“Beautiful waterfront and beaches”
Review of Rock Island Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wawa
Rock Island Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Wawa B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed at the Rock Island Lodge for 3 nights with a group which included a small child. The beach was fantastic as were the views from the deck. The service and staff were fantastic. We had great group meals with some of the other guests which was fun. My only complaint would be that we ordered a fish dinner well in advanced thinking that we would be served fresh fish from the lake, only to be told later that they only have frozen fish. I found this strange in the middle of summer.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FootPrincess
SuperiorSeaKayakers, Owner at Rock Island Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Hi Footprinces:

Thanks for your very generous review and I am happy you stayed with us. We love it when all guests join us for a big meal at one table. It's a wonderful opportunity for everyone to share travel experiences and more with people from a very wide and diverse backgrounds.

You make a good point about the Lake Superior Fish. Since the fishing tugs come and go according to their own schedule often separated by up to a week, we can never be sure to have fish fresh caught from Superior. Our next best option is to buy fresh fish from the tug and to freeze it or to buy it fresh frozen from the tug. Either way when Judy our chef/cook works her magic, it's absolutely delicious.

Warm regards

David

I hope this answers your question.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

There is no place better to stay on Lake Superior. If you are a an avid kayaker or canoeist, or even if you are just visiting the area I highly recomend Rock Island Lodge. The views from the lodge are abosolutely stunning. The high cliffs of superior mirrored by the cold depths off Lake Superior is almost indescribable. The bay just off of the peninsula where the lodge is situated is excellent for kayakers and SUP (Stand Up Paddleboarding) to play in the waves created by the current from the Michipoten River and the wind from Superior. The staff were very friendly and were very knowledgeable of the surrounding area. They accommodated your every need and were helpful in outfitting us for the whatever day excursion. The rooms were very charming offering good views of the bay. We slept in the Patterson suite and it was great and clean. Aside from the excellent paddling offered at the lodge I would highly suggest hiking the Nokomis trail located 20 minutes south of Wawa. The trail is moderately difficult with mostly uphill at the begging and a steep descent at the end but offers beautiful views of Old Woman Bay at the top. Despite the park saying it takes 1 and 1/2-3 and 1/2 hours to do the hike my family completed it in 45 minutes. If you are a reasonably fit person and do not have a some hiking experience this hike is excellent. If you are travelling through Wawa I highly encourage you to stop at Rock Island Lodge to experience the beauty of Lake Superior to its fullest.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank NatePodie387
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband & I stayed in the Patterson suite while my sister & brother stayed in the main building. Both were well appointed & clean but I preferred the Patterson suite for the privacy. The lodge has an amazing location with spectacular views! Dave, the owner has an amazing staff that are welcoming and helpful. The lodge offers many sports and great meals & entertainment. Wishing I was still there!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KL_travel
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My Brazilian friend and I were passing through Wawa, braced for yet another highway hotel when someone suggested we check this place out. Words cannot describe the relief and thrill on discovering this amazing place. The location is breathtaking, the staff very warm and welcoming, the accommodations beyond anything we could have hoped for. We wined, dined, paddled, chatted, and absorbed the incredible beauty of Lake Superior for 2 days. We left Rock Island rested and recharged, ready for the long drive back to Toronto. The highlight of our trip...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank czund1
Reviewed June 18, 2012

If you are a Great Lake Sea Kayaker, this place should be on your "bucket list". My two buddies and I finished our Superior trip (August of 2010) with an overnight stay at this fantastic lodge. The lodge is a base for sea kayaking trips on Lake Superior. Even if you do not sea kayak, the location of this lodge is second to none. The staff are great and the views are....well.....SUPERIOR.

Room Tip: Every room has views, sounds and smells of Lake Superior. You can not miss with any room.