“The view was exquisite but the service was appalling . . .”

Sooke Harbour House
Reserve with OpenTable
Sooke Harbour House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 50 Restaurants in Sooke
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edmonton, Canada
“The view was exquisite but the service was appalling . . .”
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We've dined at Sooke Harbour House in more than one occasion, the first being 10 years ago when the food was outstanding and the service wonderful (knew their food and wines, provded the right amount of attention). So we were really looking forward to a repeat experience this past June on another west coast vacation.

What a disappointment !!!! The food was very ordinary and the set menus uninspiring with really limited choice. But that wasn't the worst part!! We have never experienced such uninformed and often rude wait staff - ever - in a fine dining setting such as this promises in advertising!!!
Uninformed? - they couldn't tell us anything about the food we were ordering ("well, it's whatever is there on the menu"), or about the wines ("I don't know"). Unbelievable!!!
Rude? - yes they were hurrying us out at 9 p.m. - who would've thought that a fine dining establishment closes at 9 p.m. in summer???

Don't bother with Sooke Harbour House for the dining experience. There are other restaurants in the Victoria area that will give you tastier food and much better service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Disappointing dinner; obnoxious drunken wedding party”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I was very excited to go the this restaurant, based on the reviews and a television piece I had seen on it around the time of the Olympics. My husband and I drove over from Victoria, arriving around 8:00. True, it is in a beautiful setting. The meal was a fixed price for $75.00. The food was ordinary. The service was very nice. But what made it a horrible experience was the presence of about a 12-15 person wedding party that had obviously started drinking much earlier in the day. The dining room is small and the ceilings low. Needless to say, the experience was awful. We had our desserts packaged up and took them back to our hotel. Overall, a very disappointing experience. Not worth the money or the trip to Sooke.

Ottawa, Canada
“Finest dining around”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We've been meaning to try this restaurant out for a long time. We live in Paris (but I'm from Victoria BC) and have had the chance to experience good French restaurants on a regular basis. So, we were keen on seeing how the Sooke Harbour House compared. Our conclusion: Very well! The cuisine was imaginative, with plenty of thought given to the sauces, the pairings of flavours excellent, the restaurant is very casual (unusual in similarly rated French restaurants) and cozy. The casual nature was a nice complement to the setting - and reflects Canadian culture. It was nice to note that the intent is not to duplicate a European restaurant experience, but rather to develop a home grown one.

The very extensive wine list is impressive, but perhaps overdone. Wine prices were a bit alarming to us - we were hard pressed to find bottles under $100. 90% of wines offered are from British Columbia - though it's commendable to support local producers, one could argue that California wines are just about as local as those from British Columbia - so we are talking more about political boundaries here. We would have appreciated a more diverse (and yes, modestly priced) selection of wines.

Service is very good - one doesn't feel rushed. This is a "slow flood" restaurant. The staff was very congenial (perhaps too much? some where engaged in extensive conversations with patrons about the cooking, recipes etc... at a neighbouring table - which was a bit of a distraction to us). Staff was also very knowledgeable and professional.

Vancouver
“better than almost everywhere”
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I recently ate at Sooke HArbour House with friends and we had a wonderfull dinner. The food was excellent, very well presented, inventive without being too cute or weird. The portions were just right. (none of those overloaded plates that some cultures desire, which turn the entire country into a nation of obesity). Just good sized portions so with 4 courses I was more full than I needed to be. But I didn't have to eat all my dessert now did I? but I couldn't help it.
The room was lovely with a fire on a slightly cool summer night. you could smell the smoke a little, and through the window, see the fishing boats going home.
I felt it was very good value for money having eaten in major cities where an overcooked hamburger and limp salad cost almost as much. Everything was described and was sourced from local producers so we knew we were getting clean fresh ingredients and no processed foods or meat imported from far away. ( I recently ate in a restaurant in Montreal where they seemed proud of the fact that they imported their beef from Colorado. ??)
In every way it was the best dining experience I have had the V ictoria area in a couple of years!

connecticut
“The food and the view are outstanding”
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We had heard that this was one of the best restaurants on all of Vancouver Island. We weren't disappointed. The food and the views were outstanding. It was a bit expensive, but I felt we were also paying for the view. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Victoria or Vancouver Island. You must have a car as it is very off the beaten path, but it is well worth the drive getting there.