“The Grand Dame May be Fading”

Sooke Harbour House
Reserve with OpenTable
Sooke Harbour House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 51 Restaurants in Sooke
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The day we arrived in Sooke we made a beeline to the restaurant for reservations. We were told it would be very busy and we would have to sit at a table in the middle of the restaurant. That was fine with us. As it turned out the restaurant was not that busy when we arrived at our appointed time and we had the best seat in the house overlooking the water.

The menus arrived and were frayed at the corners and the daily sheet was folded and soiled looking. Not a great first impression.
But we understand that the place is up for sale. Perhaps that is having an impact?
The staff were very pleasant....but the service slow. On the bright side the server recognized how slow our meal was in coming to us and didn't charge for the two glasses of wine we ordered. The food was as delicious as our last visit several years ago.

1  Thank Intheknow2

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is the first time I have ever walked out of a restaurant. We had 7:15 reservations. We stood at the door for at least 5 minutes without recognition. Finally sat, we waited and were asked about water. Water brought, we waited again. A man finally approached our table and stood there, making me very uncomfortable. He pointed out the menu features but never asked for a cocktail, wine or beverage order. I was done. We left. I need to qualify this review by stating that I have been in the restaurant business for 40 years and have worked in likes of Windows on the World as a captain.

2  Thank Wendy H
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was a return trip to celebrate a milestone birthday.

We had one of the best tables with a view to the south and the Olympic Mts.

We had halibut, a wonderful salad and their "wine pairing for 3 course dinner".

The wines were very special and a close runner up to the food and service which was 10/10.

We will return soon and will recommend to all of our friends and relatives.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I ate in the restaurant for my birthday dinner. The service was horrible and we were often left with dirty plates for over 15 min. My husband ate 1/2 a slug from his salad and when he told the waiter he brushed it off saying at least you know it's fresh. He only gave us a couple extra glasses of wine for it, and never noticed that my husband hardly ate anything after that cause he was so put off.
The view was great and the garden was gorgeous, but we will never be going there again and never recommending it to anyone. I can't believe the overcharge for such terrible bland food and crappy service. Visit the grounds one day but never eat there and from what I've read from other bad reviews I would never stay there either.
Very disappointed birthday girl!!!

1  Thank Olivia Q
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I had a very nice, romantic dinner here recently. We both agree that the food and the ambience was fantastic. Our waiter was very good, and we were seated at the window with gorgeous views of the water and the gardens. The only thing that we didn't like was the fact that we went there on Thursday night which is their Seafood feast night. It says on the menu that it's $49 and you are presented with a menu of which you get to choose an appetizer, a main and a dessert. When we received the bill our meals were $75 each instead of $49. We asked the waiter and he said that the $49 was for the seafood platter which was never once mentioned to us. If we had been presented with choices then we could have decided whether to order the platter or not, but it was not once mentioned. I am still very happy with our meal, but feel slightly deceived on the pricing. Why not just tell people what the prices are up front and let them decide? I'm still not convinced that we weren't overcharged. If you do go on a Thursday night, be aware of what the costs really are.