Bristol Motel
Mystic Isle Motel(Wawa)(Great Value!)
$78
$81
$77
Parkway Motel(Wawa)
All reviewshot tubplace to stayno elevatornorthern ontariodecent placebed was comfortablepleasant staytim hortonsrooms are cleanmuffinssnowmobilemoteltrucksleepingpillowskey
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I am part of a group of Gold Wing motorcycle riders (25 couples) who ride to Wawa every year and stay at the Bristol Motel. We have been doing this for quite a few years. The hospitality is awesome, the rooms are clean and comfortable. If they weren't we certainly wouldn't return every year. The motel is situated close to everything in town - restaurants, gas stations and the grocery store. I would certainly recommend them to anyone traveling in the Wawa area.

Ted Lumley

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed May 23, 2010

I travelled to Wawa on business and was in the Bristol Motel for 2 nights, though I'd have stayed somewhere else if I'd been able to. The hallways stank of stale alcohol and smoke, and the room I stayed in was very stuffy and musty. The impressive-looking air conditioning device didn't work at all, and there was no ventilation system for the bathroom. I suspect the bowed ceiling in the bathroom is probably filled with mould. In addition, the shower-head sprayed water in a very uncomfortable, even painful manner. At night, the fluorescent green lightbulbs placed above each room's window make it quite difficult to get to sleep at night. The window-shades really don't do a good job of blocking it out, and I didn't want them closed fully to allow for what little air exchange I could get through the very small window opening.

I might have let all this slip, seeing as we were way up north and none of us expected to be staying at something like the Royal York. However, after a review arrived online by one of our group (bear_km), a number of us were confronted by one of the owners who demanded to know if we knew who had written it; he was quite rude. Then upon checking out of my room, I was mistaken for one of the people in our group who had been having breathing problems in their room and had to go across the street to a better-maintained motel. When I was about to hand in my keys, I was verbally abused by the woman at the desk and accused of lying about my ailment. When she finally realized that she was mistaken, she allowed me to hand in my key and continued to deal with me in a very terse manner without any apology.

If this is the only place in town that has space available, you might try driving in from the next town over. This is a poorly maintained and badly decorated motel run by a couple who need a lesson in customer service.

4  Thank ScotchScotchScotch
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I recently stayed at the Bristol Motel and there were several problems. Firstly, two colleagues of mine, upon entering the building and spending a few minutes there had problems breathing, and one had an asthma attack. When the problems persisted for them, and when it was clear that the air in the motel was the cause, they asked the owner for a refund which was refused. They were accused of being liars and they relocated to another motel. The rest of us in the group stayed there. Some of the other problems included: a hole in the ceiling directly above one of the beds that was mildewy and mouldy, a fluorescent green light that shone rather unpleasantly through the bedroom windows at night, limited ventilation in the rooms, peeling walls, etc. Although there were a few nice gestures (free muffins and coffee every morning), the owners were rude to more than one of my colleagues, and were not professional. The wireless connection was rather dismal, and the business centre included one working computer with slow internet. I would never recommend this place to anyone going to Wawa.

4  Thank Ironman1980
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Myself and a colleague just checked into the Bristol and I immediately had breathing problems and my friend had a full blown athsma attack, triggered by mildew and particulate left in the air from sandblasting. After leaving the hospital, the proprietor wouldn't refund us our rooms. She also called me a liar.

I would avoid the Bristol, but both the Sportsmen and the Best Northern are worth a visit.

3  Thank kevinjamesmac
bmk123, Manager at Bristol Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2010

I am sorry that the Bristol Motel did not have an elevator for you and that your problems arose when you had to walk up the stairs. You moved to my neighbour's motel but you continued to revisit my motel that evening and the next morning, with no further "attacks". Every story has two sides. Also I would not give you a refund as the company paid for your room with their group which you were not even a member. Northern Ontario people appreciate what we have, travelling in the north many things are not available due to where we live. Some people are very hard to please.

Reviewed March 10, 2010

Have stayed here many times love it. This visit was not one I did not want to have to take as it was for a funeral. Under the circumstances would not of wanted to be anywhere else but the Bristol. The motel staff we excellent in making sure I was comfortable and available if needed whether it was for an extra pillow to just letting me tell stories about my falling friend. The motel was near the funeral home, walking distance which was wonderful as it was allowing me time for some well needed air in between getting to and from the funeral. Afterward they opened up the "TV room and conference room with large table" for myself, family and friends to all get together and console one another with stories or our dear loved one. Food trays were also brought in for us to enjoy. Hoping next visit is on a happier note.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
bmk123, manager at Bristol Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2010

we are very happy to have accommodated you and hope your next visit is for a happy time.