“Excellent service.”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Gander
ottawa
“Excellent service.”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed for two nights while travelling through. While there is no question the rooms need a major overhaul, the staff was so wonderful I didn't care. Room service went above and beyond. The young woman at the front desk lent me her own iphone charger when I realized I'd left mine at home.
Also the view of the river was nice.
As a hotel five minutes from an airport, this place definitely beats any comparably priced airport hotel in other major cities. A little charm goes a long way to comfort me about older carpeting.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank shanzul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
toronto
Reviewed August 8, 2013

After reading so many terrible reviews on this place, I was very nervous about my trip. As we were travelling as a large group, (25 people) Gander Hotel was arranged for us and we proceeded with caution.

Location was good - within walking distance to most things in town. Staff were friendly, helpful and courteous. Our room was spacious with a comfy king bed and clean. Yes the washroom sink was outdated, but worked fine. Everything in the hotel seemed outdated, but all worked fine, including ice machines, TV's and elevators.

As we were in town for a softball championship, we didn't have any flexibility on dates and the rooms at ALL hotels in Gander were inflated for the week ($117 + tax) per night. This certainly wasn't the price point I was hoping for, but service was great and room served its purpose.

Given we were a large and loud group of people, staff were very patient with us, helping us out daily with directions, suggestions etc.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We booked a package that included two nights, one dinner, theatre, and a whale watching boat trip at Twillingate. It was good value. Our room was clean, comfortable, everything worked. The pool had a grungy ring around the edge at the water line. The dinner was very enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I am orginally from central area, was home on vac and had an early return flight out and decided to stay overnight to avoid a early drive. I didn't read the reviews, if I had I would have not bothered to waste my hard earned money on this crappy hotel.. $150.00 at that! I arrived at the hotel with 2 adults, 2 kids and quite a few bags.. No automatic sliding doors here!..nope..not even a handicap button to press to assist with entry.. No pleasant greeting when checking in.. Nope.. Not even a smile.. She was not happy to be there and it showed...She made sure I signed the pool waiver though. Room was not too bad in cleanliness, very outdated! Bedspread was ugly and itchy.. I wouldn't sit down on it..tv old. The pool (oversized tub)was stinky/cold/and scum all around the inside. my kids only stayed in for a few mins!! They could not tolerate the smell.Towels poolside were in plastic containers with spots on them and a total of 4 chairs to sit by the pool.. The only good thing was the guy who helped me with my luggage at 430 in the morning.. Too overpriced and need to renovate!! Don't waste your money people!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gloria K
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My 4 kids and I stayed there 3 days ago - I had to calm down to write this review - The hotel is very old, our sink in both room were cracked, we felt the springs in our beds. I called down to front desk asking about long distance calls, all she said was dial 8 first, nothing about the $2.00 for the first minute and $1.50 every minute after. When I enquired at check out the manager literally ran from his office and said not his problem call the phone company. I said you should inform guest, expecially after I called down his response was you didn't ask. I would have used my own cell phone but Telus only works in the city here in Newfoundland. Not only is this hotel old, in need of updating, the manager has a huge chip on his shoulder.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed in the Gander Hotel in June 2013 for one night. The staff is great, the hotel and rooms are very clean. Hotel is on the Transcanada Hiway and close to all amenities.

Wehave nothing negative to say about this hotel, good value for a nice comfortable room.

Room Tip: The room facing the hiway have nicer lake views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ron O
Ontario
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were on the road and in a hurry to book a hotel in Gander, so stumbling across the Gander Hotel website I thought 'wow, that looks and sounds like a great place' and booked without looking for reviews. It was all downhill from there.

First, if you look their website you might believe the Hotel Gander to be a nice, modern hotel. They certainly bill it as such - and I'm positive they bought stock photography for their photos - as they don't match the look and feel of the hotel in any way. I took plenty of photos to add to this review.

Since I could write a small novel about all the problems with this hotel, here's the abbreviated list:

-The rooms look like they were last updated in the 80s

-The carpets are horribly stained. Same goes for any fabric surfaces on furniture. I felt dirty just being there.

-Bathroom vanity full of cracks, which in turn are visibly dirty.

-Water glasses in the room looked like they'd just been picked up from where the last guest was using them and put back in paper wrappers - one was even sticky.

-Sub-par, rock hard beds

-The pool they prominently highlight on their website was slightly bigger than a bathtub, and about as cold as the Atlantic in the spring. Don't get me wrong - I like a cool swimming pool, and hate bathwater-warm pools - but this pool was frigid. PLUS, you have to go the front desk and sign a waiver just to get the passcode to get into the pool.

- Both of the women we encountered at the front desk were exceedingly rude and unhelpful. For instance, I came to the front desk and said "I was hoping you might have a corkscrew?" and the woman - who was reading a magazine - didn't even look up and simply replied "No." When I continued with "but the hotel has both a restaurant and bar - are you telling me there's no wine openers in the whole hotel?" she replied threw the magazine down on the desk, huffed at me, then proceeded with: "Listen - we USED to have wine openers for the guests - but they stole them all - and we can't afford to just give wine openers to everyone!" When I suggested that they probably *could* afford this given they're charging $140 a night for a room I'd expect at $60 super-budget motel she basically yelled "maybe you'd have better luck at the bar!" before picking up her magazine and going back to ignoring me.

-We asked "Can you recommend a restaurant nearby?" Answer: "No."

All of that said - if they billed the hotel as a super-budget hotel... charged about half of what they currently charged, and hired all-new, friendly staff - then at least you'd be getting what you paid for. Since that's unlikely to ever happen - I'd strong recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family