“You get what you pay for, sometimes a bit more”
Review of Motel Bavaria

Motel Bavaria
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Radium Hot Springs
Nanaimo, Canada
“You get what you pay for, sometimes a bit more”
Reviewed July 31, 2006

I stayed at this motel just for 1 night in july 2006. At $69 CAD per night in the peak season, I wasn't expecting the Ritz. When I arrived the place looked pretty clean, and the front desk lady seemed bored, but became somewhat friendly after I prodded her with questions.

After entering my room we discovered it to be QUITE hot and stuffy. The area was experiencing a heat wave, thought, so I closed the windows and turned on the AC. After a nap, the AC's fan was running, but there was no cold air coming from it at all. Aside from that, the room was decent for $69, and they had some nice touches like a BBQ area for guests and a patio to lounge on. Not too bad I thought.

As I left for groceries, I talked to the lady at the front about my AC. She seemed to care, and agreed to move me rooms at my suggestion (if the AC wasn`t working when I returned from the store). When I did return, the room was hotter than it was outside, and smelled of a sweaty sports team. Ewww... But, it was probably just a broken air conditioner.

So I moved rooms without hassle, into a nice one downstairs (BTW the rooms on the bottom floor do not have AC, but they are cooler).

Everything went ok, except I found what looked to be a nose goblin on the room fan. No worse than my bachelors pad in college, I suppose.

The kicker was, as I packed my luggage into the car in the morning, the same front desk lady was doing the housekeeping and noticed me outside. She leaned over the balcony and shouted "Ya know, it wasn`t broken! It was just that the sun was shining on it in the back of the hotel. It was normal! Noone else ever complained about that room."

Ok... well from my experience (worked in 4 different, 3-5 star hotels), an air conditioner should at least work a LITTLE bit, even in the heat. But, I just stared at her and bit my tongue, thanked her and wished her a great day.

They should state on their front sign that the room rate includes: "The sometimes brazen critisicm of your comfort level".
However, this is just my interpretation of the situation, and the staff are probably working hard, underpaid, and local. No direct insult intended.

After all... this was just a motel, and I only paid $69. I don't think I will stay there again, though.

I hope that helped a bit.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The AC
  • Tips/Secrets — Read Tripadvisor reviews before booking....
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank Westcoast-KonaRider

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
england
Reviewed June 27, 2006

We stayed at the Bavarian Motel on our recent visit to Radium Hot Springs. A very busy road runs through the area where the motel is situated but the owners have cleverly planted large conifers around the perimeter of the motel and parking areas to eliminate road noise and create a peaceful haven for the traveller. We knew we had made a wise choice when the owner took us to our room and we found not only an immaculate room, beautifully colour coordinated but a fabulous comfy chesterfield! The bathroom was lovely and little caring touches were everywhere - especially the china coffee mugs instead of those awful paper cups. We had an upstairs room and there was chairs outside our room to sit and enjoy the evening sun. The veranda was full of flowers which really created a truly relaxing atmosphere. We gathered the owners had only recently taken over and I think they will certainly be most successful if they keep up this standard.

8 Thank butty