“Clean, Quiet and Good Value”

Hotel Gouverneur Le Noranda
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Rouyn-Noranda
Toronto, Canada
“Clean, Quiet and Good Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Stayed here one night while on business in Rouyn-Noranda.
I usually stay with another hotel chain located on the other side of town but to my luck, they were sold out and I didn't have a reservation anywhere else.

Usually when I'm in Rouyn, I have no issue booking and finding a hotel room but for some reason, on this particular winter week, everything was booked.
After doing some quick searches via my smartphone, I found the Gouverneur and based on the info on their website, they had rooms available. So, I quickly drove up, went inside and it turns out, I got a great deal. Much less expensive than some of the other hotels in the city, including the one I used to stay at. Which, FYI, by no means had half of the amenities as this one did. I went for the business suite and was not disappointed. Friendly check-in staff, the lady at the front desk was very nice ;) Parking, unfortunately, was outside and had to wonder around towards the back of the hotel to find a spot.

My room had a nice modern 'Euro Feel' to it. It included free WiFi, Mini bar stocked with beer, selections of spirits as well as some items if you get the munchies.

Clean, quiet and a very good value. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mposzt
farsenault, General Manager at Hotel Gouverneur Le Noranda, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank's a lot for your review, it's really appreciated. We look forward to welcome you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Timmins, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

This will be my first review I ever write. I always always read reviews on Trip Advisory prior to booking a trip and I had read many many from this hotel prior to booking and overall was impressed based on the reviews. I called to book a Romantic Package for my wife and I for 1 Night on March 15th. We went to Rouyn specifically for a night away at this hotel. The customer service on the telephone for the booking was amazing. He took the time to walk me through the menu that we would get included within our package and explained everything very well. I called again the next day because I looked at the pictures on the website for the Suites and noticed that there may be two types of rooms. I was hoping to get the room with the sauna however it was already booked. The staff on the phone took the time to explain to me that the room I was getting was much larger and much better. When we arrived we arrived earlier than expected since we were very excited to get a night away from the kids. We went to the hotel early to see if we could get in early and was greeted with an amazing reception. They took the time to guide us with things to do in town while we wait for our room to be ready. They called us 1 hour later just to let us know that it will be another 30 minutes before the room was ready. To me the most important thing in the hotel business is Customer Service and these guys have it perfectly. The room was very very clean. The only thing was between the jacuzzi and shower, a very tight and hard to reach area, seemed to be getting mouldy and the window seemed to be leaking or something since there was tons of water on the window sill. Other than those two things we were amazed by the room. I am happy now we received this room and not the one with the sauna. It was beautiful. I loved the added touch with the bar fridge with reasonably priced beer and wine. We then had the most amazing 2 hour dinner ever in the restaurant. The staff in the hotel were very helpful and professional. Again customer service was amazing. We were told on the phone that we would receive a gift basket when we return to our room from supper and we were very disappointed when it was not there. The next morning at check out they reimbursed us for the gift basket and apologized which did make me feel better about the situation. Overall a very relaxing and romantic place to take a weekend again. They have just gained two new returning customers for many years to come hopefully. Last little thing would be that I suggest a little more shovelling. We had to climb over a few snow banks to get in from the parking lot and the main street but this is very minor just a little touch that they could improve on. Also I was woken up a few times in the night with loud banging, not sure if it was doors or not. I am a very happy customer and look forward to returning hopefully soon!

Room Tip: Room 401 was amazing! Recommend it to everyone.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shawn_amanda_roy
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's very appreciated. We're glad that you've enjoyed your stay and we're sincerly sorry about the missing surprise basket. Thank's for the tip about the shoveling, we'll try to make it better. Hoping to see you back soon.
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

This hotel is right in the heart of things. You don't have to drive anywhere. It was clean and quiet and a very good value. We stayed during -40 weather and it was nice and warm. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
farsenault, General Manager at Hotel Gouverneur Le Noranda, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thanks for your review. We're glad that you've enjoyed your stay and we're hoping to welcome you again soon. Regards
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Very nice hotel, great location, several services available includingan excellent restaurant and a healt center. The bed and the duvet is incredibly comfortable. Great value for your buck as I paid the same price than other lesser quality hotel in the same city. I recommend this hotel 100%.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael R
farsenault, Manager at Hotel Gouverneur Le Noranda, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's really appreciated.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed one night. The rooms are big, the price is average. The room was not clean. It had a layer of dust everywhere, the shower curtain had orange mold at the bottom of the curtain. The water pressure in the shower was very low and the toilet wasn't working properly. When these issues were mentioned to the service desk, the representative told me that "not all employees do their jobs properly, it's unfortunate but it's the reality. " Some maids are lazy and don't do their jobs". I think this type of response to a customer complaint is highly unprofessional. I would not go back there because of my entire experience.

• Stayed August 2013
Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

If ever you need to go to Rouyn-Noranda, this is where you want to stay.

Location is good, rooms are ok. We tried the Suite, it has a weird conference table in the middle and lighting rails in weirder position on the ceiling!

The Classe Affaires (business class) rooms are the best you can get.

What makes Rouyn special is of course the kindness of its citizens but the experience there is to see a hockey match of the local Huskies against, if you're lucky... the Val D'Or (small town close to it) team. We saw the semi-final against the Quebec City Remparts and it was amazing, the 3,500 fans where going to make the arena explode with noise, some very creative as well.

So if you are a die hard NHL fan and want to live the deep up north canadian hockey religion, you'll get it there. Otherwise, a 9-hour drive northwest of Montreal is a hefty price for what you get as a reward.

Go Huskies!

• Stayed April 2013
farsenault, Manager at Hotel Gouverneur Le Noranda, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
We really appeciate the fact that you took time to write a review about our hotel. We would also like to thanked you for cheering for our local hockey club, Go! Huskies! Go!
Ste-Marguerite-du-lac-Masson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed one night in this hotel in December because my flight to Montreal had been cancelled, so I can't say much about the main attractions or the food, but I can say that the Hotel was super clean, comfortable and very nice. I would have liked my flight to be delayed a second day! Great service also!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business