“Old and stinky”

Quality Hotel & Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Gander
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I was stranded in Gander because of a mechanical problem on United.
We were booked overnight in hotel Gander, one of my worst experience.
Very old rooms, in a rundown hotel with a very poor restaurant.
The flight was a nightmare and this hotel has contributed to make it even worse.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank alfalove
There are newer reviews for Quality Hotel & Suites

Reviewed November 5, 2012

As much as this hotel was clean it was run down and unless you have one of their few suites the room is from the late 70's. The front desk team is great but the hotel needs 2000.00 put into the rooms and it would be a great place. My toilet would not flush the whole time I was there and each time called down and waited for ever for someone to fix it. The conference space is nice (basic). The food was EXCELLENT! I wouldn't overly endorse this hotel but it served its purpose. Also we paid too much per night for what we got.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite or a king size bed on the highway side as you have a view of the Gander lake.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed overnight on the Oct 20th, room was clean but some furniture was a bit outdated. Beds were were clean and comfortable which was most important, food was good and the staff treated us very well. Not above average but a good place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Hotel room was old and shabby! Stains on the walls,bathtub and carpet. Room smelled musty. Bedspreads desperately needs updating in fact the whole hotel needs to be totally renovated
I would not recommend this hotel. Stayed here overnight while driving across the province

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I recently booked a room at the Hotel Gander, where my wife’s conference was being held. As we were traveling with a 5 month old infant, we called far in advance to request a playard for the baby and to secure a room that was quiet and had a refrigerator. We were offered an efficiency unit located on the main floor that was complete with a kitchenette. My wife expressed concern over a room on the main floor and was assured it was quiet and not near the front desk, hotel bar, elevators or kitchen.
The day we were to check in to the hotel, I was returning on a flight from Norway, so I had traveled nearly 16 hours and was faced with a 4 hour drive to the hotel. We arrived at approximately 1am in the morning. I unloaded an SUV full of luggage and found our room. The front desk staff did not lie, it was not near the front desk, elevator, bar or kitchen, but it was right beside the main entrance to the hotel, where cars pulled up to the front of the hotel, shining head lights into our window and the associated noise that goes along with it. To make matters worse, the hotel smoking area was right outside our window.
Location aside, the room was the dirtiest most foul hotel room I have ever stayed in, and I have stayed in hostels across Europe as a backpacker! The carpets were dingy, dirty, sticky and smelly. The showers were caked with dirt and looked like they hadn’t been cleaned or used in decades. The sinks, where we had planned to bathe our infant, were equally as disgusting. Light sockets were hanging off of lamps, there was a couch that I think at one point was blue, but now had the brown tinge of years of neglect. The playard provided for our infant was old, dirty and had holes in it. When we laid in bed, the pillows smelled of body odor and dander.
I went to reception to request another room and was told nothing was available until the next day in the afternoon. As it was 1am and I had been traveling for over 24 hours at this point, we had no choice but to stay in this room, although I tried to convince my wife that we would be better to spend it camping in our vehicle. Our infant slept in her car seat and I slept fully clothed, shoes included, on top of the bed sheets.
The next day I promptly requested a new room and was given the keys to another room, on the 3rd floor this time, that had a refrigerator. This room was a slight improvement, same gross couch, slightly less dingy carpets and I may have considered using the shower if I was desperate. This, combined with all of the empty beer cases outside the surrounding rooms, did not bode well for another good night’s sleep with an infant.
So with my infant in tow, we set off to find another hotel. Luckily up the street was a small comfort inn that had a trip advisor recommended sticker on the door, which is always a good sign. The staff were friendly and the lobby felt like a real hotel. She showed me a room with a kitchenette that had been renovated in March and was clean and spacious. We immediately took it, especially when they provided us with a brand new playard for our baby to sleep in. The room here was also cheaper and included breakfast.
I drove back to the Hotel Gander and told them I was checking out. I was not rude, nor made a fuss, just said the room was not suitable. It is here that I found out that their customer service is on par with the condition of their property. Rather than apologize for the inconvenience or ask if there was anything else they could do, I was promptly told that if I did not get my stuff out of the room right away I would be charged with another half day! So with an infant strapped to my chest, I made about 10 trips with our luggage, from our disgusting room to our vehicle, all the while, the front desk staff watched and offered no assistance. Once I finally moved all of our luggage and turned in the key ( an actual key by the way ), I was charged the full $180 for the night and had the receipt shoved to me with a very delightful and pleasant “Here”.
Needless to say I will never stay here again. If not for the fact there is nowhere else in Gander to hold a conference, I believe this hotel would have been shuttered years ago. I cannot believe that visitors to our beautiful province are being submitted to such 3rd world conditions. My wife is on the board of the group that had the conference there and believe me, if she is still there next year, the conference will be held elsewhere.
I use trip advisor religiously and this experience has fortified my belief in the power of the consumer to spread the word of hidden gems and blatant horrors. Please, for your own health, do not stay at the Hotel Gander. There are several other hotels nearby, which cannot possibly be any worse.
I can only hope that some management at Hotel Gander will read this someday and realize that guests deserve courtesy and friendliness regardless of the situation. The young girls behind the desk are not responsible for the condition of this hotel, but they are responsible for your guest’s first and lasting impressions. Smiles are free even at McDonalds.

Room Tip: Any room not in this hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank edmb
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We used to stay here back in the 90's and we hadn't been back there in a few years. it's not as good as it used to be but the prices have gone up. The room was fairly clean but paper is peeling from the walls and the sink was disgusting. it's all cracked up and you could see the dirt and grim in the cracks. The restaurant serves medicore food which you have to wait a long time for. Back in the nineties they had a great lounge with good service and entertainment. Now its a cubby hole in the corner of the lobby with the sole purpose of housing a few VLT's. The staff are no longer friendly and overall service is poor.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Not very satisfied with the overall stay. Staying over for business. Front desk staff could have at least put a smile on their faces to seem a little pleasant. Check in was at 4, got there at 4:30 and my room was not ready. Was forced to pay extra to get a room right away. Horrible horrible. Gym is the size of a sauna room.

• Stayed: August 2012