“Oh the treats you'll eat”

Little Vienna Bakery Cafe & Marketplace
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Sooke
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: A meeting place, cafe, bistro, and so much more. Little Vienna Bakery is owned and operated by Susan & Michael Nyikes. Their vision has been to create an authentically European bakery in Sooke that provides artisan breads, pastries and cakes using only the very best ingredients and old-world techniques. Having established a strong reputation for fresh, all-natural products and a loyal following of customers over the past 10 years, the Nyikes’ draw upon their own European backgrounds and travels throughout the world to continue the evolution of Little Vienna Bakery. Having professionally trained and dedicated staff members in place, maintaining a very high level of quality ingredients and baking techniques, and providing consistent quality products has continued the success of the business. Little Vienna Bakery offers beautiful hand-formed artisan breads, buns and baguettes, as well as lovingly prepared decadent pastries, pies and cakes…..and yes, everything is made “fresh-from-scratch” using only the finest ingredients; the majority of which are locally sourced and organic.More than just baked goods, the bakery also offers a unique selection of fine cheeses, market & deli items, an expansive breakfast & lunch menu, specialty coffees & teas.It’s important to note that the bakery also caters to those with special dietary needs and also produce vegetarian, gluten, dairy, sodium and sugar free items. Susan & Michael have completely renovated the interior of Little Vienna Bakery to be authentically European; complete with new full-length Baroque-style mirrors, gold chandeliers, ornate crown mouldings, period-correct furniture, and a collection of hand-painted Austrian murals by world-renowned French artist Philippe Metaireau who was specially commissioned for the bakery. To help bring the inside ambiance to the outdoors, the owners have also developed a stunning 600 square foot paving-stone courtyard complete with a beautifully ornate 3 tiered Italianate fountain, all set within the expansive raised flower gardens on the bakery grounds. Whether it’s crepes for breakfast with a loved one, lunch with a group of friends, or a coffee and dessert with a good book, everyone is welcome to enjoy the beautiful spaces that have been created at Little Vienna Bakery. Please come by and have an incredible experience where all your senses will be stimulated!
Lethbridge, Canada
“Oh the treats you'll eat”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Quaint little bakery in Sooke, we stopped by to pick up a snack for later & left with much more. Lemon pound cakes were moist, heavy & oh so lemony!

Visited September 2012
littleviennabakery, Owner at Little Vienna Bakery Cafe & Marketplace, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
As a former Albertan myself, it's always great to hear from people that come from there to visit us. We have such a talented group of staff at Little Vienna Bakery and I am so pleased that you enjoyed the lemony treats (and other goodies) we offer. Hope you drop by again on your next trip to beautiful Vancouver Island.

Fort McMurray, Canada
“Bread Heaven”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Oustanding selection of breads, GF items, excellent lunches. This bakery makes the bread for Markus restaurant anonther place that you have to eat at.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Ross M
Our bread baker says thanks for your positive review!
Born, raised and professionally trained as an artisan bread baker in Bavaria, he has over 15 years experience creating beautiful and delicious artisan breads that we are fortunate enough to wholesale to a select number of amazing eating establishments in the region such as Markus' Wharfside Restaurant.
Thank you and we look forward to your next visit!
“Dairy or not?”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I'm a regular at all the eateries in the Victoria area and living in Sooke I quite often pop into Vienna for anything from a quick coffee or a full lunch either by myself or all my family. Having recently been told that I was nut, dairy and gluten intolerant I am new to checking before I purchase and consume. Imagine my surprise though when I was informed by a member of staff at this establishment that butter is NOT dairy. Yes apparently all my life I've been wrong only milk is in fact dairy and I'm perfectly safe to consume as much butter as I like. I can see a lawsuit galloping over the horizon unless that little lady is very quickly taught food safety.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Tattmom
As a business owner keen on staff development and who is constantly providing training and feedback to my employees, I sincerely appreciate your comments and in the future would also graciously accept them in person.
I took your information and at a subsequent staff meeting reviewed which of our products contain dairy products such as butter so that customers needs and questions can be more accurately addressed in the future. Thank you for helping us become an even better business!
Miami, Florida
“Great service--average baked goods”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stopped in here for a sweet treat after lunch and were kind of disappointed. Not too much selection and what we did have was just average. The girl behind the counter was very nice and helpful though and tried to make our experience a good one. I would give it a second try to see if things were different. People did seem to like the sandwiches they were eating.

Visited August 2012
Hello and thanks for your review.
The vast majority of our baked goods (breads, cakes, pies, desserts, etc) are created fresh-from-scratch in the very early morning hours before opening, and so each morning we have a steady flow of customers who will purchase most of our baked products which does indeed leave less of a selection by mid to late afternoon.
We do hope to see you again (and probably earlier in the day) the next time you visit Sooke.
Texas
“Good!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Pastries are wonderful. Tried four different items and each one was very good. Highly recommend. Stopped first in the afternoon but selection was limited. Returned the next morning and were overwhelmed with choices. Eat in or take out.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank TexasCrapsman
Selection is often more limited at our bakery in the afternoons, as most customers come by to make their purchases in the mornings knowing that we make everything fresh-from-scratch the evening before we open.
I am glad you did return earlier the next day though and took advantage of all our delicious options.
Hope to see you again on your next visit up from Texas!