“Yummy but pricey”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2013

It all started by looking for a BYOB resto in the Laurentians as a way to keep costs down. Not many choices! And especially when they were poorly reviewed by fellow trippers. We finally chose this little gem, made reservations, and arrived on time. We were presented with menus and I was a bit surprised at the prices; 10-15$ for appetizers, 25-35$ (from what I remember) for main courses, $7.50 for French fries (world famous claimed....good but give me a break....they are only fries). The prices made me reflect on my 15$ wine choice. Regardless, the food was excellent albeit limited choices in entrees (i ate a scallop dish....one large scallop) and limited serving size (I guess this is fine French dining)....I was still hungry when I left but tapped out money-wise. Luckily my wife was not able to finish her meal and I helped her out. I did order the fries and they were good but....still. It was a more expensive evening than planned but good company, excellent service, and an exquisite and charming environment helped soften the financial blow.

2  Thank murmur9630

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Recently we dined at Clementine after a glorious Spring Ski Day. The food was delicious with simple ingredients...local produce. Val David is a quaint little town and I look forward to summer dining on the terrace...Great service and great food!

2  Thank janieb50
Reviewed December 8, 2012

most. fine restaurants do not charge extra in this case 4$ for a small cup of sauce aux poivres when you order a 35$ filet mignon. the vegies were rare. and tasteless

1  Thank boufe
Reviewed June 18, 2010

This ought to be a first-class restaurant of its kind, which is to say a modest and somewhat limited menu, supposedly using only fresh local ingredients (or as much as possible), run by a very experienced, award-winning duo, and I daresay you could have a very fine meal on the right night. However, in spite of being very well received (and we did have a fairly pleasant evening overall) we experienced a number of blemishes which leaves me a day later thinking it was not really up to par. I won't comment about the very odd chairs on the terrace, which led us to dine inside when we wanted to enjoy the beautiful weather out, but once inside, we were just a tiny bit rushed, so that when the appetizer was served somewhat hastily, we should probably have asked for a break in which to digest it more thoroughly. But this is a good quality restaurant (with prices to match) and we did not think it necessary to state the obvious, with the result that our main course was served within about five minutes and we were forced to gaze down at our meals without quite the same appetite we had when we arrived, if you take my point. This very naturally led to a mild case of indigestion, which could not be assisted by a medicinal cognac or calvados, of which there was none! In addition, my meal of sweetmeats, delicious though it was, was more suited to an appetizer than a main course. The appetizer, which was exceeding rich thanks to a delicious creamy sauce, was large enough to have been a small main course. All this adds up to some gastric confusion, I can assure you. So if you go to Clementine's, and I would not advise against it, perhaps you would be well-advised to take two appetizers. Altogether, in spite of a reasonably pleasant evening, we were a tad disappointed.

3  Thank Marrlowe
Reviewed June 13, 2010

We have gone To Clementine over a dozen times, because they serve the most amazing rib steak on a sizzling plate with peppercorns. In fact the week before we commented to Louise, one of the owners, how great the quality was.
We returned last night with friends. Their steak came out, beautiful! Ours, no bone, full of fat, disgusting. We rarely send things back, even though we eat out regularly, because it makes us uncomfortable, but in this case, we called the waitress. She returns to our table, 5 minutes later with the same steak re-heated, and Louise who explains that all steaks are cut in the kitchen.
After dinner, I went in to talk to Louise, having been shocked at her reaction. She started arguing with me that I began by telling the server that we have never been charged the "sharing fee" of $8 marked on the menu. She said, we can't make money if people share. Is that why they served us the most disgusting piece of meat that ever came out of that kitchen!

4  Thank oftdiner