“Great location”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Good food and beautiful view of the Olympic mountains. Slow service, but view of small bay made up for it.

Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Visited on a Sunday lunch time with family. Get a window table to admire the lovely view of the small natural harbour. The menu offers some traditional options and also some interesting alternatives and twists, which is good to see. The food arrived promptly and tasted great, the prices are fair. Worth dropping in for food if your in the area.

1  Thank Wjperkins
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Had a great night at the Stickleback...wing night on a Thursday is always good. Service was great as always.

1  Thank Subsea_Inspector
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stickleback was recommended by a friend of a friend, so since we had some other business in Sooke, we though it was worth a try.
The setting is very pretty, on a little cove with a dock and an outdoor adventure school (the students were bustling around and provided some entertainment beyond the view), the room is OK, but a little spartan, with rather jarring lime green chairs. The overall effect is contemporary rather than comfortable.
My friend had a Chicken Burger and I asked the kitchen to make up the "Hungry Logger" burger without the bun. I also had the yam fries. The burger plate was very well presented and the fries were really nice. Often if you ask for a bun-less burger the kitchen just slaps the ingredients on the plate. Here an effort was made to give me a tasty meal. My friend enjoyed the chicken, as well.
The service was friendly and attentive. There were two staff on the front and about 10 guests on a February afternoon, so not a big test of serving skill.
Lunch was under $40.00. Will I go back? Yes, absolutely!

1  Thank Michael P
Reviewed February 7, 2014

There's not too much to the pretty little community of Saseenos, but The Stickleback would glow even in a busy downtown core. The setting is beautiful, right in the mouth of Cooper's Cove off of Sooke Road, and I can hardly wait for the weather to warm so I can spend an entire day on their waterfront patio running down their appy menu with a few cold pints. I've been here a handful of times now and am trying to explore their entire menu. Everything I select is mouth watering and perfectly presented, and you can tell there's someone back there in the kitchen who really takes his work seriously. I make a point now of bringing all my out of town visitors here for a visit, and it's always something we end up talking about hours later back at the house.

No matter how many delicious entrées I try there though, I always find myself longing for my two favourite appetizers... The Ocean Bites prawns drizzled with a sweet chili 5 spice and a cup of their own "Insanity Sauce" for dipping, and their house made traditional bannock covered in melted cheese. Oh man I'm craving them again.