“Fun!”

43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

When you arrive it's not very clear where to go. You kind of just have to flag someone down and let them know you are there for dog sledding. They will take you to a little shack full of winter gear where you will have the opportunity to put on additional winter gear (boots, snow-pants, mittens, hats, etc).

From there you see the dogs and get your sled set up. The guide gives you some pointers and then you are off. The guide goes with you in his own dog sled and stays ahead of you at all times. We followed in a separate sled with one person driving and one person sitting in the sled. Although our dogs looked small they were fast! We were amazed at how fast we went. At first I felt bad for the dogs but they were clearly having a blast and would only get rowdy if you made them stop running. It was funny to see them biting the snow around them as they ran (I guess they were thirsty!).

The dogs are super strong so if you're little using your weight to tell them to stop the sled is more of a suggestion than a command. However, as long as you stay behind your guide you'll be fine. The dogs know the path really well and it seemed like they were mainly just chasing after the sled in front of them.

If you have multiple people make sure to tell your guide that you both want a chance to drive the sled. Our guide helped us stop and switch places so we both had a turn. We also gave him my camera for the last few minutes of the ride and he got some great shots of us driving the sleigh, which was really nice of him.

After the dog sledding we took advantage of the snow shoeing and tubing, which are included in the price. Those aren't organized activities. You just go find the snow shoes and take off on a trail. You'll eventually come to the tubing area. Make sure to look around before going down the tubing hill since you'll fly across the path where the dog sleds come through.

This was definitely a fun way to spend the afternoon!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank chins01

Toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

We spent our anniversary in Quebec City and saw the pamphlet about this site at our hotel. We decided at the last minute to try dog sledding since the place is on the way back to Toronto from Quebec. I was apprehensive at first but after going through the activity, it was not hard at all to maneuver the sled and control the dogs. The dogs know the trail well and the guide is right in front of you in case there is a problem. They also have jackets, gloves, hoods, ski pants just in case you need one. Our guide is Robin and he is a great guide.

Visited February 2014
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

DO IT!!! I just came back from a trip to Montreal and Quebec City for the holidays. My girlfriend and I wanted to do dog sledding. On the morning of Dec. 30 I called several places and asked for availabilities for the next day Dec. 31st. Not surprisingly with the fact that it was the holidays and at the last minute most places were full and the ones that weren't were so expensive. Then I called Chenil La Poursuite. I spoke to a man named Pascal. He was super nice and informed me that for $48/person my girlfriend and I could come anytime the next day. We were more than happy with our experience. We took a taxi both going and coming back (about $50 each way). The guides at the dog sledding were super nice, they spoke English and French. They gave us a short instruction before we left. They also had extra warm clothes (pants, gloves, etc...) for people to use for free to keep warm on the trip. The scenery was beautiful. They also allowed us to play with the puppies (they also operate a kennel for people to buy dogs and puppies) and do snowshoeing or tube sliding for free (which we declined).

1 Thank ThomasTF
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Dog Sled in Quebec”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

My family went to Quebec City during X'mas holiday break for 3 days. We were not sure about the weather there, so we didn't make any rservation for any activity. It took us about 7 hours to get to Quebec and basically just had a dinner then went to bed to end our first day. The second day when we woke up, the wind chill temperature was 25 degree below 0 as it was aweful windy outside. We stayed in the hotel during the morning and went out after lunch. My son and daughter are in colleges.Before the trip, I've been thinking about getting both children to try dog sled which they've never experienced before. We drove about 30 minutes to a dog sled site which had nice flyer advitised from hotel. We arrived the site around 2:00pm and saw there were about 6 - 7 sled teams ready to take off. Each sled had about 5 dogs tied togheter. They all looked tired and cold. The dog sled organizers told us they were all booked until New Year. Later on, I found this dog sled site only has about 50 dogs and provides 4 runs per day. No wonder, the dogs looked exhausted ! After returned back to hotel, I searched through internet and found Chenil La Poursuite which actually I'd read through their site before the trip, but didn't see they put any advertisement in the hotel. I asked my husband to call the site and see if they can schedule us before we plan to leave the city. The person answered the phone told my husband that they were all booked before New Year, but my husband told them we would leve next day so they agreed to schedule us for a one hour ride on next day 10:00am. I was so happy that finally we could get one outdoor activity within this 3 days' visit. We were asked to be on the site at 9:45am but we got there at 10:05 am. It took us about 25 minutes to get there due to high Monday morning traffic. The site was very nice. They were still waiting for us. The guide was a young gentleman who gave us a short training then walked away for few minutes to check on few things. We then walked in a huge fenced field which had over 100 dog houses inside. Most of the houses were empty. I petted a few of the huskies which were still there. When our guide came back, he gave me a pair of mitten and blanket. It was very nice of him because he must have seen my gloves were not warm enough. We then walked to our sleds along with one other family and our guide. There were 5 sleds waiting for us. Each sled has 5 beautiful energentic huskies tied togethere. I am a dog lover. I looked over the 25 dogs very quickly. Some of them had blue eyes and they were all very good looking, strong huskies. Our guide took the first sled and the rest of us all had a sled with two persons each. I had the sled with my son and our sled was the last one in the team. My daughter and my husband's sled was in front of us. The the first few minutes of sled run, my son stopped the sled too close to my daughter's so 10 dogs started playing and socialing together. This made the strings which tied to the dog tangled a litte bit. The guide came to help to untangle the string. After that, we ran our sleds very smoothly. The site designs their route very well. We drove the sled through woods, a very small up hill, down hill and crossed a very big open field which was like we usually saw from the TV. We also saw several of Teepees setup in the woods and people holding their pillows and blankets walked around. I believe the site also provides teepee stay over night activity. After the ride, it was way passed 12 o'clock. We booked for 1 hour ride but we actullay had a total over an hour solid ride. The site only charges $48 for an hour ride and tax is included. Compared to other sites, their charge is extremely good! My husband paid after the ride and gave our guide a tip. We petted and took many pictures with our sled dogs and we noticed most of the dog hosues had their tenants back. It's amazing to see so many huskies at one time ! The dog sled turned out to be a highlight of our trip. I will definitly return to this dog sled site and try their half day ride when I visit the city next time.

4 Thank Foodie01012223
Maynard, Massachusetts
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“High Light of Trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

Extended Family Trip of 6 (4 adults and 2 children) had an absolute blast dog sledding on our recent trip to Quebec City. We'd certainly do this again.

Our guide (Tanya) did an outstanding job...very friendly, professional, and knowledgeable. If we returned, we'd ask for her again. The dogs are very friendly and want to run….all appear to be in great shape and condition. Other guides looked friendly as well…overall great experience.

We had (3) sleds and everyone that wanted an opportunity to drive the slide, had a chance to, even our children 7 and 9 (with adults to assist) during the hour long ride. After we did some quick tubing (nothing great but it was a nice added bonus).

Only downside was that the gift shop was not open and was limited in merchandise.