“A wonderful surprise!”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Edmonton, Alberta
“A wonderful surprise!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were recently treated to dinner, by friends, at Helna's and to be honest, we probably wouldn't have gone otherwise. It's a small place, kind of "folksy" decor, and I'm not normally a big fan of German food. But what a LOVELY surprise! The service was beyond wonderful, with an amazing server that made great wine and food recommendations, then decanted our bottle and took care of us right from the homemade rolls (hot, hot, hot out of the oven!) to the end of the meal. The mushroom schnitzel with homemade spaetzle was to die for! (Two of us had it), and my husband raved about the rich broth on the french onion soup. One of our party had escargot and said it was excellent and someone else had the tradition weiner schnitzel and says he always comes back for it. (Tender, buttery - unbelievable!). To me, it was like having a gourmet meal, with awesome 5-star service, in an unexpected, homey environment. All at a great price! A very generous portion of meat, spaetzle and delicious veggies was about $22. And the specials (which included salad, main, and dessert) were an even better value. We are DEFINITELY going back! So glad we tried it! Oh, and it's definitely not "stuffy" - we felt very comfortable in really casual clothes. A real gem in this tiny town!

• Visited July 2013

“Bad service, bland way overpriced food and not worth it.”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I ate on July 13 2013
The service was horrible.
We arrived at 7:3 with three small children. The kids were all very very good as we are pretty strict about what's ok behaviour etc.
When we arrived the older woman I assume the owner pushed us outside to the patio rather than seat us near any other guests.

We were dressed nicely not black tie but much better than many of the other guests. The waitress was very abrupt and made it clear through her behaviour that children are not welcome.

Why have high chairs then?
And what does it matter if they behave and I buy them full meals ?
(There are no children's options by the way and milk is $3.00)

We ordered a beer for my husband a ceasar for myself and a chocolate milk for my boys to split.
The waitress also made a face when I said it was for them to split.

We were made feel very unwelcome the entire meal (which was terrible and bland and not at all worth the cost) and when we
were getting ready to go my husband got up to find the waitress since she never came back to ask how the food was etc,
And she ran at the door to stop my husband. She actually was going to grab at him.
She thought we would eat and run!
I have never in my life been treated so poorly.
I don't know what the issue is but I will never return.

And FYI my meal was $90
Which perhaps some ov you are thinking for a high end place that's ok to exclude family's but I go to the keg and moose factory and earls etc which have similar price points, (maybe even less)
and I get a fantastic meal.
And great service.

I am dissapointed.
I was also there 6 years ago when my husband and I were married and the service was terrible without children.
I assumed it was a fluke.
I see now it is not.

I wish I had known as now its too late to take kids else where and I wasted $90.

And the waitress thought we were going to eat and run! I have a family business with my husband and we would never treat any customer badly because its the customer that is important.

Some customers you appreciate more or have a history with but all are valued.

Poor food. Way over priced, terrible service!

Oh and it even says on the menu that the food takes a long time as it is home cooked.
Maybe as in I could have driven home and cooked it in less time.

Gull Lake Sask
“Great Food”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Very small restaurant but very friendly staff. Unique dishes that taste scrumptious. Very pricey so not a everyday place to eat. doesnt open til 5.

Visited July 2013
Calgary, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Radium's best dining”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We come to Radium several times a year for weekends or a week off. Helna's Stube is on of the reasons we keep coming back here. The staff remember our names and menu preferences from visit to visit and I notice they do that with other customers too. The chef is amazing - very talented and makes everything himself. Even the biscuits served with the cappuccino taste homemade.
The atmosphere is warm and welcoming and the service is very professionally done but without stiffness or being pretentious. My partner has the Wiener schnitzel, which re raves about every time and I had the Beef Roulade, served with red cabbage and spaetzle. I have found roulade quite heavy in other restaurants but not here. The spaetzle is done with more flavour than one usually finds and the red cabbage is excellent. The portion sizes are perfect; leaving room for a bit of dessert!
On other occasions I have had the trout. Rather than pan fried, I asked for the trout to be baked as I was dieting and they provided me with a great, tasty meal. The chef was very accommodating.
Parking is easy, reservations should be made, even during the week during the summer.

Calgary, Canada
“Great food, great view!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We sat on the patio with a fantastic view of the mountains... Lovely. Service was a bit slow, but we weren't in hurry anyway.

Excellent food - we had the special!

• Visited June 2013