“Great zoo, get here early”

Granby Zoo (Zoo de Granby)
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Granby
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Zoo de Granby is one of the major zoos located in Canada and North America’s northeast. It is home to nearly 1,500 animals from over 225 different species.
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This zoo is more than just a zoo: it's a zoo, amusement park and water park all in one! The zoo is excellent with animals (including lions, elephants, giraffes, kangaroos, wallabys, fish, pands etc) broken up by continent. The staff is very friendly, the maps are user-friendly and the entire place is very kid and family friendly. The water park is a nice way to cool down on a hot day and the amusement park is fun, too. The parking lot fills quickly so get there early but parking on the streets nearby is very easy - don't bother taking the shuttle from off-site parking.

1  Thank mmb617
"roller coaster"
"arrive early"
"picnic tables"

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Well located.Near gas stations ,restaurants,stores.
A good variety of animals to visit.
Amusement park great for young children.
You can pack your own lunch.
The Amazoo is a great waterpark for all ages which includes a wave pool.
Affordable...

2  Thank Pierre D
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I have been yearly to this zoo for the last 3 years! It is clean beautiful great staff and the animals are not to spread out easy to walk around. Lots of shaded areas for families lots of interactive events timed through the day. I love how the set up is done by regions of the word. The aquarium is beautiful! The water park is great! No huge wave slides but lots of fun. I recommend this zoo over any other zoo!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I picked the busiest week of the year to take the kids to the Granby Zoo. My bad. Quebec's construction holiday is on and half of the province was at the zoo. With this in mind, hopefully your visit will be less crazy than mine.

We bought the two day pass. The second day can be used up to 10 days later but we used them back-to-back.

1. Arrive early. On day one we pulled into the lot at about 9:20, which got us a spot right next to the entrance, no line up to pull into the lot and no line up to buy tickets. On day two we arrived at 9:40 and had to wait about 15 minutes bumper to bumper to make it into the parking lot, then another 10 minutes or so to have our tickets validated and get our wristbands. If you arrive early and go in the zoo entrance (as opposed to the watermark entrance) you get get a coffee and snacks or browse the gift store as you wait.

2. Lockers inside are $5 with a $10 refundable deposit. If you are planning to swim and don't have a big group with someone to stay at home base they are worth it. I easily fit a large backpack inside. The keys are on large elastics, too big for my wrist, too small to wrap around twice. Maybe bring something you can loop it to, or a strong safety clasp.

3. Tons of families haul coolers around in wagons that are for rent. Others just claimed picnic tables and left their coolers while they went to play. Prices at the restaurants are not outrageous ($5.95 for a grilled cheese, small salad and bag of chips for the kids, $6.50ish for a chicken wrap freshly made with lots of veg for me). Line ups at the restaurants were not bad at all. Finding tables nearby is more challenging.

4. The afternoon at the waterpark (Amazoo) is nuts. People were packed so tightly at the smaller of the two wave pools that I was sure I was going to get an elbow in my face. After a couple of minutes I pulled the kids out. The large wave pool wasn't much better. My littlest one was knocked down by a big guy - not really his fault, there were people everywhere. The more kid friendly pools were also wall to wall people. The change room lineups were very long and totally disorganized.

5. The morning and late afternoon at the watermark are great. We did a 10-12 shift and had all the room in the world. We also did a 4-6 shift which was quite good, especially toward the end. There was no lineup at all for the lazy river.

7. There is a section of the park that has rides, mostly for small children. It opens at noon. I would think that kids 3ish to 7ish wold be happiest in here. Biggest hits with my two were the bumper cars and the indoor playground/climbing area. You need socks for the indoor playground (they also sell them at $2/pair). Most of the rides are included in the admission fee but there is a roller coaster (2.50) and a pirate ship (same price I think). The very small monorail that runs around the park also costs extra. You can also buy a book of tickets for this ride (10 tickets for $20) if you know you'll need that many. The roller coaster was one ticket, the monorail was $2 if I remember correctly.

8. Chairs in the waterpark get snapped up quickly and people camp on them all day, leaving their stuff even if they aren't around. Plan accordingly and grab yours, or bring something to throw on the grass if you want to sit at any point.

9. If you want to see animals do anything other than sleep, go first thing in the morning. The cages here are fairly small so if your sympathies lie with the animals in any way, shape or form you will probably be depressed by, for example, the tracks the tigers have worn in the ground from pacing around their cage. It's not the most depressing zoo I've ever seen, but you can't kid yourself that these animals, especially the larger ones, are content with the space they have.

10. I don't have a 10, but it makes a nice round number :)

10  Thank S L