“Not a $140 a Night Hotel (plus $200 Damage Deposit).”

Canad Inns Portage la Prairie
Ontario
“Not a $140 a Night Hotel (plus $200 Damage Deposit).”
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night. A friend booked the rooms for us, so I hadn't researched before selecting this hotel. Upon check in, I found out that this hotel holds a $200 damage/theft deposit on top of the cost of a double room, which came to $140 per night. I have stayed in MANY hotels and resorts around North America and the Caribbean. I have never destroyed a room, nor have I ever stolen anything. Canad Inns - when you ask me (and everyone else, as per your "Corporate Policy") for a damage deposit before you even know me, you are telling me that you don't trust me to not damage your property or steal from you. This is an insult. I paid it because my friend booked the room. The room (116) was horribly outdated and worn, and didnt smell good (like old cigarette smoke from when smoking was allowed and was never cleaned out). There was nothing in this room even worth the $200 damage deposit and was not what you would expect in rural Manitoba for $140 a night, more like maybe $100 a night. This is a shame, because I recently stayed at a hotel that I believe is owned by the same company and was very pleased with my stay. The amenities were minimal, although there was free wifi. The bed was comfortable. I did not eat here on this visit to Portage la Prairie, but have with a team in the past. I understand that there ARE people in the world who do steal from and damage hotel rooms. I am not one of them.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Trent W, General Manager at Canad Inns Portage la Prairie, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hello Freezing 1

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on your stay with us here at Canad Inns in Portage. I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with our credit card policy. I am surprized you have never heard of of this as it is common in most hotels and chains when checking in. Because you never made the reservation yourself i am thinking the person that made the reservation did not pass that info along as we are very upfront about it. Our rates are floating depending on the time of year, occupancy or group you are with. I am sorry you did not get to try the many amenities we have in the hotel like the wi-fi, the pool, gym VLT's, loung, pub and restaurant.. When passing thru next time may i suggest a upgrade to one of the newer suites.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had stayed with Canad Inns before, so upon checking in to our room on the first floor in Portage la Prairie, we were really disappointed. The room itself is cramped, and in need of a complete renovation.
There was black mildew all around the bathtub, and the shower enclosure was cracked and stained. Shower water temperature varied during the shower, from hot-lukewarm-hot again. The wall next to the tub has been soggy with paint falling off, same with around the window. The sink located outside of the bathroom takes forever to drain. The furniture and walls are very bashed up. Not what we had come to expect from a Canad Inns. The beds and pillows were comfortable.
The front desk staff were very polite and helpful, and the kids enjoyed the swimming pool and waterslide. It was a clean area and did not smell too strong of chlorine which was nice. Breakfast at Aaltos was also good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Helo glp2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay in with us. Although we try to strive for complete satisfaction by your comments i we fell short. I have gone thru the room with our housekeeping manager and shared your review with management and staff. We have standards to meet and gone thru them again to make sure an oversight does not go unnoticed. I am glad to here you enjoyed the comfort of the room and that service was excellent.

Travelers are raving about these Portage la Prairie hotels

Winnipeg
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My sister, my daughter and I stayed here overnight for a friend's wedding. The wedding was at 2:30 and room check-in was not until 3pm so we were worried about where we would get ready for the wedding. We didn't have to worry though as we were able to check-in right when we arrived at 1:30. It was a comfortable room with 2 double beds and we liked the fact that the sink and mirror/vanity were outside of the bathroom. This made it much easier for 3 girls to get gussied up! There was complimentary coffee or tea and a good sized mini fridge to hold our snacks! We attended the wedding which was held at the hotel and danced like crazy til 1 am. We had a comfy sleep, check-out was a breeze, and enjoyed the buffet at Aalto's. It was a short visit but the staff was very friendly and the hallways / common spaces were clean and inviting. Sadly, we didn't get the opportunity to use the pool area...maybe next time. My daughter said 'I want to come back here to stay for a longer time'. Sounds like a plan!

Room Tip: It is a smoke free facility so it has good clean air!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank Robert & Mauree... K
Ontario
Reviewed July 4, 2013

An hour from Winnipeg Airport which was fine for me as i was staying in Portage for the weekend. The room had everything you would need including a flat screen, nice king bed with 6 pillows which i loved.

A nice pool and hot tub which was great for the young ones and a decent restaurant on the main floor. Also the elevator was nice to take to the 2nd floor. That was a bonus.

If anything wrong i would say the service and selection at the restaurant could have been better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Trent W, General Manager at Canad Inns Portage la Prairie, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Hello Dear Guest

Thank you for the review on trip advisor. Your positive outlook will be shared with our team here at Canad Inns Portage la Prairie.
Moose Factory, Canada
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Perfect for our family trip as we were passing through Portage, has all amenities, boys 7 & 2 loved the pool, waterslide and kiddies pool perfect size, not too big. Restaurant had great food and great service. The only downfall was in the booking, we booked the rooms online and we thought we were getting one type of room, however when we checked in, we were notified that the online booking didn't match what we got when we checked in. There is a Naturopath Doctor located in the main hall and that was a real convenience and was able to make an appt on the same day, the best treatment ever :)

Room Tip: Call to book
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hello Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. Your comments will be shared with the team here. Online bookings can sometimes be a little difficult when wanting a specific room type, maybe try calling the hotel direct.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had a nice stay here, the room was very neat and clean, although upon check-in we took our bags down to our room and discovered that our room was right across from a drink, snack and ice machine, so back we went to change our room. Since we checked in early, we knew that switching rooms should be no issue, but my gosh, the front desk clerk made it seem like it was a HUGE problem.
Anyhow, past that it was a pleasant stay. The pool is nice and although the hot tub is small it is pleasant and hot enough. The soup and salad and dessert buffet for 9.99$ was fantastic. Thanks for allowing a late check-out of 12 noon. Very much appreciated.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hello Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us. Switching rooms at times can me a little difficult especially on a full weekend when so many teams want to be with each other and accross from each other etc. I am glad to see we were able to accomadate you. Your review will be shared with our team here. Once again thanks and l look forward to seeing you again here at Canad Inns Portage la Prairie
swan lake mb canada
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here overnight for a meeting.

Room : clean, no complaint with it. Did get in a little earlier than check-in time(called ahead as they suggested).

Aaltos: standard fare, lunch was not bad. Breakfast was the standard bacon & eggs fare etc.
Service was definitely what I would call leisurely on both occasions. Friendly and attentive initially, left to your own after. Had to track one waitress down to giver her my CC and stood 10 mins at the till for the other. No real disasters, but need some pep in the step.

Hotel : pleasant lobby, decor. Main issue is clearly some of the clientele, staff seem to handle this well. Not cheap for what you get overall, but there is little else to choose in town. Had a very confusing way of charging the $200 damage deposit to your credit card and "lifting" it later, but bill was correct in the end.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I will be sharing your thoughts with our staff and management.