“Nice little spot to stay in St Andrews NB Canada”

The Montague Rose B&B
Ranked #2 of 13 Saint Andrews B&B and Inns
Havre de Grace, Maryland
“Nice little spot to stay in St Andrews NB Canada”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I've been vacationing in Atlantic Canada for the past 20 years, so I feel I know something about the area. From time to time I will stop in St. Andrews on my way to PEI (Prince Edward Island), each time I stay in St. Andrews I try something different, since I am only there for 1 night. Joe and Rose Ann are very nice people, friendly and accommodating, I appreciate that, especially since my husband and I are alway on the GO.
We took the least expensive room (The Jardin Marie room), since it was only 1 night, the room was small but it was quiet and it had a big bathroom with a shower and it was clean. The property is a little timeworn, so don't expect anything new, it's not a Hilton etc., but it's a fair value as B&B go.

1 Thank LFox06

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Maine, USA
Reviewed September 9, 2012

It always feels a little "bad" to have a different view from many of the previous reviews... but I do. It makes me wonder if we stayed at the same b & b. My first view of the Montague was of a building that badly needed repainting. The main entrance had not been raked or groomed in some time.
The bedspread was stained with some kind of oil or "something" and the bed had a hard as a board mattress. Lousy night's sleep ensued.There was no conditioner included with the complementary bathroom toiletries... a minor detail I know, but one I was counting on.
All in all, I had hoped for something better... especially in light of all the previous raves.

2 Thank leaderoftheband
MontagueRose, Owner at The Montague Rose B&B, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
I am sorry you feel bad about your review; maybe a few clarifications are needed.
Due to the fact that we live in harsh seaside environment and the house in your opinion may need a coat of paint, should not detract from your overall experience.
We are located in The Maritimes in Canada and at this time of the year it is fall and the trees do shed their leaves, I am sorry that the entrance was not raked or groomed to your liking but we would need a full time person 24/7 to keep the area clear of falling leaves this time of year. We do have a professional lawn care company attend to our grounds at least once a week this time of year, maybe I need to increase that frequency.
With respect to the beds we have top of the line mattresses and they are in the mid-range of the soft/firmness scale plus the one in your room had a 3 inch feather topper on it. I know some people prefer a soft or a hard mattress, so for a happy medium we chose the medium firmness ones, certainly not hard as a board. The amenities supplied do include a conditioning shampoo which is a combination conditioner and shampoo. Separate conditioners are available upon request. I could not find any evidence of a stain of “something” on the bedspread; I could only surmise that possibly a wet towel was placed on the bed leaving a damp patch
We try to attain a high level of satisfaction in pleasing our guests, to ensure that they are not only satisfied but delighted with their stay, but the old saying is true “you cannot please everyone all the time” but we are serious in trying as attested by others, as you said yourself “especially in light of all the previous raves”
La Crescenta, California
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We really struck gold when we decided to book this bed and breakfast on our way home from Halifax, Nova Scotia! Joe and Rose Ann are so friendly, warm and interesting. We stayed in the Ballyhaunis Room....I was just amazed how upscale the furnishings and bedding are....I loved the paint colors throughout the home and Rose Ann did an absolute fabulous job decorating each room! The breakfast was delicous - Joe is so comfortable with what he does that you just don't want to leave this lovely place. This is the best bed and breakfast you could ever want to stay at and the price is a steal!!!!!!!

Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just wrapped up a 2-week tour of the Maritime Provinces with a 2-night stay in St. Andrews at the Montague Rose. This was by far our best accommodation of the entire trip. This stately B&B is beautifully appointed, super clean and comfortable, and well situated in a quiet (but central) area of historic St. Andrews (easy walking distance to attractions). The breakfast fare was gourmet class indeed, and was elegantly served in the formal dining room. Our hosts were most considerate and attentive, offering pertinent information on local sites and restaurants, and assisting us with the online check-in for our return travel. Great value for money… we highly recommend the Montague Rose.

Venice, Florida
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is a fantastic historic B&B in a gem of a town. My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. The owners were very gracious as we arrived extremely late (after 9:30pm) after a long day of travel from Prince Edward Island. I must say that the bed was super comfortable and all of the linens were of superb quality. It was a very warm day but we were quite comfortable once we placed the portable fan into the extra large window to draw some cooler air into the room. Unfortunately, the bathroom window was sealed shut and could not be opened. Breakfast was exceptional and served in a gorgeous dining room with an original high ceiling. The entire Inn was nicely decorated. In my opinion the rooms could do without individual TV's and painting(antiquing or sponging) the large pine dresser would greatly improve the feel of the room. This B&B is a great stop on the way to or from PEI or Hopewell Rocks!

Courtice
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed only one night in St. Andrews on our road trip. We were very pleased with our stay at the Montague Rose. The history and character in the home is wonderful. Our hosts were wonderful. They have done a very nice job transforming this property into a lovely B&B. Breakfast was wonderful, Joe's stuffed French Toast was the best breakfast we had on our trip.

Holliston, MA
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed one night in St. Andrews on the way up to Prince Edward Island. We have been to St Andrews before and stayed at a few other places. The Montague Rose is our favorite so far because the hosts were so welcoming and the breakfast was so good! I have gluten intolerance and other food allergies and was served a wonderful gluten free muffin and a delicious egg dish.
We also got some good advice for things to do in the extended area. The location is good for walking to the waterfront and our room was beautifully furnished and comfortable. I loved the antique home and furnishings and hope there will be a bit of painting done in the future to perfect the restoration. Since I am a perfectionist and love old houses, I found this to be the only (minor) flaw. I would stay here again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Andrews
#8 of 13 in Saint Andrews
Treadwell Inn
Treadwell Inn
#4 of 13 in Saint Andrews

Been to The Montague Rose B&B? Share your experiences!