“Thrilling, exciting, truly adventurous”

Horne Lake Caves Provincial Park
2-Hour Outdoor Rock Rappel Training in Horne Lake
$104.75*
4-Hour Vertical Cave Challenge in Horne Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: Check out the Vancouver Island Underworld! Open year round for exploration above and below ground. Tours range from easy family tours all the way to the "Underground Extreme" where explorers rappel down a seven-storey waterfall! Or try the "3 hr. "Wet & Wild" Spelunking Adventure. Next door to the Horne Lake Campground where visitors will find lakefront campsites, canoe & kayak rentals, free parking & picnic area, boat launch and even camping in a teepee!
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Took part in the 4 hour Horne Lake Cave guided tour this past July & talk about amazing!! This was my 2nd time ever splunking and it was quite an experience. With smaller groups typically taking part in the longer guided tours I highly recommend taking the plunge. You experience some phenominal cave systems and it is like going back in time.

1  Thank Ashley F

Reviewed September 29, 2011

The three hour trip into Riverbend and Maincave was great. Went with three kids ages 8 to 13 and they had a great time. For our first caving adventure it was very informative and exciting. Our guide Brock from Island Pacific Adventures did a great job keeping the tour informative, safe and exciting.

3  Thank asim01
Reviewed September 29, 2011

This trip was wonderful. Sean was a great guide - so informative and helpful. The caves themselves are spectacular - something everyone should experience. However the hike in and the trip into the caves is strenuous and does require a certain level of fitness and balance. The rocks are slippery and the caves are in their natural state - that is part of their charm.

2  Thank Bunkie101
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My husband and I did the three hour tour. We enjoyed ourselves and would certainly go back.

Our one huge disappointment was that a longer tour wasn't available. The web site made it seem as if the longer tours (4 or 5 hours) ran daily. They don't. They only run if sufficient people sign up (I think this could have been explained a bit more clearly on the web site). We contacted them in advance and said we were interested in a longer tour - and gave them four days we could visit on. They weren't able to offer any of the longer tours on these days - and we were stuck with the three hours.

The tree hour tour was still well done. But we feel like we missed out on having a truly great (5 out of 5) experience.

2  Thank MellyM
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My Fiancé, daughter, and I went to the Horne Lake Caves on a two week vacation on Vancouver Island. I had been to a lot of caves in the past, but most of them had a path carved out of the floor for a smoother walk. When we got to the Horne Lake Caves, there was a small building there with information on the caves. There are various tours that you can take. We went with the Family Cavern Tour as it was the least expensive. It was $24 each, which I thought was a bit pricy for the tour, but in the end it was well worth it. Two tips for anyone interested in going. First, wear clothes that you don’t mind getting wet, dirty or ripped. Second, there are definitely tight spaces, but they don’t last very long, but if you’re extremely claustrophobic, I wouldn’t advise you to go.
Our tour group included our family, a family of four with two children ages 5 and 8, and two guys in their early 20’s. Our guide was Madison and she was fantastic! The beginning of the tour was a 20 minute hike that was pretty much all uphill! Yes, it made me feel a bit out of shape, but our guide stopped at strategic points of the hike to point out something or to teach us something about caves or caving. Once we got to the entrance, we learned that the first rule of caving was to always have 3 points of contact, either 2 feet and one hand or two hands and one foot. Great tip!
The entrance to the cave was 2 feet by 2 feet, which was tight. Once we got into the cave I finally understood what caving really meant. The floor was completely uneven. To get around, you were basically crawling around uneven boulders. The 8 year old was like a monkey and I said to myself, if he can do it so can you! There were a few moments that were a bit uncomfortable, like climbing down the ladder after the 2’ x 2’ entrance, but we all enjoyed it. Our tour of the cave stopped about mid cave, as apparently after that point there was a “squeeze” where you crawl on your stomach to get through, and a rappel! That’s the 5 hour Extreme Rappel Tour that takes you past that point. I can’t wait to go back to do that!
After the tour we decided to go and explore the other two caves that were open to the public to explore on their own. It costs $8.50 to rent a helmet with a lamp on it, which is well worth it. Safety First! In the other two caves, there is definitely climbing involved. In the first cave, our guide told us to climb the waterfall, and we did. It wasn’t much of a waterfall, more like a little drizzle, but it was well worth the climb. The two caves took us about another two hours to explore on our own. All in all, the three caves took around 4 hours to explore.
After this experience, all three of us are now interested in exploring more caves. I don’t think we would have been comfortable going into the cave on our own without doing the tour first, so I’m glad we did that and would recommend this attraction to anyone who is visiting Vancouver Island.

9  Thank bsmiles