“I have never had an experience like this”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quesnel
Bowron Lake Lodge and Resorts
Canada
“I have never had an experience like this”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2009

I have been taking my family to BowronLake Lodge for the last 8 years for a week of camping and canoeing. I was sorry to see that the lodge had burnt down last fall. We went to register @ the new lodge to find the door locked, we had to wait for 20 minutes to be greeted by 2 of the most unfriendly and rude people I have ever met. When we asked were Jim was the woman started to bad month him and tell us that they are the new managers with new rules. Very unprofessional and not a way to run a bussiness. Anyways our weeklong trip was cut short by the way we were treated over the first couple of days.
To the new managers of BLL - this is not the way to run a resort and you should take some lessons from the previse owner - He was the reason we kept coming back.

Stayed June 2009

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Quesnel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

This is a very nice setting for any camping you would like to do , to be able to camp right on the beach was great. As far as the people running the lodge this year , there is lots of room for improvement. Sky I believe her name is was rude and abnoxious at the best. she couldn't have been less helpful.Her son and husband seem to have a little more enthusiasm than she does for being there. I think they should put her in a canoe and just tell her to head south and dont bother coming back until its time to pack up and get her stuff out of there, please dont come back unless you want to be there " SKY" Wont recommend this place to anyone as long as she is there. Sorry

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jrmques

Travelers are raving about these Quesnel hotels

B.C.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

Although the scenery at the Bowron Lake Lodge is unbeatable, our weekend camping trip was marred by the unfriendly, lazy and obnoxious manager, Skye. All I ever saw her doing was ragging on campers or worse, her staff, inappropriately and rudely. The whole resort is quite rundown but I could tell the young staff were working hard to try to keep up with very little discernible direction from the managment. Other campers also commented on this to me, and frankly unless there are changes made we will not return. Beckers Lodge up the hill is much nicer, although it doesn't have the beach setting like Bowron.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cowgirl30
Quesnel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

First camping trip of the year and we get treated like a piece of garbage!!

Arriving at 11:30pm (AT NIGHT) we decided to go park the trailer and we would go pay the next day since there was no lights on in the lodge. In the morning a man shows up at our camp site (Andrew Russell) and told us to pay or we have to pack up our stuff and leave immediately. Good approach! We said ok no problem, we will be over once we are finished breakfast. He said “no you will pay NOW, I am not leaving until you do.” He then ESCORTED us over to the office where his wife is (Skye Russell). She would not even acknowledge us until we said something. She asked us if we were registered and we said no and then she asked us if we knew how to read the signs that said Please register before entering campsites! Nice! After making the $52 payment (EACH) with no hook ups, no firewood and having to supply our own toilet paper for their washrooms, she would not give us a receipt! I told her I was not leaving until she gave me one. She then said “ I am going to rip up your receipt, keep your money and get you escorted of the property by the cops! I told her that we would not ever be back due to their poor attitudes. With a smart remark back she said “Is that a threat or are you going to make it a promise?!?! To me as a business owner myself that is very unprofessional and can not believe that someone can stoop that low.

We decided to continue on with our camping trip even though they destroyed it already! THEN……….after hauling our quads all the way out there, they told us we were not allowed to ride them anywhere and if we even took them off our trailers, they would reports us and we would get a $600 fine. We didn’t argue. But what do they do, they drive around on theirs all day (on the road).

I do not recommend camping their for the life of me. We are so disgusted with Andrew and Skye Russell with there way of business, that they have been reported to the “Better Business Bearu”, I have commented on every single website that I can find and have wrote thumbs down in our local bargain hunter. I have lived in Quesnel all my life and know LOTS of people and will make sure that everyone I talk to will know what kind of people you are. Good luck with the business and I look forward to new owners next year!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
19 Thank kamp_enterprises01
Chilliwack
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

Just got back from a week on the Bowron Lake circuit, we had excellent friendly service from Andrew and Skye the new managers of Bowron Lake Lodge. They took over on June 1st and have the place up and running with all the equipment necessary for a great trip. My first time back since 1990 and can,t wait to do it again. Thanks guys. Bryan.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2009

After two months of trading emails with the owner, the lodge was boarded up when we arrived. There was no amenities or staff members present. The place was quite run down and did not look comfortable.
We instead used Becker's Lodge which was fantastic.
After completing the circuit, we camped one night on the lawn near the closed Bowron Lake Lodge and the owner came and kicked us off his land. He did not know who we were despite my emails.
On our trip we met so many great people but BLL stands out against the grain.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank kcwyckoff
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2009

It might be a decent lodge, but I wouldn't know about it.

My friends and I booked a trip to the Bowron Lakes circuit, but Bowron Lakes Lodge turned out to be a bigger letdown than getting a dead dog for Christmas.

We had been in contact with the owner for about two months in advance, both over email and on the phone, during which we confirmed our reservation without incident. He said, slightly paraphrased, "I'll see you out there on the 20th!". At this point we approached a series of letdowns and colossal failures.

Letdown #1.) THERE WAS NOBODY THERE
Yeah, we got there and it was completely empty. The buildings were locked and boarded up, and there was not a soul to be found. Confused, we went up to another lodge, who informed us that they were actually closed for the summer. That wouldn't have been a problem, except nobody told us, so after we spent 400 each on plane tickets and more on equipment, we showed up with nowhere to get canoes or vital supplies.
Now, I'm not what you'd call a hotel expert or anything, but if I may, I'd like to take this moment to offer my advice on how to run a lodge:
IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE CLOSED FOR AN ENTIRE SEASON, DON'T TELL YOUR CLIENTS THAT YOU'RE GOING TO BE OPEN.

It's alright though, since we went to their competitors at Becker's lodge for services and equipment and they were very friendly, but don't think we were out of the woods just yet. We soon approached another setback.

Letdown #2)
In our conversations with the owner of Bowron Lakes Lodge, he had informed us that the lake was fully open, and there was no ice to be found.
Upon arriving at the lake, we soon found that, yep, you guessed it, there was ice on the lake! In fact, half of it was still frozen over! This means that , though we payed for park permits for the entire circuit, we only got to go on half of it. Jim McKittrick, a meteorologist you are not!

But that was alright, because we got a nice 10 day trip out of it. On our way back, we found more unpleasant business.

Letdown #3) The owner showed up on our last day.
I know, I know. I said he wasn't there, and now he shows up, and now you're thinking I went and ruined the story. Don't worry, it's not like he was friendly or hospitable or anything.
We walked passed him on our way to return some of our rental supplies at another lodge. He "greeted" us very curtly. No "hello" no "hi there" no "nice day," not even a "who the hell are you?". He just sort of hollered at us "is that your stuff out at the campsite?" which we affirmed, and he informed us tersely that the lodge was closed.

He left us to our own devices after promising us service for months in advance, only to show up at the end to kick us off his property. Now THAT is some quality lodge management!

Thanks for nothing, sir!

In short: we showed up at this dilapidated, barely maintained lodge with the expectation of at least some form of service only to receive none. Fortunately, there happens to be a very good lodge just up the hill from this one called "Becker's Lodge" and they were more than willing to help us out.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank dpxfp2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quesnel
Quality Inn Quesnel
#1 of 2 in Wells
Travelodge Quesnel BC
Travelodge Quesnel BC
#5 of 15 in Quesnel

Been to Bowron Lake Lodge and Resorts? Share your experiences!