“Best Restaurant for Miles Around”
Review of Markus' Bistro & Dinner Club - CLOSED

Markus' Bistro & Dinner Club
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Markus' Restaurant is in a small bungalow not far from the water in Sooke. There are some nice views but the setting is not what makes this restaurant special. The service is excellent and the food, much of it locally sourced, is outstanding. The menu is primarily sea food prepared expertly and Markus has a very good wine list to back it up. Probably not the best place for children, but the perfect spot for couples or friends to get together for a really nice, relaxed dinner together. If I find myself back in Sooke, I will definitely go back to Markus'.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

After reading all the reviews I was expecting a superior dining experience. While I would rate it as very good, I am unable to rate it as excellent.

We had called in advance and made a reservation. Upon arrival we were promptly seated in a room with only four tables and a wonderful view of the water. After being left with the menus, I was uncomfortable with the number of times that the overly eager but pleasant server kept returning to the table to see if we were ready to order yet. I would have preferred a little more time and space in order to made a determination on what I was going to have.

To start the meal off, I ordered the grilled romaine salad and my dinner companion ordered the scallops. The romaine was grilled perfectly and the scallops were tasty.

For the main course we ordered the Scallops and Tuscan Soup respectively. The scallops were cooked just right but were served barely warm which was in sharp contrast to the accompanying roasted potatoes and seasonal vegetables which were served very warm. The Tuscan Soup was very flavorful with prawns, scallops, halibut, mussels and clams.

For dessert we shared the Trio of Desserts (Sampler size of Tiramisu, Panna cotta, and Mousse) and each were incredible and beautifully presented.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
Reviewed June 5, 2012

food was great and ambiance was very nice but not too upscale

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Outstanding food and the best service of any restaurant we have enjoyed.An occasional change in the menu would be a plus.It is an Island must.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

The restaurant we were hoping to go to was closed and they recommended Markus'.
There was warm and friendly atmosphere and great service. Excellent food and presentations.
Owners had a sincere desire to deliver an outstanding dining experience.