“Great Food Last Year, Not Good This Year” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Butlers at the Mansion

Butlers at the Mansion
Cuisines: Canadian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York City, New York
“Great Food Last Year, Not Good This Year”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I'm from New York and I was here last year. The food was amazing, and was introduced to the chef which doesn't happen often, but what a great rapport. This visit, however, was uneventful and the food was lacking in flavour. Will not recommend, and will not be coming back.

I would like to know where the past chef has moved on to.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Jim S

Port Hardy, Canada
“The best service and food ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

The presentation and the room was perfect-best ever!
The chef has a flair with taste and colour!
Match a perfect room/best food ever and great service at reasonable prices ---this is an Excellent choice!

Visited August 2013
Chemainus, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Goodbye dinner for my travelling daughter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

What a perfect dining experience,great staff,great food,lovely surroundings.We will definitely go again.Val

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank 572Val
London
“Graceful reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

A couple of weeks ago I visited Butlers for a family occasion - the significant birthday of my mother-in-law. With perhaps 30 others our group took over the restaurant.
Although not especially involved in the arrangements, I was close enough to know that they were efficient, friendly and accommodating. I certainly know that the lady of the hour was thrilled with all aspects of the evening.
The food selection was by necessity limited to a set menu, the options were appropriately varied, my seafood choices were excellent and there were plenty of compliments (and no complaints) about the alternatives.
The ambience was lovely. The restaurant (and presumably the hotel) are stylish and well-kept, a 1940's American glamour feel that resonated with the demographics of our group.
I can't comment on value since I wasn't involved at all in payment, but I certainly got the impression that the costs were appropriate.
I'm moved to write the review however by the wonderful service on the night. Nothing was too much trouble, the service was very personal and immediate. We certainly weren't a rowdy group, all far too old to be troublesome. But the end of the evening was a little informal, with lots of table-swapping, speech-making and polite chaos. It must have been a little difficult to keep track, but the wait staff and restaurant manager Karen coped with exceptional grace and good humour.
On the basis of my visit I look forward to returning for a more intimate experience.

Hello there, I am the partner of the reviewer above, and also the daughter of the birthday girl,
I just wanted to add my ringing endorsement to Butler's. Karen and her crew of ladies, particularly Suki, were just great. The service was friendly, the food excellent and the ambience was delightful. I couldn't have been happier and I look forward to returning on our next visit. I would heartily recommend this venue - which on top of all that, boasts a beautiful outlook over the sea, with sunsets to die for, and a relaxed glamour that will be sure to delight even the toughest of customers. Bravo all, and thanks for giving my Mother a great party to remember.

1 Thank Garry M
Duncan, BC
“I'm Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

The restaurant is on the main floor of an well cared for old mansion. Hotel suites are above. The grounds were gorgeous but the food was disappointing. My dining partners chose the AAA Angus burger. They said the burger was tender and tasty but burnt. I chose the Mussels in a Green Thai broth. The first mussle was delicious. The second had a two inch black hair that I scooped up with the broth. The server was gracious in her apologies but explained the mussels come in seaweed that sometimes looks like hair. NOT! Did that mean that the mussels weren't washed before cooking? Of course the item was removed from the bill but again with the excuses as we left. BTW - I don't have dark hair - but our server did!!!!!!!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles