We were slightly hesitant about staying here after reading some of the reviews on this sight, but we decided to splurge anyway at the very high recommendation of some friends. And I'm glad we did.
To begin with, it really is in a beautiful location and our room, on the first floor, had a spectacular view of the harbor and the mountains in the distance. Located right next to a park with a spit jutting out into the harbor provides a great place for nice walk. And the deep jetted tubs on the deck overlooking the water was a great way to relax with the complimentary cookies and port provided in the room.
We did find some things about the room to be a slight problem. Whenever anyone near us used water, we could hear it.
We actually chose this hotel largely for the restaurant, and we were not disappointed. I've often heard it said that a meal that costs as much as one here should provide an epiphany. Well, this one did. Two of the four courses were true revelations, and the other two were delicious as well. The revelations were the mussels in a rich mushroom broth -- so good that it's unlikely I'll ever order mussels anyplace else -- and a green apple and rosemary sorbet. It was amazing. Back home we told the sorbet maker who comes to our local farmers market about it and encouraged him to try to make something similar. He seemed skeptical, but we told him that it was a truly ingenious combination of flavors.
After the amazing dinner, breakfast the next morning was a bit of a disappointment. The choices are very limited and a bit underwhelming.
We'd heard much about the gardens and wandered through on our own prior to dinner, but decided to take the daily garden tour the next morning. It was informative and enjoyable and well worth the 45 minutes.
We'd definitely go back when, and if, we venture back to that part of the world.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel is located on Southern Vancouver Island overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Olympic Mountains, and has direct beach access to Whiffin Spit on the Juan de Fuca Strait. Our unique 28 rooms feature a selection of fine amenities including spa tubs and steam showers. All of the guest rooms have wood-burning fireplaces and ocean views, with the exception of the very spacious family room which overlooks our garden area. The internationally award-winning fine -dining restaurant serves organic, seasonal, Canadian cuisine, specializing in wild seafood, mushrooms, herbs, and flowers from its organic gardens. We offer meeting facilities, spa services, recreational activities and eco-tourism in pristine wilderness. Whale watching can be enjoyed within walking distance, and on occasion the Orcas swim in front of the hotel! The Sooke Harbour House is a perfect destination for weddings, romantic holidays and an 'any season getaway'. In 2016 all 28 guest rooms were sympatheically renovated with new carpets, beds, luxury linens and 40 inch flat screens with cable tv. In September 2016 we opened our wonderful new Copper Room, featuring a large selection of Island produced craft beers, wines and spirits as well as international favourites. The Copper Room is open from 11:00am to 9:00pm year-round daily, serving a more casual menu of wholesome and hearty foods as an alternative to our fine dining. *** Please note: From 18th October until Spring our fine-dining restaurant is closed every Tuesday and Wednesday. It is open for dinner Thursday to Monday from 5.30pm to 9.00pm. The Copper Room is open daily making Sooke Harbour House a full service resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sooke Harbour House Hotel Sooke
- Sooke Harbour Hotel
- Sooke Harbour House Resort Hotel Vancouver Island