and out of the garage expires after a certain time. This made for two times for just our room that we were stuck trying to get out of the garage... once while trying to get to an 8AM game in Kanata.

While trying to check out on Sunday... I was told too bad so sad (at 6AM) when asking for a cart. The night attendant at the desk was very unhelpful. It took from beginning to end (no line up) 20 mins just for me to check out of the hotel.

For 450.00 for three nights including parking, I expect more than this.

There were some good parts to the hotel. The city is beautiful and you can see beautiful Ottawa clearly from the hotel but unfortunately, their hospitality is much to be desired.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hckym0m
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear hckym0m,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is nice to hear that the breakfast served during your stay lived up to your expectations. It is unfortunate the AC unit prevented you from fully enjoying your stay at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We recently stayed in this hotel for a hockey tournament. The hotel was full as we expected. I arrived early, was set up with the parking (underground around the corner from the hotel - very easy, in and out access). I was told that my room would be ready at 3. Despite repeated attempts to get in early, I went to the desk at 3 and was told that it wasn't ready. The hotel clearly was having difficulty with managing the numbers. Disapointed, we went out for the evening and at least it was ready when we returned. (I wasn't offered anything for this 'inconvenience' - the front desk seemed overwhelmed or unable to handle the delays; in hindsight I should have asked for a better rate)

The rooms are large and we had a king (with a pull out single bed), plus a kitchenette. The rooms were well appointed expect for some reason the toilet paper roll was hard to reach (?) and there were no hooks in the bathroom (assume it was an oversight on renovations, that must have been fairly recent). The room had a door between the bathroom and sleeping area, which was great - since another hockey team had congregated in the hall outside our room. Once the door was closed, you couldn't hear the people in the hall which was great.

The kids enjoyed the salt water pool which was a decent size.

The location just over the river was good - it was easy to find and navigate too. It is just a short distance to War Museum and not far away from the 417 or the downtown core/Parliment buildings.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Famtastictravel
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Easy to find when you are coming up to it, Underground parking is nice. The rooms were big, clean and very modern. We had a room with two doubles and breakfasts for two package. The bathroom had nice granite countertops, as did the wet bar. The added touch of a second door to the bedroom was nice. It wasn't too noisy that we needed it, but it's a nice option. Be aware that certain rooms are pet-friendly, so I did hear a dog off in the distance, but not too much of a problem to us. Hallways smelt a bit funny, but the rooms were fine. The pool, jacuzzi and sauna were great, very nice. Gym was also nice, lots of A/c and open 24 hrs, for those who want to go either really early or later in the evening. A couple small things: one of the bulbs for our bedside lamps was missing, asked front desk for a new bulb, never got one in the two days we were there. We just ended up using my reading light and pointing it over at my father so he could read, not too big of a deal. The drain in the bathroom didn't open, which was why it was pulled out of the tub when I got there. Again, not too big of a deal, but should have been fixed. Location was perfect to catch a bus downtown (didn't want to have to find parking downtown!). Major bus station a block from the hotel. The breakfast on our package was only a couple bucks for the two of us each day, so we expected to get a continental breakfast, with cereal, toast. Were we surprised! Eggs, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit, yogurt, toasts, pastries, waffles, fried potatoes and baked beans were on offer! Very pleased. Overall, we would stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: If you don't have a pet with you, I'd recommend not picking a pet-friendly area, might have...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank smalltowntraveller1
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I went for a night away, and were pleased by the prompt bilingual service we received without waiting in the bright beautiful lobby. It was Winterlude and so busy, but it was not loud at all in the halls. But much to our chagrin, the keys to our room did not work! We went back the 10 floors down to the lobby to have an attendant at the front desk seem bothered to help us with new keys. No apologies, no acknowledgment. It took 6 set of keys to find one that worked! We got better service from the nice man who came up with the keys(we called down from the phone in the hall). The room was clean, spacious, and perfect, with a view on the Ottawa river. Did not have dinner there...went to the nearby Thai place. Overall 2 of 3 staff were nice and helpful, the room was great - one we were able to get in.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor - worth the view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank delamo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear delamo,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note of your valuable comments and we will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
York, Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights and I must say they were perfect. Clean rooms, great service in the dining room, fast elevators. The beds and pillows were second to none. Great location, centrally located. Indoor HEATED parking!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

If your like me need to be going to Ottawa you got to try this place out its the best kept secret around one of my co-workers turned me on to it and Its..... Fantastic Completely Renovated Huge rooms, excellent food, super nice Staff a Hop away from down-town BEST VALUE FOR THE DOLLAR 5* HOTEL FOR A 3* PRICE!!!

Don't just read this check it out for your self!! I'm going to be on a project for 45 days and just booked one of the extended stay units they have its better than my own apartment feel like I'm living a dream!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
chaudiere21, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Bonjour Scata N,
We truly appreciate your comments and your business. We strongly encourage all guests to provide us with feedback both positive and critical. Without guests expressing their perceptions with are flying blind.

We are very happy that have chosen to stay with us for the duration of your project. If you need anything just ask.