“Outstanding service, magnificent views and excellent food”
Review of Kingsbrae Arms

Kingsbrae Arms
Ranked #8 of 13 Saint Andrews B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 10, 2009

It is always such a pleasure to go back to Kinsgbrae Arms. The owners are always so welcoming and accomodating. The food is amazing w/ a wonderful wine selection. The staff is very friendly and efficient.Loved every minute of it, worth every penny. Great garden views. They know how to make one feel special....they truly went above and beyond to make our annniversary even more special.I recommend the Pinnacle suite. Thank you,

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarielChicago

Reviewed August 27, 2008

Our initial stay at Kingsbrae was on the recommendation of a friend. All of our stays have exceeded the recommendation, and we can't find a hotel of similar quality to return the favor.

The food makes the trip worthwhile by itself; but what makes Kingsbrae exceptional is the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff. They put a lustre on a truly elegant and beautiful property.

It's a long trek from the mountains of North Carolina; but, boy, is it ever worth the effort.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Though well kept, very clean, and tastefully done in the public rooms, there is nothing in this experience to justify the price, and no excuse for the add ons that are not disclosed at check in. The accomodations, though nice, compared to others I've found along the coast at a fraction of these rates in any currency.

The bathroom was impressive with jacuzzi and multiple nozzle shower heads, to be sure. But the fit and finish of the rest of the "suite" was just ok, most of the furniture, art and bedding were knock offs and nothing special. Service was pleasant, but, I felt insincere, and dinner though good left no lasting memory. What was it I had?

The real problem, however, goes to the bill which, though expected to be high also included inexplicable surprises. Why for example did a "dinner included" rate suffer a (non-disclosed at check in) $63 ad a "15% service charge' (this would mean the "dinner" portion of my $535 daily rate was $420) bringing each nights stay north of $700? My fault was of course not challenging this, but, I came here to get away from nasty surprises. There is no excuse for this. I paid it and vowed not to come back.

By the by, I too have stayed at Relais and Chateaux establishments world wide and have never questioned value as I do here. I would suggest that others consider Trip Advisors suggestions of local top inns before they burn a hole in their wallets on this one.

• Stayed: July 2008
5  Thank JawsofMaine
Reviewed July 20, 2008

My girlfriend and I have stayed at dozens of Relais and Chateaux properties from South America to the South of France, St. Barths and beyond. Kingsbrae Arms ranks up with the very best properties of the world. Located within a short walking distance to the center of "Saint Andrews By the Bay", the hotel sits perched overlooking the Bay (with incredible water views) and world class Kingsbrae Gardens next door. The property is built like a large compound with prestine gardens, a trickling fountain and a very private, sparkling clean pool in the back of the property--far enough for plenty of privacy but close enough to be noticed by a staff member who came by to ask if they could bring us anything.
Our suite had the feel of an elaborate country farm house. Spacious, with many angles, equestrian artwork on the walls, deep, rich colors and (best of all) completely spotless. The bathroom was very spacious, done with beautiful stonework, and left you feeling that a good part of your visit just might be spent relaxing between the jacuzzi (my girlfriend's favorite bathroom feature) and the shower with multiple shower heads (my fav!) Kingsbrae opened their doors to us at the very start of the season and it was understood that the 3 days we were there, they would not be serving dinner. This is not a usual practice for them--just unlucky timing on our part since we had heard from other returning guests that their dinners were 5-star. If their breakfasts were any indication what their dinners are like--well, we've already decided to go back just to sit in their dining room again. I had a duck confit frittata that was "over the top" and my partner had the best eggs Benedict she's ever had. Another morning was smoked salmon potato cakes--one of the best breakfasts I'VE ever had! To be honest, the dinners we had in town were good. Nothing fancy, nothing to write home about (or mention in a review), but fun, and we met some nice staff. If you like to vacation like royalty keep to Kingsbrae's kitchen--the alternatives are like night and day (although we really DID like the cafe at Kingsbrae Gardens for an outdoor lunch). This hotel is truly world class!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank poolhopper
Reviewed July 19, 2008

This past June - my husband and I booked into Kingsbrae Arms. We were tired and overworked and needed a "real" vacation from the world. Not ever visiting the Maritimes - we were a little worried but as soon as we arrived - the house and staff and kitchen did its job - turning two very needy people into a very relaxed and happy couple. The food and wine - magnificent surprise. The suites - splendid. The gardens - gorgeous and the service - beyond anything we might have expected. We are still reeling from our visit to Kingsbrae and will return often. Don't think about it - just go - you will be elated.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 10, 2007

Beautiful rooms, amazing food, exceptional service. Cannot say enough nice things about this wonderful place. My husband, our one year old son and his grandparents were treated like royalty. Feels like being entertained at a beautiful private home. Expensive but well worth it.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2007

After having a wonderful experience at Kingsbrae Arms, I can't wait until I can make the trip up there again. The hospitality my friend and I experienced there was warm, the food delicious, the rooms wonderfully appointed, the scenery beautiful.

I'm not a big foodie, but I was constantly amazed with meals we were served.

I look forward to staying at Kingsbrae again one day...

Stayed: May 2007