“Pretty Good Place”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Rimouski
Montreal, Canada
“Pretty Good Place”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed here twice on our trip. The hotel is quite nice, somewhat like a Super 8 that has been super-sized. Wifi is free, and reception is good in the room. Lots of parking outside. Location is quite good: across the street from the boardwalk, and right off of the highway. Breakfast was Ok (I had the smoked salmon), but I should have stuck with plain 'ol bacon and eggs. I would like to give it 3.5 points, so I could go either 3 or 4 on this one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Indiana
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A commercial hotel with easy access and free parking. Not many rooms overlook the river. Acceptable and utilitarian. Clean. The no smoking room we had must have been a smoker at one time because stale smoke smell was detectable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Hyacinthe
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We booked a suite to get a view of the water. It was beautiful and clean, although there still was a lingering perfume of smoke (rugs in use-to-be smoking room should really be cleaned thoroughly). Once we unplugged the noisy airconditioning and opened a window, things got even better. The street is really quiet at night. We wanted this hotel for the interior swimming pool, so after diner, we decided to go for a swim. Bad idea. Too many kids to be able to enjoy it. The kids however were having a grand time! We gave it another try in the morning and it was perfect. I do recommend the hotel, especially if you have kids, but be sure to have proper footweat around the pool and in the changing rooms. At the end of the day, the area is not cleaned regularly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Varese, Italy
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I reached the hotel at 5 pm with my wife after a long travel. We got our room and we've been informed that the restaurant was fully booked. Our oom was pretty standard, bathroom was dirty and overall cleaning of the room was bad. There is not any safe box. The reception smells of food, steak when we arrived and fried eggs in the morning. I'll never be back there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelRimouski, Guest relations manager at Hotel Rimouski, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for voicing your opinion regarding your stay at the Hotel Rimouski. Your comments are very valuable to us and will allow us to improve every aspect of the establishment. We are truly sorry that your stay didn't live up to your expectations.
In addition to our 104 standard rooms, our hotel offers 52 comfortable suites, in which you can enjoy a king bed and a hideaway bed in a separate living room. Five of those feature a spacious bathroom with a therapeutic bath and a multi-jet shower. Also, many of our suites offer the possibility to enjoy the magnificient view of the St-Lawrence's river. Furthermore, a safety box service is available at the front desk, at anytime and free of charge. Once again, thank you for comments.
Bristol, Vermont
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stayed in a Deluxe King Suite for four nights/five days and was totally satisfied. Hotel is nondescript on the outside, but offers everything one might need. Decent workout room and business center, free WiFi, indoor pool (Get there EARLY in the morn before the kids take over), nice bar and restaurant (even great homemade pizzas) and room service. Staff very friendly and responsive, and room had great views of water. Hotel is across the street from a boardwalk promenade, with miles of formal biking and running paths in both directions. Great base for day trips to much of Gaspe Peninsula except the farthest end(Perce), and close to Bic National Park to the west. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: Spend the small money differential for the suites, they have better views. .
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chuck R
HotelRimouski, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Rimouski, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us your experience at Hotel Rimouski but especially with our future customers. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the quality of our services and that you had a great time exploring Rimouski's surrondings.
Hopefully, we will see you again very soon!
Newcastle, Canada
Reviewed June 27, 2012

With the CAA rate we paid and the 11 dollar/person buffet breakfast, this hotel is reasonably comparable to any Hampton Inn we have stayed at in the past two years and it will be a stopping off point, the next time we decide to split our drive to the Maritimes in 2!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Are J
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I was recently here for a conference. Considering the hotel is also the Congress Centre, it was obviously the most convenient place to stay.

I arrived via the Mont Joli airport. Luckily, I was travelling with a colleague and the hotel advised her to pre-book a taxi. Taxis seem to be really scarce at the airport and need to be booked in advance. On the meter, the taxi ride to the hotel should be around $60. I should mention that when I called the hotel to make my booking, they did not mention any of this to me.

Arriving at the hotel, check-in was pleasant enough. Service, overall, was mixed. Depending on who was at the front desk, I often got the feeling that my requests were "bothering" them. I asked a couple of my colleagues if they had the same feeling and all of them agreed.

The room itself is pretty old but the hotel does try to keep it somewhat current. The beds are decent enough but the furniture is really old. The closet seemed to be an afterthought as you could tell it was "built" later on. But, the construction seemed to be a rush job and wasn't very impressive.

There really is no counter space in the bathroom (being so tiny) so there was a small nook by the entrance where there was a mirror and a hairdryer. Interestingly enough, my soap and shampoo was never replaced. I'm not saying I need a new bar of soap everyday, but every other hotel I've been in has given a new bar of soap/shampoo if they see it's in use. By the end of my stay, my soap was about 1-2 mm thick and disintegrating. Cost cutting? Maybe, but it's really inconvenient to guests.

There was no wired internet and only unsecured wireless. I'm just really surprised by the unsecured as it's often a security risk. I know it's a small town and don't expect blazing speeds. However, at the end of the day when all the other delegates are back to their rooms, the internet was moving at a crawl. It became unusable.

I did go to their restaurant every day for breakfast. To save time, I always just took the buffet. The restaurant did try to change some of the hot items most days and service was good. The price was also decent. Food during conference was hit and miss. But, I know that's hard as they have to cater to hundreds of people.

The best part about Rimouski is the view and some of its restaurants. For restos, I highly recommend Bistro L'Ardoise as they make excellent French food. Creperie Chignon was also very good. Stay away from Union Pacific as they overcooked my and my colleague's food. Also stay away from Maison du Spaghetti. The Maison was a recommendation from the front desk clerk and I went due to the history of the building. However, the food was really sub-par and the pasta was overcooked.

Overall, I do remember where I am and the Hotel Rimouski is decent enough. Just know the limitations.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business