Tropical Inn Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Lloydminster
St. Albert, Canada
“Dirty”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed here with our granddaughters ball team. The place is not cleaned properly. It looks like the rooms were semi vacuumed, but there were large particles of stuff behind the table, and along the edges of the floor and behind the door. A dirty cleaning rag was left on the floor of our bathroom and was there to greet us when we first got in the room. There was a streak of something reddish brown on the dust ruffle of one of the beds, Yuck! One of the little ball players was taking a shower in her room and the water just stopped! In our room the water ran from hot to cold to burning hot. I had to constantly adjust it to avoid being scalded. When we were leaving the room for the day, the cleaning staff saw us leaving and asked if we "needed" the room cleaned. I just asked for towel replacement. She took our towels and did not come back with fresh ones. We had to go searching for towels and toilet paper ourselves later. It seems that with the previous comments of this place being dirty that management would step up and take control. Our grandkids enjoyed the free breakfast and the water slides. Beds were comfortable however I will not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
TropicalInn, General Manager at Tropical Inn Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank-you for your response! So sorry for your inconvenience, I wish you would have called to the front desk upon arrival to your room so that we could have changed your room. Not to lighten your inconvenient stay with us, but we do have new housekeepers whom obviously need more training and to inspect the room before they close the door. Again, I do apologise! I am glad that you did enjoy the water slides, the comfy bed, and the complimentary breakfast.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Smithers, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

We had called ahead, and they had a spot for us, ............
We were tired and glad to have a place to rest our heads.
The check-in clerk was friendly.
We checked in, and "initialed the check-in document " for our non smoking room.
Thus far the GOOD news.
Now, up the elevator to our floor .......
The hallway was NOT clean, and smelled awful.
Our room, was NOT clean, and smelled like a smoking den.
The sheets were clean enough, but under the mattress cover, ..... GROSS
The bathroom was FILTHY
The shower produced only a pathetic dribble, and squirted water at the "diverter control", obviously the shower head was partially plugged.
Oh well, "it's only for one night".....
Upon checkout, ... another friendly person, ......... I thought I had better share my thoughts......
"could I please see the check-in document" ........... "we asked for and signed for a non-smoking room", .............
"It IS a ""non-smoking room", sir" We heard as a reply.
"well, actually , you are WRONG, I DO KNOW what smoke smells like." I replied.
" and I do not appreciate the false pretences" I continued.
Then came the clincher, ...... "but Sir, as of 2 weeks ago we changed the WHOLE tower to ""non smoking"" status."
AHA, now I get it, ........ : Proclaim it to be "non smoking", and "in 2 weeks" it shall be fresh and clean, miraculously.................
We will not darken their doorway again, even if it would mean to sleep in our vehicle.
PS .... the included "free breakfast" was fine.

Room Tip: Avoid this establishment.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter P
TropicalInn, General Manager at Tropical Inn Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank-you for your review. We were in the process of changing our tower rooms to non smoking rooms including new carpets, new bedding, painted ceilings, ect. Your stay was right in the middle of our transition, I do apologise for this inconvenience.

Travelers are raving about these Lloydminster hotels

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed 3 nights, Pros: friendly staff, comfortable beds, clean room, good breakfast. Cons: requested cleaning staff to clean room later in day (not done), busy, crowded breakfast area between 8:00 - 9:00 a.m., need more lighting in the rooms - stayed level one, rooms on the 7th floor much brighter (more lighting). In comparison to other places in Lloydminster, the price is reasonable and the added hot breakfast is a bonus.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TropicalInn, General Manager at Tropical Inn Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank-you so much for your review! The breakfast room does get a little busy in the morning especially when we have many teams in the hotel. We are in the process of renovating our property, We appreciate your comments, and are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank-you again!!!
Red Deer, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

I've stayed here way too many times. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again & expecting a different result. Well I guess I'm insane. I gave this joint way too many chances to step up, yet nothing. Bottom floor, I ended up with bites all over my body in more than one room. other floors seem to be okay. The best part of staying here is the beds, they are nice. I end up swearing & cursing everyday once I step into the hotel, but subsides when I finally get into my room after I go there & find out my key card does not work. So down to the front desk I go & request they make the key card work for more that one day, a 10 min at best turn around with my hand full. "Well I'll try, but they are finicky" My deal is 125 a night if you can get a room in one of the many nice hotels even for a little more, do it! This place is not worth the aggravation! 105 a night would fit it it's place in the market. I can't wait for the new hotels to open up to drive the prices down for these gougers!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Jason H
TropicalInn, General Manager at Tropical Inn Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank-you for your response! Sorry that we could not satisfy you during your time with us. We as well as other hotels take the threat of "bed bugs" very seriously and should not be thrown around litely! If you had bites from multiple rooms , I would expect you come to the front desk and question what was going on. We would have had a pest control officer in our property within a half hour for an inspection. Good luck wherever you do stay.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

First of all the staff is completely clueless and rude ! Second incident was that someone walked in on me while i was having a shower! They rented the room twice to two different persons ! And last but definitely not least.. I was at work the next day and i started itching all over my right side( side that i sleep on), got back later that day, took shirt off and no doubt about it, bed bug bites. Trust me ive got them once before and i know what they are. I've done my research and actually went to the hospital to get them checked out! Now im throwing away arpund 2000$ worth of work gear and clothes due to contamination and all they (tropical inns staff) can do is give me 50% off my one night stay !!! Unacceptable !!!!!So long story short: strike one, two and three all within 24 hours !! Me( projects supervisor) and all personal of company will never stay at this hotel again

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Lannen
TropicalInn, General Manager at Tropical Inn Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank-you for your response. We are terribly sorry for your inconvenient stay with us. We do have new staff on and that should never happen. We will take more time on training our new attendants. We do take the threat of bed bugs very seriously. However, we had pest control at our property and they found no evidence of bed bug activity. I am sending you a copy of the inspection report on your room. Again, we are sorry for your inconvenience.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

Staff was enthusiastic and professional. The room was sparkling clean with a really nice pillowy bed. The WiFi was fast (able to stream Netflix no problem). Free breakfast and room service too! Great stay. Recommended!

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TropicalInn, General Manager at Tropical Inn Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank-you so much for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your next stay with us!!
Regina, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

When we got to the hotel the lobby was nice but hard to get around to find our room. The room was not very clean and the pool was terrible that my kids were scared. The hotel is a bit old and it need renovation. We are not comfortable at all, we change hotel the next day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank E C
TropicalInn, General Manager at Tropical Inn Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Yes our hotel is a bit of a maze as it is so large. I do apologise for your room not being up to standards, we will work closer with our housekeeping staff to improve this. We are in the process of renovations, I do hope you will give us another try. Thank-you so much!