“A Good Asian Restaurant I Don't Have to Drive an Hour For.”
Review of Westhill Restaurant - CLOSED

Westhill Restaurant
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I drove past the sign many times and it never stuck. There are very few restaurants out in our area and going out for an evening supper means going to one of the local pub/restaurants, which are good but somewhat the same. I tried the Chinese restaurant in the village and that is another story. This place is tucked in the trees and looks like a cottage when you drive in, which was a quaint surprise. The restaurant is decorated in what I think is Malaysian style and immediate impression is that is clean...and yes, as women do...I judged the restaurant by the bathroom, which was immaculate. The menu is small but covers most everything. It is in keeping with a small restaurant and doesn't tax the kitchen to the point of having to pre-prepare food, so you get it fresh. Being it was our first time there and not knowing the portion sizes, we just ordered two dishes to share and both were excellent. The portion sizes are not huge, but neither are the prices, which leaves room to order a variety of dishes. Having said that we went home full. We were served by a waitress who bowed or lowered herself to our seated level when she talked to us. It is a cultural thing and being Canadian, I had to remind myself of that! We are not used to that kind of respect, but that tells the tale of the service...prompt, effecient, pleasant and very respectful. While there, there were many orders for pick-up and although it was quite in the restaurant that Sunday evening, (which she said was unusual...we had made reservations), they seemed to be busy. We have the best East Indian and Tai restaurants in Parksville and now I have found a good Chinese restaurant...finally.

1  Thank Celeb_123

Reviewed May 12, 2012

Possibly a bit late in writing this review as we have been a regular of Westhill for years now ...
The food is EXCELLENT, although mildly westernized, it is of great quality and a far cry from the typical chinese/malasian food that is the norm. I highly recommend giving this place a try, you won't regret it !

Reviewed April 23, 2011

Outstanding food, small portions, great service. Sweet and sour chicken and the honey garlic pork it really our Favorite!

Reviewed April 2, 2011

Westhill Restaurant is just outside of Qualicum Beach town (about 5-10 minutes away) and it's on the way to Port Alberni. The place looks like a bungalow or cottage in the country - brown with red trim- and from the highway, it can be deceiving if one does not pay attention. The locals know this restaurant well, but for visitors like us, we can easily pass through without noticing the restaurant. If you blink, you might miss it.
Once inside, it made us feel like home, cozy and comfortable with a very friendly owner. Though her English isn't very good, her friendliness made up for it. The place is very clean and well decorated. It has a view of a garden, though it isn't much at this time of the year. I was told to come back in spring or summer when they are in full bloom and enjoy a walk in the garden.
And let's not forget the food. Though it is advertised as Malaysian, it is actually Malaysian Chinese home-cooking. Try the stir-fried beef with onion and broccoli. Or stir-fried shrimps with tomato. The cheapest way is to go with the dinner package (dinner for two, etc) and as it comes with a delicious wonton soup, spring rolls, and vegetable in house sauce. They let me choose the main dish.
And don't forget they open only on Wednesday to Saturday and dinner only; I made a mistake of not phoning in advance to find out the day. They close at certain time of the year too because the owner told us she needs a break. We understood what she meant :-).
And in a small town like Qualicum Beach, I found out the restaurants tend to close early too, mostly before 8 pm, so plan accordingly.
We definitely will come back to this place if we are in the area in the future.

1  Thank TrvlPtrs