“Hotel looks good (but needs work behind the scene)” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa

Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Gatineau
London, Canada
“Hotel looks good (but needs work behind the scene)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from Dec. 22nd, to Dec. 27, 2012

The hotel has just spent a lot of money (millions) on upgrades and the main floor and lobby look good and reflect the expenditures.

Some negative comments
1. There was only 1 power outlet (of the two) in the bathroom that worked
2. There were no towel racks
3. No mirror to view the back of head (important to my wife)
4. Pool closes too early - 9 PM on weekdays and Sat. and 8 PM on Sunday
5. Unable to change room temperature (no batteries in unit)
6. Front of bathroom cabinet was not the cleanest
7. The ice machine had no ice on floor 8, no machine on floor 7 and the ice machine of floor 6
also had no ice. I went to the bar and they provided me with ice.
8. The key access cards for the room did not work on most occasions which nescessitated a trip back to the front desk (annoying to say the least from the 8th floor)

Some positive comments
1. Front desk staff very friendly and helpful at all times
2. The bartender was very friendly and helpful - when my wife and I wanted something to eat late one night, he took the order and brought the drinks and food to our room.
3. The staff handling the restaurant was very friendly
4. The room was spacious
5. The king size bed was very comfortable as were the pillows
6. The hotel is very well located with a view of the Ottawa River (from our room)
7. The exercise room is convenient and the machines and weights were more than adequate.

Overall, I give it a FAIR rating (since next rating is VERY GOOD and the hotel does not merit that rating - but I would say GOOD if there was such a category). I think there is still work to be done on upgrades behind the scene but overall, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Mikee1111,

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Nevertheless, we’re sorry for any inconvenience you experienced because we did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Sandys Parish, Bermuda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

The staff were pleasant, accommodating and helpful and the rooms were spacious and clean. I requested a change in room to be closer with my family and they changed my reservation with no issues. Once we got to our rooms i found the beds were comfy and the bathroom was clean. I would stay here again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Louise Andree P, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments, it is well appreciated
Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

First it was difficult to find the hotel because although I booked a room at the Holiday Inn, this is now a Crowne Plaza hotel. As our GPS could not find the Crowne Plaza, we stopped in front of the building and I asked a very friendly receptionist if I was at the right place.
We had a huge room very well decorated and with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom had also a good size and it was in a very good condition. The hotel is not far (by car) from the Parliament and downtown Ottawa so we enjoyed the rest of the day in the city. The parking at the hotel was a bit expensive but I guess it is the regular price in Canada. On the next morning, there was a complimentary newspaper waiting outside our room. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Louise Andree P, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you very much for this revue, we as well are pleased with all the changes in the hotel. We look forward for your next visit to the National Capital Region and with us at the Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, do not hesitate to contact us for your next trip.
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

The recent change to become the Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa hotel is a positive one. I was very impressed to be upgraded to a spacious, modern, penthouse suite. I actually took pictures and showed them to others. The living room had a red chase lounge sofa, flat screen TV, and kitchenette with full-size fridge, dishwasher, cook top and fully stocked dishes. The bedroom was the best-of-the-best and large rain-shower in the clean, sleek bathroom. The bed was awesome!

Just after I arrived, there was a knock at the door and I received refreshments and treats compliments of the General Manager Michael Lucas – An unexpected surprise – Thanks!

The location is great and I managed to find time to take a very short taxi ride to the parliament buildings and had a nice lunch in the Rideau Centre.

The eggs Benedict at La Jardinière restaurant inside the Crowne Plaza was very good combined with efficient & friendly service. The Restaurant manager truly cares about, and contributed to, the overall dining experience.

Room Tip: Book a suite!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Syed G
Palo Alto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is an OK hotel. Clean, quiet rooms and the staff are responsive to complaints. Which is handy because you need to complain a lot.

Arrive from airport late and tired. Room temperature is 74. A little warm for a good night's sleep. You set the thermostat to 68. Wait 30 minutes, no change. Call maintenance. They can't fix it but find another room where temp is 68. Pack up and move. These things happen.

Wake up next morning in the new room, set temperature to 72 for the day and wait 30 minutes. No change. Still 68 degrees. A little chilly.

Report to front desk and they say 'oh those thermostats do that. We'll send someone up to reboot the software' while you're out.

Come back to room late that night hoping for sleep. Temperature is again 74 and refuses to budge. Complain again and a nice maintenance guy comes up. 'You see sir, you have to set the digital temperature to the number you need'. Well, yes, I know that. 'So sir, I have set the digital temperature to 68.' Well of course I've already done that. So we sit through the charade of watching a room temp that refuses to budge.

Nice guy explains to his boss who then comes up to the room. Again the charade 'you see monsieur you have to set this digital setting to 68 like this'. And of course nothing changes. He disappears, panic stricken and asks me to call his manager.

So I call the hotel manager who also is very nice. She changes to a third room which (for the moment at least is 70). She says it has a window that opens! Maybe - but I can't get it to open. Never mind, I'm going to bed. Will I be able to warm the room up tomorrow? Who cares? I'm out of here and not coming back

Room Tip: Check the thermostat works
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
chaudiere21, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Read your comments and can appreciate that the return visits from nice guys with no solution was frustrating.
At least you made us aware, now we can help the staff understand on how empty explanations affect the guest, in this instance ‘’ I’m sorry I don’t understand why this happening’’ would have been better than ‘’ you have to set the thermostat like this’’.
As mentioned these units are digital and connected to a server so we are able to diagnose any issues that occur. I just looked and currently we have one unit not communicating. Based on your comments I believe it may be a three way valve that it is sticking. If you would contact me and let me know when you were here I can go back and learn what the trouble was.
I am pleased that you found we have ‘’Clean, quiet rooms'' and that the staff are responsive and nice, it’s too bad for us that we couldn’t fix our A/C problem in your room while you were here.
Contact Info: 1 800 567 1962 or at mlucas@rosdevhotels.com
Thank you for your comments.