“Meh”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint Andrews
Seaside Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Saint Andrews
“Meh”
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night on our way Moncton from Boston.

Our room was okay. We were in the building called "The Steps". We had the back room. The building was strange you actually had to walk by another room to get to ours. Fortunately for us, there was nobody in that room when we were there. My guess is that we would have experienced the paper thin walls everyone else mentioned.

The room itself was okay. Not too small but not too big. If we were there for more than one day, it would have been tough.

Since we were on the top floor the ceiling was not very high because of the eaves of the roof. Being over 6 feet tall this was an annoyance.

The shower was a tub with curtain cutting it in half...kinda strange.

There are no real amenities outside of some seats and grassy area to view the harbor.

It is a 5 minute walk to downtown, which is very nice.

The service was okay. When I asked about the WiFi password, the male owner/operator ( I assume ownership) sort of smartassily told me that it was on the wall. He could have been more friendly.

It was just okay. We paid $169 all in.

If we ever venture back to St. Andrews, I would find another place to stay. Especially for a 2-4 night

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank dcostell_99
1Seaside, Owner at Seaside Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. All reviews are important to us. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. It is always discouraging to hear this
I should explain off the top that we do not operate a "hotel", which perhaps you were expecting. This is a small family-run business that we happily and proudly operate out of our home-office, which we staff from 8am to 11pm daily throughout the season. Our property is unique, which makes it difficult to categorise. We have 23 housekeeping units spread out over nine buildings on a waterfront property. No two rooms are alike and some of the buildings are historic and were once used for other purposes such as family homes, a boat building shop and a livery stable. The walls are not " paper thin" as you often see with modern construction, but neither are they completely soundproof. Most of our guests are very respectful of others and, to be honest, we rarely get a noise complaint. We have done our best to make these units, comfortable, clean and homey, and continue to work on them every year. They appeal to many but not all customers, and we are careful to describe the rooms on our website and when people call to book. The price you quoted includes tax and was for a family of four. Our rates are clearly posted on our website along with several pictures of each unit. We don't want people to be disappointed, so we try our best to let
people know up front what they are choosing and what it will cost.
As for the WiFi, we worked hard to get wireless coverage across our entire idiosyncratic property- no small feat given that one of our units sits right on the beach. There is no extra charge for the WiFi and the password is posted on the wall in each of the rooms. We try to remember to tell people this as they check in, but sometimes forget. My husband is a quiet, reserved and shy man who is sometimes misinterpreted as unfriendly, which is unfortunate, and hurtful to be honest, because neither he nor the rest of my family intend to be unfriendly to any of our guests. One thing I am sure of is that my husband did not respond to you in the way you described. He may have been tired and responded to your question about the password in an unembellished and straightforward way, but I can assure you he intended only to help you find the password and not to offend you.
In any case, St. Andrews is a beautiful town with a variety of places to stay, mostly operated by hard-working small-business owners hoping you will enjoy your time with them. If you do choose to return and plan to stay during the summer, especially between mid-July and the third week of August, it is advisable to consult the New Brunswick or St. Andrews tourism sites and book well in advance so you can secure something that best suits your needs.

Beth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Wolfville, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed in the Harbourview One unit at the end of July for two nights. The unit is perfect for one person, however, there is a small bed in the loft that could accomodate a child or small adult. The shower stall was very tiny, and I doubt a larger lady or regular size man would fit very well. The toilet was a bit loose and jiggling. The entire unit needed a good dusting and the stove top had a lingering smell of old bacon grease. The cottage was well decorated and the bed was comfortable. The best thing was the large window that looked right out over the water, a beautiful view morning and night. The beach however was disappointing. It was dirty which is surprising for a town that boasts its location to the water. The accomodations are close to downtown, so you can walk to shops and restaurants. There was some confusion with my booking and deposit. Overall, a very good choice.

