“A friendly face after a long drive”

Sandman Hotel Quesnel
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Quesnel
Reviewed February 25, 2013

After a long snowy drive, I was welcomed with a friendly face. I had called the day before to see if they had any vacancy possibly the next night... I wasn't sure how far I would make it so didn't want to book in case weather was sketchy. The lady at the front desk remembered my call! Asked me how my trip was and provided quick and efficient but friendly service! I'm sure she saw I was bedraggled pulling in at 11pm and she lifted my mood when she upgraded me to a King size bed and ensured my room overlooked my truck and trailer in the neighboring parking area. The room was very nice, clean and the bed was very comfortable. The whole experience was a good one and I will definitely be back :)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here on business for the evening. The hotel is conveniently located near Walmart, gas stations, 7 Eleven... There is a Denny's and a Shark Club in the hotel which is nice because it gives you options. The staff was friendly. The room was a bit outdated, beds firm, tvs old, gym small, pool small. I wasn't expecting anything too fancy anyways! I never complain about these things but there was a stain under my sink with hair stuck in it from the moment I checked in. After a long day of work and travel I wasn't down to switch rooms. The wifi was pretty good. I might try the Best Western next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
SandmanQuesnel, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Quesnel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for your comments. While our pool is not full-size, most people do find it large enough, and our gym offers a new universal gym, treadmill and step machine. If you are used to swimming lengths, or working out in a full-size gym, I can see why you might find these a bit small. We look at areas to improve our property each year. This year we we were able to upgrade our old TV's to new 36" flatscreens. New duvet covers have been ordered for most of the rooms, but not all of the rooms have been updated as of yet; you must have been in a room with a bedspread. We have also recently invested in an extensive new wi-fi system that has allowed us to offer a good strong signal (still at no charge to guests) throughout the building. As for the stain under your bathroom sink, I can only apologize for the oversight. We would have been happy to provide you with a new room if you had brought this to our attention. We have very high standards for our housekeepers and we can proudly say that that we have a reputation for having a very clean hotel. I do understand, however, that changing rooms after a long day is not always a welcome option for some guests. If you do visit us on a return trip, please contact me and I'll be happy to see how we can improve your next stay. Rob Moutray; General Manager

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Decided to stop here on my drive home after seeing how nice the place looks. It is in South Quesnel, right on the highway (in front of the Walmart). As other reviewers have said, the lobby looks lovely, and the rooms are the standard brown colours, but nicely appointed (other than the old TVs). Staff are very friendly. Convenient to have 2 restaurants that you can go to without going out in the cold -- Denny's at one end and the Shark Club (sports bar/restaurant) at the other (had dinner there and it was quite good). HOWEVER, next time I am there, I would definitely ask for the opposite side from the Shark Club. The outside patio is used as the smoking lounge, and it was very noisy even from my room on the second floor. I ended up having to turn on the air conditioner fan to create some "white noise" as it was after midnight and I needed to get some sleep to continue the rest of my drive.

Room Tip: Try something far away from the pub.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have stayed at Sandmans for many years and have often thought the hotels likely won't age well as they are built with very cheap materials. The Quesnel location is a prime example. The exterior and lobbys always make you feel like you are checking into a nice hotel but the rooms are terrible. The bed was so uncomfortable that camping on the ground would be my closest comparison. Old tube tvs, paint pealing off the bathroom ceiling, multiple tiles on floor and around shower are cracked, old comfortors and bedding... this hotel needs a massive renovation. As mentioned in other reviews, don't expect a smile or greeting when you arrive to check in, nice gal at the front desk but she looked really unhappy. The only positive for me was being attached to the Shark Club restaurant as they have decent food.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Our third time in a Sandman Hotel & we found this to be fine. Very accessible by road, ample parking; nowhere much to walk in the vicinity but this is located for car-treveller convenience, like many European industrial zone Hotels. If you want individuality look elsewhere. Spacious room, very nice lobby & very pleasant staff. No problems. QED.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The staff was very friendly. The location is wonderful if you need to run out and grab a few things. There is a resturant in the hotel and a sports bar as well. The pool was small but if you have kids they would love it. We had trouble with the a/c in our room and the staff moved us immediatly without any problems. The price on the rooms is very affordable and well worth it. The tv's are of the old style, but that seemed the normal in that area. I would stay there again

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This place seemed like a nice, newer, clean hotel to stay at after traveling for the day. We went into the Denny's and we were actually quite impressed eating there, it was redone inside, the food was good, the service was great, so we had decided to stay at the hotel. The lobby was nice and modern and clean. The room we got was NOT what we were expecting, talk about being deceived, not to mention dissappointed. The strong smell of stale cigarettes trying to be covered up with an overpowering deoderizer smell was very unappealing. The rooms were outdated and could use some freshening up. I almost failed to mention the pest control traps that were clearly visible around all the vending machines, kind of made you wonder. The beds were extremely uncomfortable, it was almost like they were boxsprings stacked on top of each other and the airconditioning unit was quite loud. We will NOT be staying there again. The killer was the price, thinking we were going to be staying in a comfortable hotel, to only find out once we got to our room that it was any thing but. We stayed at a new hotel in PG the night before that was very clean and modern for less than what we paid to stay here. The sign outside the sandman said the best place to stay in town, but I strongly disagree, on our way back this way we decided to stay at the best western plus/tower Inn, and that is our preferred choice.

• Stayed: August 2012
SandmanQuesnel, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Quesnel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Not knowing the details of your reservation, I could be mistaken, but it doesn't sound like you were in one of our non-smoking rooms. From your comment, it seems that you arrived without a reservation on a busy August evening and that you were perhaps given a smoking room as there was nothing else available. Arriving in high-season on a night when we are very full would also reflect the non-discounted price you may have paid. The pest control traps by the vending machines are all empty and are part of a pro-active pest-management control system. This hotel does not have any pest issues and has a reputation for being extrememely clean. We find that the comfort of beds is a personal preference issue to each guest. We replace any older beds on a regular basis each year as we can identify the need. We would have gladly moved you to another available room if you had contacted the Front Desk with your concerns. I would be happy to discuss any of your concerns with you if you would like to contact me directly.