All reviewsunderground parkingplatinum memberthe riverholiday innnice hotelgovernment buildingshigh floorbusiness travelcoffee makerexercise roomone night stayflat screen tvconvenient locationclose to downtownmini fridgenice roomparliament hill
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel end of December for a couple of nights. When I booked the hotel stay I was told that breakfast was included but when I got there they advised me that it was not included. The main reason why I picked the hotel was that breakfast would be included. Going with a family of 4 can be expensive if paying for meals 3 times a day. I was so disappointed and the manager did nothing to make us happy. The pool was great but closed too early. The lifeguard on duty at the pool really did not give us much privacy since she starred at us the whole time we were there in the pool and hot tub. The only great thing about the hotel was that 1 waiter in particular at the restaurant treated us and served us like a king and queen.
Please make sure when you book and are getting free breakfast, get that in writing.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river are pretty!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
chaudiere21, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Hello Starfire,
Happy you liked the rooms and the view. Concerning the confusion over your rate including breakfast can you contact me? With some more information I can see how the reservation was made & try to avoid a reoccurrence.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from Dec. 22nd, to Dec. 27, 2012

The hotel has just spent a lot of money (millions) on upgrades and the main floor and lobby look good and reflect the expenditures.

Some negative comments
1. There was only 1 power outlet (of the two) in the bathroom that worked
2. There were no towel racks
3. No mirror to view the back of head (important to my wife)
4. Pool closes too early - 9 PM on weekdays and Sat. and 8 PM on Sunday
5. Unable to change room temperature (no batteries in unit)
6. Front of bathroom cabinet was not the cleanest
7. The ice machine had no ice on floor 8, no machine on floor 7 and the ice machine of floor 6
also had no ice. I went to the bar and they provided me with ice.
8. The key access cards for the room did not work on most occasions which nescessitated a trip back to the front desk (annoying to say the least from the 8th floor)

Some positive comments
1. Front desk staff very friendly and helpful at all times
2. The bartender was very friendly and helpful - when my wife and I wanted something to eat late one night, he took the order and brought the drinks and food to our room.
3. The staff handling the restaurant was very friendly
4. The room was spacious
5. The king size bed was very comfortable as were the pillows
6. The hotel is very well located with a view of the Ottawa River (from our room)
7. The exercise room is convenient and the machines and weights were more than adequate.

Overall, I give it a FAIR rating (since next rating is VERY GOOD and the hotel does not merit that rating - but I would say GOOD if there was such a category). I think there is still work to be done on upgrades behind the scene but overall, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Mikee1111,

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Nevertheless, we’re sorry for any inconvenience you experienced because we did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 1, 2013

The staff were pleasant, accommodating and helpful and the rooms were spacious and clean. I requested a change in room to be closer with my family and they changed my reservation with no issues. Once we got to our rooms i found the beds were comfy and the bathroom was clean. I would stay here again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Louise Andree P, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments, it is well appreciated

Reviewed November 26, 2012

First it was difficult to find the hotel because although I booked a room at the Holiday Inn, this is now a Crowne Plaza hotel. As our GPS could not find the Crowne Plaza, we stopped in front of the building and I asked a very friendly receptionist if I was at the right place.
We had a huge room very well decorated and with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom had also a good size and it was in a very good condition. The hotel is not far (by car) from the Parliament and downtown Ottawa so we enjoyed the rest of the day in the city. The parking at the hotel was a bit expensive but I guess it is the regular price in Canada. On the next morning, there was a complimentary newspaper waiting outside our room. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Louise Andree P, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you very much for this revue, we as well are pleased with all the changes in the hotel. We look forward for your next visit to the National Capital Region and with us at the Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, do not hesitate to contact us for your next trip.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

The recent change to become the Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa hotel is a positive one. I was very impressed to be upgraded to a spacious, modern, penthouse suite. I actually took pictures and showed them to others. The living room had a red chase lounge sofa, flat screen TV, and kitchenette with full-size fridge, dishwasher, cook top and fully stocked dishes. The bedroom was the best-of-the-best and large rain-shower in the clean, sleek bathroom. The bed was awesome!

Just after I arrived, there was a knock at the door and I received refreshments and treats compliments of the General Manager Michael Lucas – An unexpected surprise – Thanks!

The location is great and I managed to find time to take a very short taxi ride to the parliament buildings and had a nice lunch in the Rideau Centre.

The eggs Benedict at La Jardinière restaurant inside the Crowne Plaza was very good combined with efficient & friendly service. The Restaurant manager truly cares about, and contributed to, the overall dining experience.

Room Tip: Book a suite!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends