“great food and service, dated interior”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Beach House Cafe

Beach House Cafe
Cuisines: Seafood, Mediterranean, Central European, European
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Calgary
“great food and service, dated interior”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

The food was fresh and excellent quality and service was very good too. View is also fantastic. My only complaint is that the interior is a little dated and musty smelling.

QB
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Opportunity Lost”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2009

This could be the best place in town because it has the perfect location on the main road and overlooking a beautiful bay.
However, it misses by miles. The food gave the impression that it had been pre-cooked and re-heated. The service was so slow that the vegetables were stuck to the plate because they had been sitting under the heat lamps for so long.
There was no excuse for this as they were not busy at the time. Only one other table was occupied while we were there. The servers and the cook must have had more important things to do rather than look after customers.

1 Thank QbGnome
Alberta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2009

Great Dinner and spectacular view. Probably the best meal I've ever had. I had the fresh ling cod and it was superb. My husband had the yager snitzel with a wild mushroom sause and he raved about it. We'll be back on our next visit to Qualicum.

Vancouver Island
“Incredible view, dreadful food and worse service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2009

I made the mistake of visiting this restaurant a second time, thinking perhaps the first time was just an "off day". As a local who is proud of my Island, I was embarassed by taking a visiting friend for dinner to this beautiful location with so much potential, only to have one of the most memorably bad food/service/value experiences in recent memory.

The menu was lacking meaningful and cohesive variety, the service was non-existent and sloppy, and the food was the piece de resistance...awful. My guest couldn't finish her dinner because it was so bad and we had to take her still full plate to the front counter to tell the curiously untrained staff, as our waitress, who was fawning over the table next to us, could not be found (the other table had several bottles of wine and were obviously going to leave a better tip). Our waitress never did come to check on us after the order was placed.

We stood for 15 minutes waiting to pay the bill, with various staff milling about who "couldn't help" because our server was the only one who could ring us in. When she did appear, she couldn't ring us in as she had "seven orders" in her head that needed her attention first, but loudly told her co-worker she would "deal" with us in a moment. I am always in favour of a server not being held responsible for a poor meal and will always leave a tip...but for the first time in my life, did not leave one tonight. What's worse, is I made a reservation for this experience and was expected to pay the full bill with no compensation for the poor service and worse food. Go to Fish Tales down the road. It's not waterfront, but you won't notice...it's that good. I wish I had not wasted my time or money at Beach House, they don't deserve the support.

Pine Ridge, South Dakota
“Great food, lovely view, poor service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

My wife and I had really great food here, hence the 4-star review (I would give it 3.5 if that were possible). The seafood was delicious and very fresh. And the view really is hard to beat (although sunglasses are recommended if you are sitting outside or by the window to combat the evening glare). On the night we went, though, the service was really quite poor. This seemed to be mostly the result of only two serving staff for quite a lot of patrons, both inside and out. The servers seemed to be trying pretty hard to make their rounds, but it was hard to cover up the fact that they were seriously understaffed (at least that night). Please - get more waitstaff! The other aspects of the restaurant were really excellent for the price.