Room Tip: Ask which units look out over the water.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tarina2013
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We spent two nights in the Sunrise room and quite enjoyed it. The room was small but clean and comfortable. It is right on the ocean and was wonderful to spend our mornings walking the beach and our evenings enjoying the high tide right up to the property. We had all our meals at the property and the unit was fairly well equipped. Some necessary items were missing in the unit and likely transferred over to other units. Nice to dine on our deck with the view. What was missing was having a gas barbecue to use. Even setting just a few up to share would be welcomed. There were two large family gatherings going on when we checked in and while I appreciate they were all having fun, it was extremely noisy as one of the rooms they were staying in was right above us. They checked out the next night and it was quite peaceful and quiet that night. There have been many comments about the hosts of this property and I agree that they are not welcoming. I felt like I was intruding when we were checking in. There was very little contact with them so it did not effect our stay too much but I must say we travelled for one month through the maritimes and this was the most uncomfortable I felt around my hosts.

Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I went to this resort with my 80 yr. old mother ( B'day gift ) and another girlfriend and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! The cottage we stayed at was the Seagull and it was right on the water with the most beautiful view of the sailboats going in and out. We found everything to be immaculate, well equipped and we did have a microwave and towel change every day. The resort was very quiet and our location private & so relaxing. As for the gentleman that works there my Mom needed to have her oxygen condenser lifted out of our car and taken down to our cottage and he was very accommodating. The staff at the front desk also very graciously printed off a coupon for us for the Ganong Chocolate Museum which is really a "must see" if you are in that area. The museum is located in St. Stephen and only about 20 min. or so away but well worth a visit! Unfortunately, as much as we loved this resort I cannot give the resort a 5 star simply because of the beach this resort is located on. There is a better beach further on that you can go to but the resort beach is not only dirty but very dangerous especially for children but I MUST point out this is NOT the fault of the resort. The problem lies squarely on the town and the province. When the tide is in you would NOT be able to see all this but if you swim or walk the beach when the tide is out you really need to exert extreme caution especially with children who love to run on the beach not watching where they are going. Be sure to wear water shoes!! The beach is rocky which we didn't mind but there is lots of broken glass, broken dishes, old wire & spikes sticking up from the sand from pre-existing wharves, broken chairs that have just been flung over the bank, bricks, cement etc. I can't believe the town of St. Andrews hasn't applied for a grant of sorts to do a beach clean-up for these businesses that bring so much money into their town! Possibly something for them to look in to........

Room Tip: The Seagull cottage has a lovely large deck and very private. Bring water shoes for the beach!! No...
1 Thank Sharon G
Ontario
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and three children and I stayed here June 29 - with the intention of whale watching the next day. Unfortunately due to a storm our adventure was cancelled and we moved on to other parts of the province. We enjoyed our night stay so much that we changed our vacation plans and returned to Saint Andrews three weeks later for a two night stay in the same unit (11). Our cottage was extremely clean, we all had our own very comfortable beds, and we felt very much at home here. The only thing that might have been missing was a microwave in the kitchen. The property is very well maintained, and we will stay here again if the opportunity arises. Beautiful little village to explore.

Saint John, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort last year with a number of out of town family. The resort itself was wonderful. The cabins were quaint and the location was excellent. We travelled with a small dog who was always with us, never left unattended. When we booked, we did inform we would be travelling with a dog so this was not a surprise but when we went to check in, the gentleman that checked us in was not welcoming and pleasant. He seemed miffed that we had a dog (this dog is less than 20lbs so not very big and super friendly). I understand that we all have "off" days, but in this industry, you need to put on a happy face when dealing with guests checking in. I can understand this behaviour if we were loud, destructive, disruptive etc but not when you walk through the door for the first time ever.

That being said, we thoroughly enjoyed the actual resort. The cabins were nice. No microwaves though which would have made dinner prep a little easier. Beds were comfortable, did not find the pillows too thin. Loved the little BBQ's along the edge of the beach. The beach was great. The sunsets were amazing.

We will be going back to this resort only because we enjoyed the location, not for the hospitality shown us. Crossing my fingers this visit will be a friendlier visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bunnikins62
Maidstone, Ontario
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in a beautiful cottage right on the Bay. Great views of the pier and bay.
Highly recommend for anyone staying in this beautiful town of Saint Andrews on the Sea.
Loved the town and the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple