“Good but.....”

The Root Community Emporium
Reserve with OpenTable
The Root Community Emporium is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 97 Restaurants in Lloydminster
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife and I have been eating here regularly since moving to Lloydminster. There are no problems with the food here. There are problems with the service, however. We went in a few times for crepes on Saturday mornings over the past few months. There is a snippy young waitress that has served us several times. We were there 2 weeks ago and she wasn't there. We thought "great" she's gone. We had great service that day. Last week she was back. To be honest we received more service from the "waiter" who was not even our server. I am sure we will eat here again because of the great food but if we walk in the door and see this waitress, we will probably come back at a different time when she isn't there.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

The Root is located downtown, and is known for featuring local entertainment. There was no entertainment the night we dined here, but the décor is funky and interesting. Our waiter came promptly with water and menus. We chose a bottle of wine, and he returned with wine glasses. I should have handed mine back as it was unappetizingly covered with water spots, but not liking to complain I used it. I ordered the special which was pork chops with a cranberry topping. The waiter asked me what I wanted for a side...I chose mashed potatoes but he said 'the special comes with scalloped potatoes' so I said "ok, I'll have the caramelized vegetables." We added a salad which was butter lettuce, some seeds of some type and topped with a raspberry/peach dressing. The salad was dressed up to look pretty but was quite plain and an additional $3. My main arrived and it had two pork chops covered with cranberry sauce and vegetables. Again I should have questioned the fact that this wasn't what he said I would get but did not. The chops were tasty and the veggies were OK, but nothing special, for the price. After we finished our meal we decided to have dessert and coffee. I asked for a cup of decaf and was told they didn't have decaf...seriously? I had a restaurant 25 years ago and always had decaf available. He offered to bring me a decaf tea which I agreed to. We chose deserts - I had a black cat cheesecake which was quite good...but my tea never did arrive. When he realized he had forgotten the tea he was adamant that he would now bring it, but by that point I was finished my dessert and was ready to leave. The management is trying with this interesting little restaurant, but I think they are falling a bit short. I will try The Root again...and hopefully the service and attention to cleanliness will match the fairly tasty food.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We picked this spot because of the excellent reviews and we wanted to find a local spot. We were glad we did - the food was great and it happened to be night spotlighting local talent both from the adult community but also the young musicians from local schools. Fun night out when your on the road for work. thanks Root Community Emporium!

1  Thank jlr2140
Reviewed March 22, 2014

This place was easy to find and a huge surprise! We were just driving through and stumbled on upon it on tripadvisor and it sounded like our best bet. This place was fresh and unique looking, the staff are great and friendly, the customers are friends and usuals. We were greeted/seated and given their set menu for their lunch. They offered to start a potato corn soup, or a strawberry salad with homemade strawberry vinaigrette, then followed by either coconut chicken rice or potato cakes with a tomato sauce(vegetarian) or a sushi roll (vegan) we had all but the sushi. The entire meal was amazing and well priced (we paid 12 each for a starter and main). Couldn't have been happier with the food, it's all local and fresh and all tasted amazing. My husband and sister loved both of the soup and salad and the potato and coconut meal. I've eaten at many granola healthy local places and high end restaurants and if this places was nearer to me I'd chose it over many others.

1  Thank chelseakicks7
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

I've rented the space here for a photoshot and it's awesome. The Root is always filled with good people, good food and a great atmosphere.