“Will not stay there again” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le St-Christophe - Hotel & Spa

Le St-Christophe - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Granby
Cookshire
“Will not stay there again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

I have been to this hotel 5 times. I was pretty satisfied the first and second times. However, on the last 3 occasions, which occurred in the past 2 years, we were quite disappointed. We had reserved the Chablis suite, which is about $230. There are more than one of these suites and we stayed in all of them (2, 3 and 4th floor). The beds in all these rooms are extremely uncomfortable. They cave in the middle, as if they were very old.
On the last occasion, the whirlpool bath in our room was broken. We had paid extra for this room...On the last 3 occasions as well, the Jacuzzi by the pool was kept at a very low temperature. We arrived there at 11:00 AM and it was freezing. It takes about 3-4 hours to get it back to a normal, warmer temperature, so we got out of there after one hour or so. We noticed that the pool was very dirty. We did not dare to swim in it. This was on a Sunday morning and we were the first people there, so the place had not been cleaned the night before. This is too bad because we find the staff quite nice there. Positive points are the breakfast, the location, the room service, and the kind staff. We wish we could go again but will not because of these negative aspects.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SoniaZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Lachute, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

in august we called and reserved a rom for our vacation with my family. We reserved for the 2 days zo package. When they took my reservation, I told the clerk that i would pay for the room cash at check-in. I gave my credit card number and told they weren't allowed to put anything on it. The lady told my that it was fine.

So that morning, when I came in to do or check-in, I presented my debit card to pay and the clerk assumed that because I had stars on it, they tought I had tons of money and they requested a extra 100$ on my credit card for the minibar. I told them that I was not advise of that matter when I reserved. They insisted and I said there is no way I am going to let that happen. I had planned to pay cash for the room and nothing more­.

After talking to his manager he told me I am sorry but I have to insist...well I said I am sorry but I will so somewhere else...and that exactly what we did.

Also the price was not what we were told what it would be. On a invoice of 300$ + taxes...it should come to 338.63$ and not the 350 + that was on my invoice.

Very disapointing

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank minou000
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

While the hotel itself is quite nice in a kitsch sort of way -- clean and new but made to look old and charming; fine rooms, well located, if a bit pricey -- the evening chef at Le Picollo ruined our stay. He displayed unspeakably discourteous behaviour after we'd endured screw-ups by his staff of comedic proportions, which deteriorated after an hour and a half to the no-longer tolerable. We did not at first mind having to wait 30 minutes beyond our 8 pm reservation while they readied a table of 6 for us. Once seated, we politely declined the bottle of Alsatian Muscat because we'd ordered a French Muscadet (not same!). A little while later we learned they'd run out of Muscadet -- that and all Portuguese whites as well. Some time later, another white was presented, opened and poured but hadn't been chilled and was laughably, undrinkably warm for a hot August night. By then our tasty soup had come and gone and still no wine, though thankfully the children's plates had arrived. Painfully sober we passed on the only cold bottle they came up with: cheap Quebec plonk too yellow-looking for wine. An hour after placing our meal order we're then told they'd run out one of our dinner selections; then more delays after ordering an alternate because the server neglected to ask which sauce to cook the mussels in. By now unimpressed, thirsty and hungry, I complained to the server (en français, bien sûr). The chef came to our table and, instead of showing empathy, trying to be accommodating or offering an apology, brusquely told us to finish up and leave -- not that we'd had anything to finish up! Aghast at his rudeness, we then picked up and walked out, yet he continued to disabuse us while we waited for the elevator and, to our surprise and dismay, behaved even more like a high-strung boor by deigning to charge our hotel bill, which took an argument on our part the next morning to have the charge removed by hotel management. In the interest of fairness, we wish to point out that our breakfast the next morning in the very same restaurant was very good, the service prompt and courteous. To sum up, the St-Christophe Hotel & Spa is a nice establishment whose appeal was marred by a chef in Le Picollo that manages his restaurant like a 3rd-rate roadside snack bar.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank allyghazi
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2007

I stayed at this independent hotel, built just a few years ago, for a couple of days visiting family. Though its rather ornate French style is somewhat out of place in a mid-size town, you can see that there was at least some effort to make the place look original and luxurious.

I reserved the Chablis suite, which overlooked Boivin Lake. I wouldn't call it a suite, as it is only one large room. It had a balcony, a whirlpool for two in one corner, a memory foam bed, lots of storage place and a minibar; I thought it was very nice. However the problems started when I looked for the Internet connection.

Since there was no information about in-room amenities I had to call the front desk, who confirmed that the connection was wired; however they didn't know where the jack was and I wasn't able to find it. A staff member located it behind a huge wardrobe, far away from the desk, which was itself in an area devoid of any electrical outlets...

I asked for another room. There was no staff to help me with my luggage, so I had to repack, go back downstairs, have my key reprogrammed and get back up to the new room.

I was given the Champagne suite - still just one large room. The Internet jack was under the desk; a good location, but you have to get on your hands and knees to plug in the computer, and many hotels these days have desk jacks. Also, inexplicably, the lone phone was located on a small round table, across the room. Its cable was so short that I had to put it on the floor and extend the receiver cord to the max so I could talk while sitting on the elaborate chaise longue. Forget about phoning while at the desk.

Among the other irritants: 1) Gin in the minibar, but no tonic water, soda water or lemon soda; 2) a coffee machine (good), but you have to remove it from the large cabinet, put it on the desk and get back on your hands and knees to plug it in in one of the very rare electrical outlets - and housekeeping didn't give me a new pouch of coffee for the next morning; 3) annoying semi-removable clothes hangers worthy of cheap motels; 4) a safe that I couldn't use because it was already locked - I would have had to call the front desk, but no more since I had just called to 5) ask how to get my phone messages since the message light was flashing on the phone, only to be told to simply press the "Message" key - but there was no such key on the phone!

To make a long story short, the owners put a lot of thought in the appearance of the hotel, but they overlooked one simple fact: the most important difference between, say, a Motel 6 and a Four Seasons is not in the furnishings but in the service. I won't care about the appearance if I'm annoyed by the lack of functionality.

• Liked — Originality
  • Disliked — Absent or dysfunctional amenities
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank frankinto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granby
Hotel Castel & Spa Confort
#3 of 7 in Bromont
Auberge Bromont
Auberge Bromont
#5 of 7 in Bromont

Been to Le St-Christophe - Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!