“Good waterside restaurant for lunch”

Stickleback West Coast Eatery
Ranked #11 of 50 Restaurants in Sooke
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Good waterside restaurant for lunch”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Went here with my wife for lunch on a rainy cold Monday. Outside patio was closed, but plenty of tables inside. I had noodle bowl and wife had panini. Both were fine, if not spectacular. Service was friendly and delivery prompt. Would come here again when it is sunny.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank BrianML

Victoria, Canada
“Food was okay, would come back for the patio”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We ate here in May 2013. The weather wasn't cooperating so the patio was closed, but we would definitely go back just for the patio. Looked like a great space, practically the same size as the inside, and overlooks a little cove. Inside was a good casual place, dinner was reasonably priced - two entrees, 1/2 litre of wine, 2 desserts, coffees and a beer was $75 before tax and tip. My husband had the ribs, which were not slow cooked in the sauce, so not as good as other places that actually cook them in the sauce. I had fish and chips, which was good - generous portion of fries, but not enough coleslaw. Dessert was delicious (waffle bread pudding)! Service was a little off, the server would often act like she heard us, but clearly didn't. Overall, it was average - I would eat there again (especially in patio season!), but not on my "must go back there" list.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank llewysknot12
Houston, Texas
“Loved this place”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I wanted to try Stickleback when we noticed its patio on the cove. As noted by others, it overlooks the bay and has a nice view of the distant Olympic range. On a five-day trip to the Sooke area, we ended up eating at Stickleback twice. The food, though priced a little high, was excellent. Everything we had was well-presented and tasty. The Galloping Goose Trail Burger includes sauteed mushrooms, bacon, and cheddar. The baby-back ribs (with honey garlic) were tender and delicious. The fish and chips were solid. Perhaps the best dish of our trip was the Pesto Prawn Pasta (it seemed to be the house favorite) . . . such a great taste with prawns in a white wine pesto sauce.

One caveat I'll mention . . . as other reviewers have noted, the food doesn't come quickly to your table. Both times, our servers were attentive, so I had to believe that the slowness came from the kitchen. After our first visit we learned our lesson. So on our second trip, we ordered an appetizer, which came out in a timely manner. By the time we finished the appetizer (tasty Tsunami Fries), our entrees were served. When you visit, take your time. Chill on the patio for a bit. Enjoy the view. Take a few deep breaths. It's easy to do in this beautiful setting.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank jtw58
Port Orchard, Washington
“Excellent dining”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This restaurant is located in a cove with an outdoor patio overlooking the water. The setting is superb with the snow-capped Olympics in the distance. The food is excellent with a nice variety of fresh salads and fish. We highly recommend this place as a top dining experience.

Visited May 2013
Victoria, Canada
“Love the spicy noodle bowl!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great location, good food. I have been here a few times with 3 other people and everyone seems happy with their meals. My Dad likes the burgers, my Mom usually goes for seafood, and I like a bit of spice. They have a new menu, we will try on Mother's Day. It's the best Sooke has right now, even though it's before Sooke. Watch the double yellow solid line, you are not supposed to turn left there. Go further up and turn around to enter as it's on the left side of the road after a corner, somewhat of a traffic hazard. Watch for the veterinary clinic, turn around at that street and no problems. Worth the drive and great for a sunny day on their patio. I have had a tough time getting called back when trying to arrange reservations so just go. I have not had to wait for a table.

• Visited December 2012