“A romantic reverie”

Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sooke
Reviewed November 7, 2005

We stayed for two nights, The meals were delicious and fascinating in part because of their dedication to using superb local ingredients. The service was careful, gracious and good humored. Perhaps in light of a couple of recent reviews I should simply say it was all flawless. Sooke Harbour House has a beauty and spirit about it that I can only describe as restorative and I hope to enjoy it again.

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank RoseMarie04

Reviewed October 2, 2005

I agree with the London visitor to Sook Harbour House dining. This place was less than average in quality of food and service and above average in $.

We went there to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. First of all, we had to wait for our table even though we had reservations. The propietor treated us as though we were children. We're in our 30s and although we look young, it was surprising that she had the attitude she had. Then, the food was just ok. For how expensive it is, it should be more than just ok. The service was mediocre. The wait staff (which included the propietor) were lacking in any warmth, energy, or desire to make this restaurant anything beyond 3 stars as far as service. Also, please pay attention to the fact that the menu is pre-fixed Sun-Thurs.

I hope this helps some of you who may be looking for a special dining experience. Find another restaurant!

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 2, 2005

We have just returned from an amazing 3 week holiday in BC and Alberta, the only disappointment on our trip was dinner at Sooke Harbour House but boy was it a big one! From the UK we read all the great publicity for Sooke Harbour House and foolishly fell for it.
Yes the room (Ravens Nest) was good although we did have to carry our own bags to it. Problems started when we arrived at dinner for our 8pm booking with our 3 kids (12,10 & 8). We were told that our table would not be ready "for some time" so, a bit annoyed, we took a stroll around the garden, 15 mins later our table was no nearer and other diners were being similarly treated. No account was taken of the children at all. Eventually after complaining loudly to the owner we finally sat down at 9pm. Clearly SHH try to squeeze in two sittings for dinner and it just doesn't work. For us by then the damage was done - the kids nearly fell asleep in their supper and retired to bed after we had eaten our starters - not exactly the family celebration we had in mind. We were finally done at 12.30am...

This was the most expensive and least enjoyable meal we have had in Canada or London ever. Of course we should have been alerted - before dinner I asked for 2 glasses of champagne to be delivered to our room - I was offered sparkling wine as the champagne is "rather expensive"! Should have wised up though because we were charged C$60 for 2 small glasses of REAL champagne!!

Prices and reputation for Sooke Harbour House just don't add up. Even our local C$20 (equiv) a head bistro can do better. Shame on the owners and to others BEWARE!

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank SuseEdwards
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed May 27, 2005

What a Sea-sational delight I experienced at the Sooke Harbour House. I entrusted them with my stay, and they far exceeded my expectations. They shared freely their expertise and passion for this natural paradise, helping expand my palate to the new delights of the regional cuisine and fabulous wines, and guiding me to the various hidden treasures Sooke has to offer.
I was deliciously surprised how expertly the Chefs transformed my magnificent view and aroma of the gardens, lush herbs, edible flowers, and the sea artfully onto my plate, merging nature’s beauty and elegance from outside to in. This is truly a romantic delight for your senses.
Just breath deeply, enjoy the extensive wine list, savor artfully prepared culinary creations, soak on your private terrace with the sounds of the gentle waves interrupted only by the crackling of the fire, and prepare to be pleasantly spoiled.
Thank you to everyone at Sooke Harbour House-you touch the earth lightly and it has rewarded you with unmatched beauty.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 14, 2005

I stayed at The Sooke Harbour House for a quiet retreat. The staff was very courteous and helpful. From the moment you step into the House you feel a sense of peace, serenity and warmth. The rooms are absolutely luxurious and full of wonderful amenities. I would relax in the tub before I went downstairs for the best meal I have ever had in the dining room. The service, food and ambiance was very romantic. I went to sleep and had the most beautiful dreams. Thank-You Sooke Harbour House, I will be back!

• Stayed: October 2004
4  Thank Trvls4fun
Victoria, BC
Reviewed May 12, 2005

This year my daughter and I had the pleasure of staying in the Chef's Study at the Sooke Harbour House. It was an awesome room with steam shower and jetted tub by the fireplace. The room also offered spa products and coffee service so we enjoyed a spa/tea-time themed visit and overnight stay. We soaked, steamed, and relaxed ourselves into a tranquil more peaceful state of being. Something our relationship cannot have enough of!!
Leaving the next day, we were both so refreshed and had lasting memories of our visit together. Savannah was so greatful and felt very lucky to be able to enjoy the beauty of the hotel and to spend quality time with her Mom.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 7, 2005

I have visited numerous small hotels and was delighted to find a little gem in Sooke: The Sooke Harbour House, small, ecclectic right on the ocean, with extensive gardens - unusual as they grow only edible plants for use in their kitchen! The food was among the best I have ever tasted, the flavors were so pure. The hotel has also 28 rooms, luxurious and all so different, there is Art everywhere you look, I think this is what make them so different from any other hotel, local artists are encouraged to display their art. It is a place where you find yourself rejuvenated, even if you don't have any of the Spa treatment they offer in the privacy of your room. I think everyone that works at the Sooke Harbour House is focused in taking care of your every desire! It is very good value for what you spend and right now they have special prices, you spend a day or two and you feel as if you spend a whole week in a luxurious place. Heaven on earth, possibly!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sooke
The Fairmont Empress
Fairfield
Abigail's Hotel
Abigail's Hotel
#1 of 46 in Victoria

Been to Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!