“Place to see”

Site historique maritime de la Pointe-au-Pere
Ranked #2 of 25 things to do in Rimouski
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A tourist attraction unique in Canada: a tour of the Onondaga submarine! Board the submarine and find out about the daily lives of the 60 men who lived for months at a time in this 90-m (300-ft.) submarine. Examine the complex mechanics of the submarine and the technology used for underwater detection. The 45-minute audio-guide commentary simulates going out to sea off Rimouski and will plunge you into this fascinating and little-known world. In addition, you can spend a night aboard the Onondaga. You will be welcomed by the coxswain and will play the role of an apprentice submariner for the duration of a fun-filled night!The Empress of Ireland Museum presents the history of the Empress of Ireland passenger ship, from its construction in 1906 to its tragic sinking on May 29, 1914, which killed 1012 people. Visit the historic site and learn all there is to know about this magnificent ship. Discover a large collection of objects from the wreck, period photos, interactive terminals and eyewitness accounts. The Pointe-au-Père Lighthouse played a central role in the history of navigation on the St. Lawrence River. Built in 1909, this lighthouse is one of the tallest in Canada and one of the few to still have its prism. A guided tour will take you to the top, where you can admire the fabulous view.The lighthouse keeper’s house is home to several exhibits that explain the role of Pointe-au-Père in Canadian maritime history. On the second floor, learn about the many divers who have explored the wreck since 1914.The foghorn shed presents the evolution of aural aids to navigation, which replaced the light from the lighthouse when weather conditions made it impossible for mariners to see.
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were very surprised at this place. The submarine visit is worth it and you learn a lot on the life of the worker on a submarine. You have an audio-guide. It is not cheap but it is a good value. The museum is okay and I learned a lot about the Empress of Ireland but there is a lot of reading to do. However, the multimedia show is the best we have seen in years in museum.

1  Thank Osiane

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Took the tour of the Onondaga with my husband, who had served on it 30 years ago. I had never been on a sub before...........very enlightening & interesting. Amazingly tight quarters, to think that 65 men managed to work in it for weeks at a time. Heard all this before but to experiece it was eye-opening. Definetely worth a visit!

2  Thank LaDarnetal
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This site has three parts: the Empress of Ireland museum, the Onondaga submarine, and the lighthouse. You pay according to which attractions you would like to visit.

My family and I visited the submarine and the lighthouse. The submarine has guided audio tours in French or English, and they give a lot of information in a humorous way. It was amazing to see how the mariners lived. You really got a sense of how it must have been to live in such cramped quarters. Every inch of space was used. I am usually fairly claustrophobic, and I wasn't sure if I could do the tour, but it was no problem. It is well lit and people were not rushing or pushing at all.

The lighthouse was spectacular. It is very tall, and had a circular staircase and two ladders at the end. It was a little challenging because heights are not my strong suit, but I was able to take my time and move at my own pace, both going up and coming down. All tours of the lighthouse are guided. A second staff member stays outside the lighthouse so that nobody can enter until the previous tour has come down. That made it very easy for me to take the time I needed, especially going down! The view from the top was well worth the climb.

2  Thank Sandy F
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We only went to the submarine portion of this site, but loved it! It comes with an audio tour available in either French or English. The premise of the tour is that a submariner is giving a tour of it to his nephew who is considering becoming a submariner himself. We found it entertaining and not dry at all. It was fascinating to see all the parts of the submarine, but particularly to get a sense of what kinds of conditions men live in down there. Highly recommended!

I think that if you are an extremely claustrophobic person, this might not be a good choice for you. It's quite narrow inside despite how big it looks. I'm slightly claustrophobic and I was okay, but kept thinking that somebody who had a more severe case might not do well. The other thing is that they don't mention that you have to crawl through three round portals between sections of the submarine. I was surprised to encounter the first one because my knees aren't great. I was able to do it okay with my partner helping me, and I didn't see anyone else having trouble. But if you have severe mobility issues it might be a problem. Also, use the washroom before you go on board -- the tour is about 45 minutes and it would be difficult to get back out through all the people behind you.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Visited the Empress of Ireland sunken ship museum, and walked through the Onondaga submarine . Saw the 20 minute film in English on the ship's tragic end, with its special effects and felt it was highly informative about the loss of life of over 1000 souls. Museum has great artifacts and guides to answer any questions. Don't miss the house across the street (part of the museum), which has a second floor with videos of the actual dive site, which is not far out in the St. Lawrence Bay.. Fascinating accounts of the tragedy and recovery of its treasures.... Part Two, the submarine, is great if you have not been in one before, but be prepared for an hour video headphone tour filled with head-ducking, close quarters and the unmistakeable odor within a sub. Lighthouse (part 3) was not on my agenda based upon time constraints.

2  Thank Chuck R